Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Powell is the icing. This is huge call that I am willing to live with, but if we ever go deep in the finals, Powell won’t be the reason we got there.
Maybe not as a pure mid, but as a HB he may well be. Then he's pretty handy around the goals as well on both feet. HB is one of those positions where players can rack it up. I believe with his vision and skills he'd be a real weapon for us there. He's also the sort, that with the forward presses can run through though the 50 arc to goal. What attributes does Houston have that Powell doesn't?

It's frankly a shit role and very hard to play well.
That it is, but Simpkin has the engine and work rate for it.

On Phillips id love for him to make it with us, but seems more likely now he'll find a new home. If we can get a top 30 pick or upgrade a later pick into the top 30 for him its probably a reasonable result. That pick may bag us Sims for example.

They aint got nuffin on me mate. I am not liking what I am seeing. I gave the bloke a red hot chance 4 years ago, knowing full well his skills were deplorable. The burden of leadership impacted his game. He thought he could but he cant. He needs to put his hand up and say “boys, ive done all I can, you campaigners are killing me here. DuckYeah wants to trade me for a packet of home brand smiths chips”

He can stay on the list but right now, i’d be having Phillips over him in the middle 💯

Hang on mate we talking Coles/Woolies brand or we talking about these bad boys?

1724293283325.png

I have heard that this is the exact opposite of how people who know Jy describe him

I just don't buy the premise that a bloke who is way too into himself ahead of the team gets voted in by the players as captain. Say what you like about the system of players electing the captain, but the one thing you're guaranteed to get is a selfless and loyal leader who puts the team ahead of his own interests.

I love WP and I really think he compliments our mids. For whatever reason our coaching staff see it differently, I thought Clarko would love him as his hardened approach to the ball, clean disposal and somebody you can rely on to do the 1%ers…but the writing is on the wall, if he doesn’t get named this week then I think his locker won’t be long until it’s cleaned out. The fact that Hardeman and W Dawson have been offered contracts and WP hasn’t been offered / signed anything this far shows one or two of the parties aren’t meeting in the middle.

I’d love for him to get named this week and then sign a deal before trade period starts to put to bed speculation, but I’m not sure it will turn out that way.

I feel like he played his best footy under Ratten when he was interim. Weird, I’m sure wherever he stays/ends up there be a footballer somewhere.

I’d love for him to get named this week and then sign a deal before trade period starts to put to bed speculation, but I’m not sure it will turn out that way.
In all honesty it might be in both Will and the Club's interests to not sign before trade period.

Last edited:
l have been told that Wills management and the club are currently working on details regarding a new contract. l'm thinking he's staying but not sure on the length of the new contract...
Good mail.

Definitely something has shifted after Sundays game.

He's back in the side for this weeks game and perhaps is now part of future plans?
Choice remains Will's but he's fiercely loyal and loves the place too much to abandon ship or not die wondering. I gather hed rather stay and fight for his spot then go play footy elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good mail.

Definitely something has shifted after Sundays game.

He's back in the side for this weeks game and perhaps is now part of future plans?
Choice remains Will's but he's fiercely loyal and loves the place too much to abandon ship or not die wondering. I gather hed rather stay and fight for his spot then go play footy elsewhere.
Not having a go, but what could've shifted? Does Clarko suddenly think he's worthwhile after that shitheap of a midfield performance from everyone else? I'm struggling to think of any plausible reason for a sudden twist like this

Not having a go, but what could've shifted? Does Clarko suddenly think he's worthwhile after that shitheap of a midfield performance from everyone else? I'm struggling to think of any plausible reason for a sudden twist like this
Just backing up what kk has been posting.

Greenwood gone, Shiels gone, Viney isn't a thing.
Watching how the midfield played on Sunday perhaps there is a place for a defensively minded mid, who knows?

Future may be more optimistic is all. This time last week being dropped after that shit loss against West Coast, felt he was made the scapegoat when in reality it was the senior players who let the side down.

Just backing up what kk has been posting.

Greenwood gone, Shiels gone, Viney isn't a thing.
Watching how the midfield played on Sunday perhaps there is a place for a defensively minded mid, who knows?

Future may be more optimistic is all. This time last week being dropped after that shit loss against West Coast, felt he was made the scapegoat when in reality it was the senior players who let the side down.
This is the only external element that has shifted that's public knowledge. They may also have been feeling out a dozen or so other players for all we know (Clarko said as much), and if they've got no traction elsewhere perhaps they've reevaluated their internal options?

I've thought for a while whether he makes it or not he isn't the worst on the current list, and there's a conga line of people I'd delist before him.

They had to play someone though.

It's unlikely Phillips, Hansen Jnr and Drury will all be on the list next year, so we can't jump to too many conclusions from who's been named.

I'd be keeping them in that order FYI.

1000015844.png

Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back