Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I like Will, writing may be on the wall here. Best result would be getting a second rounder or F2 for him. Had he never had glandular who knows how things may have panned out, but ultimately it's his lack of positional flexibility that is keeping him out.

Won’t be getting a second rounder for him. Best case scenario if Richmond does end up being the destination. We package up Will and our second rounder to get up and grab one of the teens selections tigers will get for Rioli/Bolton/Baker. On his own we’ll probably get a 3rd at best.

In saying that, if the split is messy he could very well be a psd option for them.

Won’t be getting a second rounder for him. Best case scenario if Richmond does end up being the destination. We package up Will and our second rounder to get up and grab one of the teens selections tigers will get for Rioli/Bolton/Baker. On his own we’ll probably get a 3rd at best.

In saying that, if the split is messy he could very well be a psd option for them.
Oh the ironing that would be

I’m not sure what to think with WP.

Pro’s - He’s a neat player, decent vision and tackles well.

He’s just such a poor spreader and and his possessions seem to come in real clusters and he appears to be a something of a liability the rest of them time.

I like him as a kid and I’d love to see what he could do with 1 more pre-season but he’s got Paddy Dow/Jimmy Toumpas vibes currently

I can’t believe I’ve “liked” & agreed on 2 things in a row with you Nostra! 😊👏
I reckon I’m even warming to a Finbar debut next week 😊👍
Great times ahead with you champ 💪
Nice to see you are finally taking your medication... ;) :laughv1:

Hard to watch today.

Played midfield all day, it was basically Will and Laz against Jacob Dawson and Boyd Woodcock. Laz tried and ran hard but nothing was clean and he had no help at all from Will. Will was at most stoppages where he was okay but did no damage at all, then he somehow disappeared. Whilst Dawson and Woodcock ran riot, Will refused to chase, provide overlap run or be an outlet coming out of defense. Seriously lazy performance, probably his last in our jumper.
& last in our famous number 29.
Honestly & you can say it’s easy in hindsight but Will has not changed much since his junior days. He’s exactly the same type player . One paced , only a midfielder at best , small with neat skills & plays in patches .
He was like that at Oakleigh chargers . Even before his unfortunate glandular fever & Covid etc at North.
Rowell was 1 year ahead of him & Daicos a year after at the Chargers. He played with both & In other was words “nothing outstanding/ special “ but for his leadership qualities which stood & was so overwhelming repeated by our draft selection committee! “Leadership qualities “
I remember writing here a few years ago about this very thing … Will is a great team player , footy brain , future coach & type of kid you wished your daughter brought home … but unfortunately this is not enough & what is required at this level
Logan Mac or Elijah H would have been a much better selection who both showed then & are still showing a much higher ceiling.
Will will be the same limited player for the rest of his career whoever picks him up .
Good luck kid & thanks for wearing the blue & white with a genuine true love for our club & your heart & soul .
Go North !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind him and I would like him to stay but he’s gone.

He won’t want to stay and he will get an offer which includes regular first team football in his preferred position.

Anyone trying to convince themselves or others that he’ll be a NM player in 2024 is deluded. He may have already informed the club of his plans.

Yeah you’re right. It would be a sight to behold seeing him attempt to play on the outside…
This might blow your mind but you can shuffle the team around to accomodate

I’d rather an extra inside mid than shiels

We’ve got bailey and stephens on the wings and can roll others there like fish/kerch etc

I don’t mind him and I would like him to stay but he’s gone.

He won’t want to stay and he will get an offer which includes regular first team football in his preferred position.

Anyone trying to convince themselves or others that he’ll be a NM player in 2024 is deluded. He may have already informed the club of his plans.

More likely the club has informed him of their plans.

Well I watched Willip on the rank arena in the second half. Well the third quarter and I thought gee he doesn’t look physically developed at all. His legs to the untrained eye looked like they belonged under a desk at Abacus & Sons accountancy firm. Not in the heat of battle on the famed turf of Farkenfertur oval.

And that is on him and no one else, a shame it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back