Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Why aren’t we making this signing official already

Someone inform the media team
Two reasons, from what Tom Morris is saying Will hasn't accepted the offer yet.

Plus it doesn't seem to be the way re-signings are done these days. Someone "leaks" it to Cal Twomey or Tom Morris
and then the offical statement comes out anywhere from days / weeks later.

I seem to remember the Jackson Archer contract extension being reported by one of the above and it felt like it was at least a month later until North officially announced it.

Two reasons, from what Tom Morris is saying Will hasn't accepted the offer yet.

Plus it doesn't seem to be the way re-signings are done these days. Someone "leaks" it to Cal Twomey or Tom Morris
and then the offical statement comes out anywhere from days / weeks later.

I seem to remember the Jackson Archer contract extension being reported by one of the above and it felt like it was at least a month later until North officially announced it.

Player agents/managers leak it to the journos.

Clubs only 'announce' it once the paperwork is signed and lodged with AFL HQ.

Melbourne just delisted Schache, a number 2 pick. We won’t look so silly if we drop Will now.
Wonder if Brady is eyeing off Schache.
I hope not.
He wasn’t their #2 pick though. It’s more like us letting go of Dom Tyson.

Melbourne just delisted Schache, a number 2 pick. We won’t look so silly if we drop Will now.
I hope not.

Surely not a chance. They need KPF's as much as we do.

Where I see his big hope is in a redesigned midfield. Powell too.

That is, we bring in Colby and maybe Draper to the midfield and we use them with LDU and George to burst out of stoppage with a focus on them being 2nd level, fed by Philips and Powell. Jy would be redundant while Sheez does whatever he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ignore button's there for people like him on threads like this. He has 130 more posts in this thread than the next most prolific poster. It's almost cause to refer him to a medical professional
Most of its replying to fools like you who don't even watch footy. But yes ignore is definitely the best option.

After seeing multiple Freo players handle the ball as if it was alive, I would prefer that we keep a one touch player that is unfit and try to get them fit, rather than the other way round.

My view is that he is pacing himself during games as he is worried about his fitness. Unfortunately, that does not cut it at AFL level.

Neale is a good role model for him. Another is Liam Baker who is also a similar size.
So much this. They should never have been in a position where they needed to fight like that for their season after being 12 - 6 - 1. They fumbled away their season and collapsed when under pressure from a position where they really should have made top 4.

Keep clean players, we have currently about 6 max on the list who we can rely on to not fumble under heat.

I hope not.

What a disappointment he has been.

Having said that, I wonder if any of Brisbane the Bulldogs or the Godees have ever tried him as a defender.

There are more than a few players over the years who have been drafted as forwards, failed to make it as a forward and then been thrown into defence to become very good players. Majak was travelling down that path until the unfortunate fall, while Liam Jones, once tried as a defender at Carlton and now the Bulldogs, has turned into one of the best intercept markers in the caper. (I actually suggested this to Cameron Mooney when he was on SEN a few years ago and he agreed with me. Carlton must have heard us and decided we knew what we were talking about and implemented it!!!)

Maybe some club should rookie list him and try him as a defender in the VFL. You never know what might come of that and very little to lose in such a move.

What a disappointment he has been.

Having said that, I wonder if any of Brisbane the Bulldogs or the Godees have ever tried him as a defender.

There are more than a few players over the years who have been drafted as forwards, failed to make it as a forward and then been thrown into defence to become very good players. Majak was travelling down that path until the unfortunate fall, while Liam Jones, once tried as a defender at Carlton and now the Bulldogs, has turned into one of the best intercept markers in the caper. (I actually suggested this to Cameron Mooney when he was on SEN a few years ago and he agreed with me. Carlton must have heard us and decided we knew what we were talking about and implemented it!!!)

Maybe some club should rookie list him and try him as a defender in the VFL. You never know what might come of that and very little to lose in such a move.

Pretty certain both the Bulldogs and Dees tried him as a key back.

He’s done at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back