Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I don't see how Wardlaw's tank is any better than WillPhil's. Obviously I like Wardlaw's game more than Will's but at the end of the day both need work there (and both due to injury / illness in previous seasons).
George Will's himself to the next contest and occasionally gets involved in chains of possessions, Will does neither. George is an explosive athlete and will probably never have an elite tank, Will is not.

Personally, I don't see how Wardlaw's tank is any better than WillPhil's. Obviously I like Wardlaw's game more than Will's but at the end of the day both need work there (and both due to injury / illness in previous seasons).
Will was sold to us as the most ready made of selections - which is why judgement of him is so strong. George is incredible and is eons ahead of him, he's fast and super hard.

George Will's himself to the next contest and occasionally gets involved in chains of possessions, Will does neither. George is an explosive athlete and will probably never have an elite tank, Will is not.
Like I said, prefer Wardlaw's game for the same reason you mentioned. But his tank is no better than Wills (as things stand right now).

Will was sold to us as the most ready made of selections - which is why judgement of him is so strong. George is incredible and is eons ahead of him, he's fast and super hard.
Not sure about this sold to us thing, stuff happens and for him he lost 2 seasons since he was drafted due to illness.

I don't remember him being described as ready made, but if they did that would be ridiculous given we weren't even allowed to leave the house in his draft year.

Was thinking Wiphi was pick 2……I just remember him being ranked a bit lower and it was a surprise we took him.
Hindsight is easy, of course, but he wasn’t ranked in the top 3 was he Ferbs?
I don't remember.

The consensus was that Hollands and McDonald were the clear 2 & 3 available behind Thilthorpe. (Not counting JUH and one of Sydneys academy picks (Gulden?) ). WP was among the next tier discussed and quite a few people thought Hawthorn would take him. So not a huge reach but it was a bit of a surprise.

Last edited:
The consensus was that Hollands and McDonald were the clear 2 & 3 available behind Thilthorpe. (Not counting JUH and one of Sydneys academy picks (Gulden?) ). WP was among the next tier discussed and quite a few people thought Hawthorn's would take him. So not a huge reach but it was a bit of a surprise.
And unfortunately hasn't turned out a pleasant one.

To give an indication of just how crap that draft was, you could make an argument that Phillips is still in the top 5-6 midfielders from that whole draft (not including flankers like Hollands & O'Driscoll).

1. Errol Gulden (pick 32)
2. Max Holmes (pick 20)
3. Tom Powell (Pick 13)
4. Tanner Bruhn (pick 12)

The rest: Phillips, Perkins, Pedlar, Macrae, McInnes, Lazzaro, & Carroll.

It was such a poor draft overall in 2020, and it was compounded by the fact that we traded into it instead of taking a first rounder in what was a really strong 2019 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking Wiphi was pick 2……I just remember him being ranked a bit lower and it was a surprise we took him.
Hindsight is easy, of course, but he wasn’t ranked in the top 3 was he Ferbs?
I Seem to remember 6-9, and there was genuine surprise from Twomey and Co, although he was described as the best pure midfielder in the open draft, and talked up his strong leadership credentials which would appeal to North. Tell you what though, could still be the case. JUH, Thiltorpe, Will, Logan Mac, Campbell (academy), DGB, Elijah Hollands, Nic Cox, Archie Perkins, Zach Reid, were the top 10.

To give an indication of just how crap that draft was, you could make an argument that Phillips is still in the top 5-6 midfielders from that whole draft (not including flankers like Hollands & O'Driscoll).

2. Max Holmes (pick 20)
3. Tom Powell (Pick 13)

It was such a poor draft overall in 2020, and it was compounded by the fact that we traded into it instead of taking a first rounder in what was a really strong 2019 draft.
so true, we held the picks that eventually went on kossie and serong.

2. Max Holmes (pick 20)
3. Tom Powell (Pick 13)

I reckon Bruhn stinks. He tries hard but doesn’t get it enough and is dicey with his disposal. It’s an absolutely awful draft, so many from it have already been cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back