Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Not having a go, but what could've shifted? Does Clarko suddenly think he's worthwhile after that shitheap of a midfield performance from everyone else? I'm struggling to think of any plausible reason for a sudden twist like this
If I had to guess what changed this week, I'd say LDU probably came off the ground on Sunday and said if you leave me exposed like that again you can jam your contract extension.

Head to head with Worpel - let him play
Attack it like it’s your last game
For sure. It’d be HUGE to watch. A bit like Ali vs Foreman.

And let’s not forget, it was round 24 last year when Will Phil polled a Brownlow vote if I’m not mistaken. I’ll never forget it.

When he is playing, we've been more competitive.

When he's not, we've been smashed.
R13) Wasn’t in the side against West Coast.
Jy played a blinder right after the bye.

R14) Following week tags Daicos and then is subbed at 3QT. Team played well but faded.

R15) Against Melbourne he tagged Oliver. Team played well again and should have won.

R16) Against the Dogs tags Treloar and we get within 17 points. Solid effort.

R17) Against the Suns we win and he has a run with role on Rowell who has an average game.

R18) He then is ruthlessly dropped and makes way for Wardlaw in the side who stinks it up against Sydney whilst the VFL side has a solid win.

R19) Doesn’t play against Carlton when he would have been handy on either Cripps or Walsh. We lose a tight one.

R20) Plays against the Cats and keeps Dangerfield invisible. The game is sealed with 3 goals in a minute on three quarter time.

R21) Plays in the win against Richmond running with Rioli.

R22) Does a good job on Yeo for 3 quarters until Yeo is pushed forward and plays a role in winning the match. Is dropped and made to pay the price for the loss.

R23) Doesn't play against the Dogs and their mids run riot and we get done by 16 goals.

R24) Comes back into the side.

Hard to argue against his influence.

Maybe not as a pure mid, but as a HB he may well be. Then he's pretty handy around the goals as well on both feet. HB is one of those positions where players can rack it up. I believe with his vision and skills he'd be a real weapon for us there. He's also the sort, that with the forward presses can run through though the 50 arc to goal. What attributes does Houston have that Powell doesn't?
Houston is tough and attacks the ball and man with real vigour.

It’s something Powelly could add but I agree with you - a simplification of roles for him could bring that out.

Maybe not as a pure mid, but as a HB he may well be. Then he's pretty handy around the goals as well on both feet. HB is one of those positions where players can rack it up. I believe with his vision and skills he'd be a real weapon for us there. He's also the sort, that with the forward presses can run through though the 50 arc to goal. What attributes does Houston have that Powell doesn't?
In 2024, reliability and consistency. This year, Houston is AA.

If I had to guess what changed this week, I'd say LDU probably came off the ground on Sunday and said if you leave me exposed like that again you can jam your contract extension.
And fair enough. No one was working hard enough for one another. Really, X and the other two mids should be doing everything they can to release Luke as much as humanly possible. A but like what Pup was talking about this week. We play for each other and sacrifice half the time. It’s not good enough.

Not having a go, but what could've shifted? Does Clarko suddenly think he's worthwhile after that shitheap of a midfield performance from everyone else? I'm struggling to think of any plausible reason for a sudden twist like this
Its not a coincidence all our best performances of the year have occurred when Will has been in the team. He had a stinker vs Geelong but, we are better off with a confident Will than a worried on the outer Will.

Give him assurance of a 2 year deal, get that fitness up and he really can be something

This is the only external element that has shifted that's public knowledge. They may also have been feeling out a dozen or so other players for all we know (Clarko said as much), and if they've got no traction elsewhere perhaps they've reevaluated their internal options?

I've thought for a while whether he makes it or not he isn't the worst on the current list, and there's a conga line of people I'd delist before him.
Agreed. Definitely part of future plans.
Watch this space but expect news to be announced shortly I reckon for one. Also won't be the 2 years that was raised earlier.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good mail.

Definitely something has shifted after Sundays game.

He's back in the side for this weeks game and perhaps is now part of future plans?
Choice remains Will's but he's fiercely loyal and loves the place too much to abandon ship or not die wondering. I gather hed rather stay and fight for his spot then go play footy elsewhere.
I hope he stays! He’s so invested in the club. I watch him in games when he comes off and he’s on the side-lines he rides every contest. He’s basically a fan from the bench. I want it to work so badly for him and for us.

Yep , 1 yr deal
1 year is best for both parties. Still plenty of question marks for North on whether he will make it and likewise for Will whether there are opportunities for him here.

There's not a player on our list I'd like to see succeed (at North) more than Will. Hope he can have the offseason of his life and come back fit enough to cement his place as the midfield extractor.

Just backing up what kk has been posting.

Greenwood gone, Shiels gone, Viney isn't a thing.
Watching how the midfield played on Sunday perhaps there is a place for a defensively minded mid, who knows?
Who knows is accurate...

He needs more spread - not doubt whatsoever, but I don't mind a defensive mid with sharp skills, can hit the scoreboard etc.

Agreed. Definitely part of future plans.
Watch this space but expect news to be announced shortly I reckon for one. Also won't be the 2 years that was raised earlier.
I know you've been asked mate, why the turnaround?

I agree with it but he's been 1st drop scapegoat just about every time.

R14) Following week tags Daicos and then is subbed at 3QT. Team played well but faded.

R15) Against Melbourne he tagged Oliver. Team played well again and should have won.

R17) Against the Suns we win and he has a run with role on Rowell who has an average game.

R18) He then is ruthlessly dropped and makes way for Wardlaw in the side who stinks it up against Sydney whilst the VFL side has a solid win.

R19) Doesn’t play against Carlton when he would have been handy on either Cripps or Walsh. We lose a tight one.

R20) Plays against the Cats and keeps Dangerfield invisible. The game is sealed with 3 goals in a minute on three quarter time.

R22) Does a good job on Yeo for 3 quarters until Yeo is pushed forward and plays a role in winning the match. Is dropped and made to pay the price for the loss.

R23) Doesn't play against the Dogs and their mids run riot and we get done by 16 goals.

Sushhhhh, he is slow and offers nothing. Delist ;)

I know you've been asked mate, why the turnaround?

I agree with it but he's been 1st drop scapegoat just about every time.
Its as simple as to why we love this club.
He's all in. Wants to be part of the rebuild and the success and fight for it.
Backing himself in it seems and wont die wondering.

Takes balls and if it pays off - everyone will be better for it.

Or to put it another way:

Our average scores this year have been 71.5 for us, and 108.2 against - a 36.7 point margin.

With Will in the team, it's 78.6 vs 100.5 (21.9 point margin) and without him, it's 65.6 vs 114.6 (49 points).

And post-bye, overall it's 77.1 vs 98.4 (21.3 point margin). Without him it's 65.8 vs 112 (46.3 point margin) and with him, it's 83.6 vs 90.6, or just a 7 point margin.

All year, both pre-bye and post-bye, we score more and the opposition scores less when Will Phillips is in the team.

1 year deal is fine if true, would be very shortsighted for the club to cut ties after his development woes have been.. lets say largely out of his hands, and hopefully now behind him.

He'll be getting a hefty off-season training program, and i'd be surprised if he didn't exceed what is expected of him.

He's put on good mass over the last two seasons. If he can get his tank up to standard then his skills and decision-making become weapons, and a bit of mental health relief from recognising he might actually have a decent career in front of him will let him settle into a midfield role for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back