List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, what doesn't happen?

We just a dispensary for the dreck of others and we have to pay full whack. They need their money (cap space) for Darcy, JUH and Bont who all come out of contract next year!

Getting the pick upgrade for Darling that you suggested

I'm likely clutching at straws here but Allen (2023) and Waterman (2024) both had career years with Darling playing as the second tall in the forward line. His statistical output in those years has no doubt declined, but perhaps we see him playing a similar role at North where he is brought in to try and uplift those around him (e.g. Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben). His knowledge of forward structures, leading patterns and even opposition defenders that have played on him over the years would have to be of some help to our young group despite is declining athleticism. Again, more than happy for him to stay at West Coast but there are surely some positives in his potential acquisition.

If Darling's off field stuff and leadership was that good, WC would be keeping him to help continue developing those players. Williams and Archer Reid are still a while off, so you'd think Darling would be valuable depth for them too, especially when he is a close to 300 game player ect. The fact that WC are happy to off load him should be raising alarm bells. Even the likes of Damien Barrett are questioning this move.

If Teakle had of played from the start of the year he near would've gone close to matching Darling's output this season. Darlings output just isn't any good anymore. He just isn't worth the sort of money he is on. I'm also expecting Maley to start to have an impact next year.

Larkey, Teakle, CCJ, Maley and Pink will be enough to get us by until we either draft a few more KP's or until we trade for a decent one.
What Damien Barrett thinks about anything is irrelevant. In an industry of shysters, he's uniquely discredited.

I guess where we fundamentally disagree is that I don't think we have the prerequisite key forward depth for 2025.

• I will be surprised if CCJ plays senior footy for us again, any more than a couple games would be astonishing.
  • Maley may come in leaps and bounds over the offseason, or he may not. He's not yet a reliable option.
  • Pink is a break glass option

From that position, I ask myself what the available options are, and there aren't many.

I'm sure we're struggling to spend the required $15m on our players this year, so Darling's inflated salary has no detriment on our position.

All things considered, I think Darling is a reasonable improvement on CCJ, Maley, and Pink.

I bet you any money that doesn't happen

If we're going to splash 800k around, i'd rather give that money to a guy like Riccardi who might be able to offer something on field and bring some experience as well.

Good idea just one issue... riccardi needs to come, I'm sure they tried that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good idea just one issue... riccardi needs to come, I'm sure they tried that

Whether he chooses to come or not still doesn't make it ok to throw 800k at Darling. Every other club would be pissing themselves laughing at us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are correct! For all the reasons already mentioned.

It surprises me that you can read all of those reasons for not taking him and still want him.

Not sure I said I want him? I'm being realistic. Is there better of course there is, can we get better, I'm sure we have tried. Is he better than what we have yes he is

I'm likely clutching at straws here but Allen (2023) and Waterman (2024) both had career years with Darling playing as the second tall in the forward line. His statistical output in those years has no doubt declined, but perhaps we see him playing a similar role at North where he is brought in to try and uplift those around him (e.g. Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben). His knowledge of forward structures, leading patterns and even opposition defenders that have played on him over the years would have to be of some help to our young group despite is declining athleticism. Again, more than happy for him to stay at West Coast but there are surely some positives in his potential acquisition.
Jack Gunston seems to have done alright going back to Hawthorn and seems to make the opposition interceptor invisible whilst hitting the scoreboard.

Is it an accident that Hawthorn are going alright with Gunston and Bruest in the squad?

Should we just gift Duursma a "Mac Andrew" deal next season after just a couple of random flashy games next season, on top of the Zurhaar deal?

Not sure I said I want him? I'm being realistic. Is there better of course there is, can we get better, I'm sure we have tried. Is he better than what we have yes he is

Sorry, I disagree. Darling is on the downhill spiral into the old folks home while I still see plenty of improvement in Teakle.

Teakle > Darling for me any day!

Is that Jay Clarke all there? “Darling’s best years are behind him”. Every single over 30 player who is looking at potentially moving clubs ‘best years are behind them’. So no one should take Jack McRae as he isn’t as good as he was 4 years ago. We shouldn’t take Luke Parker as he isn’t as good as he was in he was 25.

Let me tell you something Michael, he's too busy reading out what the 'big' Melbourne-based clubs tell him to read out.

Jack Gunston seems to have done alright going back to Hawthorn and seems to make the opposition interceptor invisible whilst hitting the scoreboard.

Is it an accident that Hawthorn are going alright with Gunston and Bruest in the squad?

Should we just gift Duursma a "Mac Andrew" deal next season after just a couple of random flashy games next season, on top of the Zurhaar deal?
They've established a very clear and coherent style of play and recruited accordingly, and get contributions from everyone. We aren't even at that first stage yet.

by signing 2 years they would spread that over that duration
maybe offer him 900k for 2 years, 450k a year

Do you honestly seeing him being AFL standard in 2 years time? He isn't even AFL standard now.

And before you fret, we don't need Darling to keep Pink out of the team.

Do you honestly seeing him being AFL standard in 2 years time? He isn't even AFL standard now.

And before you fret, we don't need Darling to keep Pink out of the team.
i expect him to be vfl in the second year with the odd afl game

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back