Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno man, pretty funny when you're blatantly wrong.

Yeah was surprised he is getting a game after his horrid performance in the VFL last week, but I now understand it and why.

But you Willips fans cannot be half pregnant, you all rate him and feel a 12 month deal is ok. Who's the last pick 3 to get a 12 month contract offer on base payments.

And if you don't think we're shopping Will, ya nuts.

Causation means action A causes outcome B. On the other hand, correlation is simply a relationship where action A relates to action B—but one event doesn't necessarily cause the other event to happen.

Other than Carey and peak Corey, not sure I would attribute any player with that amount of influence in an 18 man team.
Sheezel out last week is a good current example of team impact. I would say gut feel we are at least 4 goals worse off when he did not suit up.

Yeah was surprised he is getting a game after his horrid performance in the VFL last week, but I now understand it and why.

But you Willips fans cannot be half pregnant, you all rate him and feel a 12 month deal is ok. Who's the last pick 3 to get a 12 month contract offer on base payments.

there are those of us who can chew gum and walk at the same time.

I can want him to make it and at the same time be realistic about how far back he’s coming from and where in the order he sits.

With everyone available and fit I’d have him at 7th or 8th in line for midfield minutes.

Also if we have actually recently signed him for 12 months then I doubt we are shopping him around. In fact signing him in August to shop him around in October is a **** of a move.

there are those of us who can chew gum and walk at the same time.

I can want him to make it and at the same time be realistic about how far back he’s coming from and where in the order he sits.

With everyone available and fit I’d have him at 7th or 8th in line for midfield minutes.

Also if we have actually recently signed him for 12 months then I doubt we are shopping him around. In fact signing him in August to shop him around in October is a **** of a move.
No we haven’t signed him we put an offer to him for 12 months. Well that was of Thursday . And fyi I wasn’t referring to you , you do have the levels of common sense to see the situation for what it is 👍

I dont know if we are or not.

Neither do you.

Also lol "you fans". Perish the thought anyone would be a fan of a player on the team.

But since you want to lump many different perspectives together i'll have to correct you, I'd give him 2 years.

I dont know if we are or not.

Neither do you.

Also lol "you fans". Perish the thought anyone would be a fan of a player on the team.

But since you want to lump many different perspectives together i'll have to correct you, I'd give him 2 years.
On the bolded you're 100% wrong.
And I'm not going to argue you're wrong with offering him 2 years. You're entitled to your opinion. And when I said he'd played his last game for us, that was and I stated it at the time as my opinion.
Whereas the contractual discussions aren't, you guessed it, my opinion.

I have said it for years, I have no info on trades, drafting thoughts. Hence why I rarely comment in that space. Just to finish it's not cool to suggest I'm lying.

But I take solace in the fact there's a handful that know I'm not. And funnily enough they're the posters I respect the most.

Anyways go Roos and go willip, hope he plays well.

On the bolded you're 100% wrong.
And I'm not going to argue you're wrong with offering him 2 years. You're entitled to your opinion. And when I said he'd played his last game for us, that was and I stated it at the time as my opinion.
Whereas the contractual discussions aren't, you guessed it, my opinion.

I have said it for years, I have no info on trades, drafting thoughts. Hence why I rarely comment in that space. Just to finish it's not cool to suggest I'm lying.

But I take solace in the fact there's a handful that know I'm not. And funnily enough they're the posters I respect the most.

Anyways go Roos and go willip, hope he plays well.
uh huh, ok stout.

oh, sorry, is that not cool? i must have missed the trend

Will was inexplicably promoted after getting slaughtered by VFL midfielders last week. The conditions should have suited him today, but he didn't have a single moment that suggested he is up to the level. He just plodded about with no aggression or intensity at all. Wouldn't or couldn't run or chase and got easily pushed out of the way in contests.

He got a last chance without earning it. He didn't take it. If he has been offered a year, we should withdraw the offer. I would rather we left a list spot free than have this spud clogging it. We would be so much better off getting our midfield depth from a mature VFL type like Dom Brew, someone who could set standards and plays like he cares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't great today (who was?), but;

Will Phillips
ToG 72%
12 disposals
9 tackles (= most for NMFC today)
3 score involvements
75% disposal efficiency

Compared to...

Tom Powell
ToG 84%
8 disposals
4 tackles
1 score involvement
62% disposal efficiency

Bailey Scott
ToG 83%
12 disposals
3 tackles
0 score involvements
66% disposal efficiency

In less time on the field, Phillips did more than Powell or Scott.

I make this point to suggest that Phillips is marked unfairly on a curve for some people here, if they think he was horrible today but say nothing about players like Powell or Scott (or Tucker, or Shiels, or Zurhaar, or Stephens, etc).

Will Phillips
ToG 72%
12 disposals
3 score involvements
75% disposal efficiency

Compared to...

Tom Powell
ToG 84%
8 disposals
4 tackles
1 score involvement
62% disposal efficiency

Bailey Scott
ToG 83%
12 disposals
3 tackles
0 score involvements
66% disposal efficiency

I make this point to suggest that Phillips is marked unfairly on a curve for some people here, if they think he was horrible today but say nothing about players like Powell or Scott (or Tucker, or Shiels, or Zurhaar, or Stephens, etc).
That’s fair, but I’d love to see Phillips hit the ceiling that any of the players you have mentioned have. I love the guy but he lacks the power to be an AFL midfielder.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

I thought with the greasy wet game conditions today, this would have suited WillPhil. Plenty of CBA’s (20) and a chance to show the coaches and faithful what he can do. A meagre 12 touches in just under 100 mins of football. He has regressed from just after the bye rounds when he was starting to show he might just be part of our best 22.

I very much doubt any other club would be into him, certainly not a top 8 side.

Will Phillips
ToG 72%
12 disposals
3 score involvements
75% disposal efficiency

Compared to...

Tom Powell
ToG 84%
8 disposals
4 tackles
1 score involvement
62% disposal efficiency

Bailey Scott
ToG 83%
12 disposals
3 tackles
0 score involvements
66% disposal efficiency

0 clearances - despite spending the entire game as an inside mid
1 mark (when X miskicked off his left foot and it hit Will by surprise on the chest)
5 kicks
6 contested possessions (as an inside mid)
120 metres gained (hard to believe, but true)

I'm curious, of his 9 tackles, which did you think was the best?

Will Phillips
ToG 72%
12 disposals
3 score involvements
75% disposal efficiency

Compared to...

Tom Powell
ToG 84%
8 disposals
4 tackles
1 score involvement
62% disposal efficiency

Bailey Scott
ToG 83%
12 disposals
3 tackles
0 score involvements
66% disposal efficiency

He was horrible today but the other two were even horribler. I’m still backing in Phillips for one more season though.

An uncontracted Dylan Stephens and we offered him a 4 year deal….I’m sure we can afford to keep Will for another 12 months

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back