Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

l have been told that Wills management and the club are currently working on details regarding a new contract. l'm thinking he's staying but not sure on the length of the new contract...

Last edited:
Sat near the boys in the stand yesterday, saw Wilphil a couple times ect. Had his hood pulled up over his face a lot, looked pretty despondent - I mean so did I getting smashed by the dogs but this was pre game.
l have been told that Wills management and the club are currently working on details regarding a new contract. l'm thinking he's staying but not sure on the length of the new contract...

That had more to do with allowing McKay to walk and Logue being injured. We needed any old defender. And it appears we weren’t overly convinced in Dawson as we proceeded to move Comben back, recruit Biggie and Pink and then draft Dawson. One key defender out. A couple of ordinary key defenders onto the list. Brain Dead says Problem Solved. :stern look

So we should have kept McKay?

So we should have kept McKay?
Yep. I would’ve kept McKay. I was as fascinated as you were after the Freo game that supporters weren’t excited when we didn’t offer McKay a contract. McKay ain’t as bad as some of clowns on this forum have suggested. I heard crickets yesterday and last week in regards to Comben’s defending etc. Had that been McKay, boy oh boy. Remember Snrubs. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look

Yep. I would’ve kept McKay. I was as fascinated as you were after the Freo game that supporters weren’t excited when we didn’t offer McKay a contract. McKay ain’t as bad as some of clowns on this forum have suggested. I heard crickets yesterday and last week in regards to Comben’s defending etc. Had that been McKay, boy oh boy. Remember Snrubs. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look
Lol well your posts about anything related to list management just lost any credibility. :stern look

I don't think I'm a clown and Magoo is bad, nine years in the system and Comben has had one year in the backline, and numerous missed years with injury.

HArdly a fair fight and fwiw Comben is a fwd who will relief ruck and Magoo didn't want to play fwd or relief ruck. Comben is hard as a cats head and Magoo is as soft as a pensioners turd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he does get another couple tbh. I believe he has the skills - just needs to find his place, a good run fitness wise and the confidence will come back.
l still believe he has the talent to make it with us and would give him 2 more years . He's done it tough..

2021 plays his first game...
2022 get hits with Covid AND Glandular Fever in the same year and starts 2023 with virtually no fitness base.
2023 -2024 still trying to get back but it improving..

He's coming from 2 years behind everyone else from the 2020 draft regarding a fitness base. l'm seeing him as starting his career from 2023 so he's still in the early stages.

I personally have battled worse and my savior and what got me back in shape was the gym. Willip could actually give it a go.
l agree with going to a gym helps as it has always been my savior also, however with Will he no doubt would do gym work at the club and the guy is very professional when it comes to fitness levels unlike some others at the club.

l still believe he has the talent to make it with us and would give him 2 more years . He's done it tough..

2021 plays his first game...
2022 get hits with Covid AND Glandular Fever in the same year and starts 2023 with virtually no fitness base.
2023 -2024 still trying to get back but it improving..

He's coming from 2 years behind everyone else from the 2020 draft regarding a fitness base. l'm seeing him as starting his career from 2023 so he's still in the early stages.
Will's own words, reflecting on 2023:

"That led to potentially some inconsistency last year. But I reflect back on the good games I played and I was playing off instinct and I was fit enough and I was able to cover the ground. The games where I wasn't playing well, it felt like I was almost internally using glandular as an excuse. It's taught me a lot about how important your mindset is and it's taught me a lot about resilience."

I like him and wish him well. I reckon there's an AFL player there, so I hope he gets a crack at a club that needs his type in the midfield. He probably needs a fresh environment and it will hopefully also help his mindset. He's simply not displacing LDU, Harry, George, Kerch, etc. which means his midfield time will always be limited.

Lol well your posts about anything related to list management just lost any credibility. :stern look
Turn it up Chubbs. Where was the adequate replacement for letting McKay walk? Comben? So we rob Peter to pay Paul? And with that pick we drafted another general forward. Like we really needed another one of those. I know what I’m talking about. It is you who is blinded. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look

Turn it up Chubbs. Where was the adequate replacement for letting McKay walk? Comben? So we rob Peter to pay Paul? And with that pick we drafted another general forward. Like we really needed another one of those. I know what I’m talking about. It is you who is blinded. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look
There wasn't really an adequate replacement apart from Comben. To suggest McKay is anything more than a serviceable back shoulder defender is ludicrous. He loses 1 v 1 contests which was his one real asset and panics when he gets the footy and misses basic targets by hand and foot. He ain't no May or Sam Taylor who stands up in finals.
As for Comben it's his first year as a defender vs Magoo with 8 odd years. Magoo is no good. :burn look

There wasn't really an adequate replacement apart from Comben. To suggest McKay is anything more than a serviceable back shoulder defender is ludicrous. He loses 1 v 1 contests which was his one real asset and panics when he gets the footy and misses basic targets by hand and foot. He ain't no May or Sam Taylor who stands up in finals.
As for Comben it's his first year as a defender vs Magoo with 8 odd years. Magoo is no good. :burn look

I don’t know why anyone would bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back