Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say he's a waste of a list spot. There's plenty of others ahead of him.
Not like we couldn't take pick 40/58/64 to the draft if we really wanted to. Plenty we could pay out and move on.
He can't crack 30 in the two's. He's very lucky to be on a list, there'd be 30+ inside mids around the state leagues that had better years than him.

He can't crack 30 in the two's. He's very lucky to be on a list, there'd be 30+ inside mids around the state leagues that had better years than him.
If we really wanted to take an inside mid from a state league, we could make room easily even with Will on the list.
Any of Taylor/Stevo/CCJ/Nyuon/Pink/Lazzaro/Bergman/Harvey could be moved on to take that player.

I wouldn't say he's a waste of a list spot. There's plenty of others ahead of him.
Not like we couldn't take pick 40/58/64 to the draft if we really wanted to. Plenty we could pay out and move on.
And we should pay them out too. With Will, it just seems like the club has spent so long defending the decision to draft him that it can't acknowledge it was a stuff up and move on. He isn't the worst player on our list, but he is the worst we have re-signed this year. We could get far better depth for free from the state leagues. Or use his spot to churn through rookies. He clearly isn't going to make it, I don't see how keeping him benefits us.

And we should pay them out too. With Will, it just seems like the club has spent so long defending the decision to draft him that it can't acknowledge it was a stuff up and move on. He isn't the worst player on our list, but he is the worst we have re-signed this year. We could get far better depth for free from the state leagues. Or use his spot to churn through rookies. He clearly isn't going to make it, I don't see how keeping him benefits us.
**** mate did he run over your dog too?

Worst player we’ve signed this year? Brayden george hasn’t played a single game and got signed for 2 years. Did you not see the job he done on Daicos and Clarry? FMD

If he hadn't had the setbacks he has had I would agree we should move on from Will.
I think he needs an extra 12 months to build his fitness compared to Laz and Powell imo.
We will know for certain this year if he doesn't have it after two proper preseasons under Clarko's watch.

Last edited:
If he hadn't had the setbacks he has had I would agree we should move on from Will.
I think he needs an extra 12 months to build his fitness compared to Laz and Powell imo.
We will know for certain this year if he doesn't have it after two proper preseasons under Clarko's watch.
I thought the same six months ago, but his ceiling just seems to get lower and lower every time I watch him. Even if he gets his fitness up, the type of player he would become is a dime a dozen and not one we have a great need for. We could get a better replacement now for free.

We need to be more ruthless with these decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** mate did he run over your dog too?

Worst player we’ve signed this year? Brayden george hasn’t played a single game and got signed for 2 years. Did you not see the job he done on Daicos and Clarry? FMD
I've watched him a lot - but I'm not looking through your rose-coloured glasses. His strengths will never overcome his weaknesses.

You are a strange one. In the first half of the season you were keen on explaining how bad X was going - when he was clearly flying. Now you are doing the opposite with Will, talking him up when he is clearly struggling.

I've watched him a lot - but I'm not looking through your rose-coloured glasses. His strengths will never overcome his weaknesses.

You are a strange one. In the first half of the season you were keen on explaining how bad X was going - when he was clearly flying. Now you are doing the opposite with Will, talking him up when he is clearly struggling.
Hmm, I think I was more pointing to the fact that his ruck work or tap, catch and fumble was hurting us- which it was.

You’ve posted previously in here multiple times about how we could go to the state leagues and get a better replacement than him right now….. dude we have half the team who have been in the AFL system for years that can’t hit a target 30-40m away…. Phillips isn’t one of them. Regardless of your agenda against him, he stays in until either one of our captains can be trusted to hit an open target while under pressure

Hmm, I think I was more pointing to the fact that his ruck work or tap, catch and fumble was hurting us- which it was.

You’ve posted previously in here multiple times about how we could go to the state leagues and get a better replacement than him right now….. dude we have half the team who have been in the AFL system for years that can’t hit a target 30-40m away…. Phillips isn’t one of them. Regardless of your agenda against him, he stays in until either one of our captains can be trusted to hit an open target while under pressure
He is a neat but non-penetrating kick, that is better than some, but it isn't enough to make it when it is his biggest asset. As far as my agenda goes, there are at least sixteen players like Will that I want gone over the next two years - twelve this year. Will is the only one of them we've extended (other than Pink who hit a contract trigger). I'm not sure how we are going to clean up our mess of a list whilst we cling to players like him.

He is a neat but non-penetrating kick, that is better than some, but it isn't enough to make it when it is his biggest asset. As far as my agenda goes, there are at least sixteen players like Will that I want gone over the next two years - twelve this year. Will is the only one of them we've extended (other than Pink who hit a contract trigger). I'm not sure how we are going to clean up our mess of a list whilst we cling to players like him.
Surely his biggest asset are his hands close in the contest? Idk maybe we see it differently.

Also have you watched how we have played over the past few years, post culling such a high number of players? I don’t think it’s the right way to go, especially with Tasmania coming into the system.

We can’t afford to be cellar dwellers anymore

Last edited:
In four years he averages five kicks a game and they're not all hitting the target. He is a neat but shallow kick. Also under two marks a game, Neale averaged close to five for the season. He can't create separation.

Surely his biggest asset are his hands close in the contest? Idk maybe we see it differently.

Also have you watched how we have played over the past few years, post culling such a high number of players? I don’t think it’s the right way to go, especially with Tasmania coming into the system.

No, I agree, he has good hands too. If he got it more it would help his case. But mids spend the vast majority of their time running and it's his biggest weakness. If he can somehow fix that, he could get by.

We have a talented core of young players but are weak or missing in key areas, and inside mids isn't one of them. Rather than hold onto players we don't think will make it, I'd prefer to keep churning until we hit enough good ones. And if we do hold any fringe types they should be in areas of need - talls, small forwards, anyone who can run. To me Tassie just makes it more important that we hit the draft hard now.

I think that's the point. Will brodie would be an instant upgrade and make us better, averaging 29 in the WAFL. Stuck behind a strong freo midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back