Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope he makes it, we cannot afford him to be no good.
I really hope he makes it.

I don’t think it’ll make or break us if he doesn’t.

We have more top end draft talent on the list now than at any point in the past.

We have pick 2 and a probable top 5 pick next year.

I also think the majority of posters can hold more than one position on a topic at a time.

I can want him to make it.
I can be optimistic that he will.
I can be underwhelmed by what we’ve seen so far.
I can think he needs to take his opportunity right now or he’s gonna be broadly done as a player.

I really hope he makes it.

I don’t think it’ll make or break us if he doesn’t.

We have more top end draft talent on the list now than at any point in the past.

We have pick 2 and a probable top 5 pick next year.

I also think the majority of posters can hold more than one position on a topic at a time.

I can want him to make it.
I can be optimistic that he will.
I can be underwhelmed by what we’ve seen so far.
I can think he needs to take his opportunity right now or he’s gonna be broadly done as a player.

Oh I don't feel we're in a position to throw away a pick 3, adding we wasted an early pick on Thomas, traded picks 1 & JHFF ( also a pick 1) for picks 4 & 20. We've finished last twice and don't have a pick 1 to show for it.

Kind of starts adding up after a while , said that exact thing to old mate, who see footy from a very insular pov, as a footy worker, not a fan. He actually stopped and finally took that in, and said I'm the only one who he's heard put it that way.

Not that I think JHFF is the " generational talent" many had me believing he was.

We need to stop ****ing up our draft picks, especially the early ones. ANd we can all say, we would have taken Sheezel, would have, could have type stuff. Days end our return wasn't flash, so that puts more pressure on us elsewhere.

All good, found it. He finished equal with Kallan Dawson, 30 behind Fisher, 80 behind Tucker and fell 90 short of Luke McDonald. Tracking nicely.
Hey man, we just had a good win, crack a ****en smile and let go for the briefest of moments.

Oh I don't feel we're in a position to throw away a pick 3, adding we wasted an early pick on Thomas, traded picks 1 & JHFF ( also a pick 1) for picks 4 & 20. We've finished last twice and don't have a pick 1 to show for it.

Kind of starts adding up after a while , said that exact thing to old mate, who see footy from a very insular pov, as a footy worker, not a fan. He actually stopped and finally took that in, and said I'm the only one who he's heard put it that way.

Not that I think JHFF is the " generational talent" many had me believing he was.

We need to stop ****ing up our draft picks, especially the early ones. ANd we can all say, we would have taken Sheezel, would have, could have type stuff. Days end our return wasn't flash, so that puts more pressure on us elsewhere.
Would have, could have , should have...l think its time we all moved on...Past issues will not help us in the future..

But what does being convinced mean? What do you want powell to do?

His job is to be a 2nd wave mid to fill in the hole where the more talented can play their natural game, just like phillips.

I swear you're a troll. What club do you really barrack for?

If the Chairman is indeed a troll I'm impressed with his commitment to the cause, he's fully immersed in North Big Footy culture.

And like a Cold War Spy being outed years later we'll be scratching our heads wondering how we missed the obvious hints, "He said we should give an F2 for Matt Kennedy, that's got Carlton supporter all over it, how did I miss that?"

In his former alias he had shown an affinity for Richmond. Before he rage quit "this chickenshit outfit".

I have no idea why he has come back. Especially considering we are lower now than when he quit.

In my unqualified opinion Chairman is like Sooz-lite.

The Will situation is a good way to determine how people view high picks as in top 3 picks like Will.

Are they:

a) a way of increasing your chances of getting a high end top 20 in the comp at their peak player?

or

b) the best way to ensure you get a 200 game player?

Chris Masten is a good example here: 215 games, premiership player, zero individual accolades beyond a single Rising Star nom. Never All Australian, finished top ten in the Eagles B n F a few times.

2007 wasn't a super draft but given Cotchin went at 2, Danger at 10, Cyril at 12 etc, it also had guys who defined their generation of footy.

Is Will going to be Danger or Cyril or Cotch? Very very unlikely.

Can he be Chris Masten?

Yes, yes he can - and if that means he's a 200 gamer who has a career year in a premiership team, then that's pick 3 smashed right?

Its only an absolute bust imo if he leaves us with less than 150 games under his belt.

And sadly, that seems a very real possibility. Paddy Dowdom.

The Will situation is a good way to determine how people view high picks as in top 3 picks like Will.

Are they:

a) a way of increasing your chances of getting a high end top 20 in the comp at their peak player?

or

Chris Masten is a good example here: 215 games, premiership player, zero individual accolades beyond a single Rising Star nom. Never All Australian, finished top ten in the Eagles B n F a few times.

2007 wasn't a super draft but given Cotchin went at 2, Danger at 10, Cyril at 12 etc, it also had guys who defined their generation of footy.

Can he be Chris Masten?

Yes, yes he can - and if that means he's a 200 gamer who has a career year in a premiership team, then that's pick 3 smashed right?

Its only an absolute bust imo if he leaves us with less than 150 games under his belt.

It's an absolute bust as we speak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they:

or

Can he be Chris Masten?

That's a very good summary.
Will doesn't have to be a superstar to be worthwhile. A reliable role player would still be a tick, in what was a poor draft where there was no way of accurately determining the usual national order. Half hadn't played for 12 months, the rest only within their own states.

Will still has plenty of work to do to make a role his own, he has 12 months to make it happen.
When you look back at his junior and 2021 highlights, it's fairly obvious the glandular fever has limited his ceiling since. This is something he may not be able to overcome, despite his best efforts.
Because I know myself that post a moderate or severe bout of glandular fever, your body just doesn't feel the same and fatigue hits harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back