Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to fathom dropping him while the rest of the midfield fumbles around.

We were destroyed on the inside and our cleanest player is watching on.

For his sake, he should look elsewhere.

He isn't good enough at AFL level. People keep banging on about him being clean and tidy when he gets it maybe 12-15 times and can't run

I’m very tempted to follow Will to whichever club he goes to. Good luck to him and f*** this rabble.
He's the cleanest player in the middle apart from Sheezel and dedicated himself to any task for the team.

We've had enough indicators the kid can play but cue him thriving elsewhere and everyone writing it off because "he was never going to do that here" because of "reasons".

Well I watched Willip on the rank arena in the second half. Well the third quarter and I thought gee he doesn’t look physically developed at all. His legs to the untrained eye looked like they belonged under a desk at Abacus & Sons accountancy firm. Not in the heat of battle on the famed turf of Farkenfertur oval.

And that is on him and no one else, a shame it is.
To be fair, I think he was wearing Mick Nolans’ shorts!

He's the cleanest player in the middle apart from Sheezel and dedicated himself to any task for the team.

We've had enough indicators the kid can play but cue him thriving elsewhere and everyone writing it off because "he was never going to do that here" because of "reasons".

I’ll be keeping a close eye on wherever he ends up. Same as Levi when he went to Collingwood.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on wherever he ends up. Same as Levi when he went to Collingwood.
****ing Levi.

We had such a strong 2014 because of his contribution to the midfield depth. I could see it, you could see it, most punters could see it.

But our list managers didn't. Collingwood's did though.

He's not gone until he's gone.

****ing Levi.

We had such a strong 2014 because of his contribution to the midfield depth. I could see it, you could see it, most punters could see it.

But our list managers didn't. Collingwood's did though.

From memory, injuries meant that he got a decent run at it in 2014 and finished either runner-up or third in the Syd (correct..?)
And his speech was awkward AF because he was already out the door.

Yep. Since 2012 this club seems to have hated true Shinboners (current Greenwood included, coincidence that he has the same surname).

This club gladly waves goodbye to hard nuts who bleed blue and white, while happily signing soft, pedestrian back flankers to longterm deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also not sure why you're disagreeing with my post Chadwiko , what are you seeing to the contrary? He's literally averaging 12-15 touches at senior level and had five after half time last week (with no Wardlaw and a hobbled Sheezel). He also struggles to win a lot of footy at VFL level too

Will be sad to see him go, however happy for him.

It's no surprise where we are at as a football club when you have a guy like this who bleeds blue & white, is involved in the younger leadership program, plays selfless roles for the team, play multiple roles that aren't preferred. First to be dropped.

Whilst you have guys like Fisher, Stephens who don't do any of these things. Straight into the 22.

Don't have to look far to understand what's wrong with the club.

He's not gone until he's gone.
100%. At this point last year I thought Kallan Dawson was gone. He only played one senior game all year, it looked for all intents and purposes that the club didn't rate him, then out of nowhere they offered him a one year deal for 2024.

100%. At this point last year I thought Kallan Dawson was gone. He only played one senior game all year, it looked for all intents and purposes that the club didn't rate him, then out of nowhere they offered him a one year deal for 2024.
That had more to do with allowing McKay to walk and Logue being injured. We needed any old defender. And it appears we weren’t overly convinced in Dawson as we proceeded to move Comben back, recruit Biggie and Pink and then draft Dawson. One key defender out. A couple of ordinary key defenders onto the list. Brain Dead says Problem Solved. :stern look

Will be sad to see him go, however happy for him.

It's no surprise where we are at as a football club when you have a guy like this who bleeds blue & white, is involved in the younger leadership program, plays selfless roles for the team, play multiple roles that aren't preferred. First to be dropped.

Whilst you have guys like Fisher, Stephens who don't do any of these things. Straight into the 22.

Don't have to look far to understand what's wrong with the club.

Fisher and Stephens do what they are employed to do. Will is as well. It is just that Will has a fair bit of competition where the other two simply don't. It isn't their fault that their spots are understocked. It is clear we need either a big bodied mid or another quick 2-way running mid (my preference) and that just adds another competitor on top of Colby for next year. As I have said a few times, Will but also Powell and even Jy are likely to be in the same position over the next 24 months if we get Pick 1/2 right.

From memory, injuries meant that he got a decent run at it in 2014 and finished either runner-up or third in the Syd (correct..?)
And his speech was awkward AF because he was already out the door.

Yep. Since 2012 this club seems to have hated true Shinboners (current Greenwood included, coincidence that he has the same surname).

This club gladly waves goodbye to hard nuts who bleed blue and white, while happily signing soft, pedestrian back flankers to longterm deals.
We stiffed him. Wanted 450k we offered 350k. Apparently would have settled with 400k. Terrible list management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back