Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got a big off season and 12 months to turn it around. I'm hoping he does. LDU didn't exactly have his best year until 5 or 6 years into the system did he? It's up to Will to grab the last chance.

Yes he has and good for him and I hope he succeeds, we can hardly afford to burn another top five draft pick, especially after the Thomas incidents.

Not sure there's much similarity between the two you mentioned, I think LDU has always had the size and strength even early days.
LDU has shown gradual improvement every year during his time with us. My biggest concern isn't Will's AFL form, it's VFL form.

Then some commentator was suggesting the rising star award shouldn't be available to someone with 3 pre seasons under their belt, as it's a clear advantage.

You hope to see glimpses or moments of brilliance from any youngster, Duursma is a great example, didn't have a great first year, but he certainly showed he has the required skills and them some.

Will Dawson I don't think got enough credit for what he can do, one particular moment sits well with me, he out marked his opponent from behind about 65 metres from goal. He then kicked it 55, actually more punched it 55 low and freaking hard, I'd never seen that before.

It will be interesting to see what shape he returns in.

Yes he has and good for him and I hope he succeeds, we can hardly afford to burn another top five draft pick, especially after the Thomas incidents.

Not sure there's much similarity between the two you mentioned, I think LDU has always had the size and strength even early days.
LDU has shown gradual improvement every year during his time with us. My biggest concern isn't Will's AFL form, it's VFL form.

Then some commentator was suggesting the rising star award shouldn't be available to someone with 3 pre seasons under their belt, as it's a clear advantage.

You hope to see glimpses or moments of brilliance from any youngster, Duursma is a great example, didn't have a great first year, but he certainly showed he has the required skills and them some.

Will Dawson I don't think got enough credit for what he can do, one particular moment sits well with me, he out marked his opponent from behind about 65 metres from goal. He then kicked it 55, actually more punched it 55 low and freaking hard, I'd never seen that before.

It will be interesting to see what shape he returns in.
Martin Tv Show Im Fat GIF by Martin

^^^ returns like this and we’re in some trouble

Four years is a pretty good sample size in an AFL environment. Last season was worse than the season before. He should be running himself into the ground, starting last week.

I don’t really give a rats clacker; i just want him to kick some goals to hear his Goalsong

Sorry RF08

Good mail on this.

There was indeed longer term offers on the table but they were knocked back well over a week ago.

Kid wants to stay and fight
I hope you are right. I think he is projecting well if you compare him to others in terms of games played rather than time in system. His set backs are well documented. I’d hazard a guess to suggest longer term contracts elsewhere probably on minimal pay too. Back himself in for a big year and hopefully we’ll be out with the cheque book before the the break in 2025.

I hope you are right. I think he is projecting well if you compare him to others in terms of games played rather than time in system. His set backs are well documented. I’d hazard a guess to suggest longer term contracts elsewhere probably on minimal pay too. Back himself in for a big year and hopefully we’ll be out with the cheque book before the the break in 2025.
I had a look at him from his draft year to where he is now. It is visually evident his conditioning dropped. He gets back to where he was, he’ll be fine. He has to start now, I hope he is working on it right now

Thats the plan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry RF08

Good mail on this.

There was indeed longer term offers on the table but they were knocked back well over a week ago.

Kid wants to stay and fight
Agree and got told he definately did not want to go to the Tiggers but stay at North...

Four years is a pretty good sample size in an AFL environment. Last season was worse than the season before. He should be running himself into the ground, starting last week.
Hopefully he can get a personel fitness trainer and when he gets back then the club takes over and he gets the right program to help him improve from there...

So happy to see this kid sign on again and that the club retains faith he can maximise his potential. Has skills, vision, football brain and passion for the club. A big offseason and hopefully build up an AFL necessary tank and I really believe he will prove many doubters wrong.

So does the fact that Will and RHJ have one year deals count as a tick for Brady? Unfulfilled talent that isn't tying us down to a long or expensive contract while we find out if they can take the next step. Sounds like good business to me.
Unless they have amazing years next year and jump clubs for a better deal because they are free to and also deep down resent the lack of faith. Then he’s back to being an idiot.

I hope Will takes a good break for a month or so. Freshen himself up both physically and mentally and then gets stuck in to have himself cherry ripe for day 1 of preseason.

Show us what you've got Will!
well he doesn't seem to be in Bali, so that's a start

So does the fact that Will and RHJ have one year deals count as a tick for Brady? Unfulfilled talent that isn't tying us down to a long or expensive contract while we find out if they can take the next step. Sounds like good business to me.

Well I was going to agree until reading H2h post, I suggest he's rooted either way.

oh well

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back