Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He has signed and committed.
There is no 2 year deal or offers he is considering from Richmond or Geelong.
Needs a massive preseason. For so many reasons. I think his body's failed him and will continue to do so but he'll know to throw absolutely everything at this final shot

Fwiw Ross ‘pervert’ Lyon absolutely sprayed Neale for being short and unfit, in a blink of an eye he’s won 2 Brownlows.

now that he has allegedly signed I can breathe a big sigh of relief because I was shit scared of him getting traded to another club, rapidly develop and getting laughed at again.

He has signed and committed.
There is no 2 year deal or offers he is considering from Richmond or Geelong.
Given that Tom Morris had the yarn about the one year offer, and there wasn't any suggestion about whether he'd sign on not, I assumed either:
1) Will's manager told TM to suss out the interest in the marketplace, or
2) it was North dropping the hint, hoping to bring out other takers for the modest draft capital.

In either case, it didn't seem likely he'd sign soon and I'm surprised to hear that he may well have already.

Given that Tom Morris had the yarn about the one year offer, and there wasn't any suggestion about whether he'd sign on not, I assumed either:
1) Will's manager told TM to suss out the interest in the marketplace, or
2) it was North dropping the hint, hoping to bring out other takers for the modest draft capital.

In either case, it didn't seem likely he'd sign soon and I'm surprised to hear that he may well have already.
Tom Morris didn’t get shit

Fwiw Ross ‘pervert’ Lyon absolutely sprayed Neale for being short and unfit, in a blink of an eye he’s won 2 Brownlows.

now that he has allegedly signed I can breathe a big sigh of relief because I was shit scared of him getting traded to another club, rapidly develop and getting laughed at again.

Bit harsh to spray a guy for being short!

Mind you, the saints crew have no issues throwing short people at a dartboard, so maybe a spray was a better option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After seeing multiple Freo players handle the ball as if it was alive, I would prefer that we keep a one touch player that is unfit and try to get them fit, rather than the other way round.

My view is that he is pacing himself during games as he is worried about his fitness. Unfortunately, that does not cut it at AFL level.

Neale is a good role model for him. Another is Liam Baker who is also a similar size.

After seeing multiple Freo players handle the ball as if it was alive, I would prefer that we keep a one touch player that is unfit and try to get them fit, rather than the other way round.

My view is that he is pacing himself during games as he is worried about his fitness. Unfortunately, that does not cut it at AFL level.

Neale is a good role model for him. Another is Liam Baker who is also a similar size.
He's been fumbly all year and if he's pacing himself at AFL level and not cutting it what explains his VFL form?

He's been fumbly all year and if he's pacing himself at AFL level and not cutting it what explains his VFL form?
I see the pacing more at VFL level, which is why he does not rack up numbers like he should be doing if he wants to play AFL.

The only time I have seen him really gassed is when he was tagging for 2-3 weeks, and I thought the coaches were trying to teach him about the intensity required at the level. But then when he went back to the VFL he reverted to a lower level of intensity and did not push himself to get involved in chains, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back