Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Its as simple as to why we love this club.
He's all in. Wants to be part of the rebuild and the success and fight for it.
Backing himself in it seems and wont die wondering.

Takes balls and if it pays off - everyone will be better for it.
Love that but I don't imagine he was uncommitted before? It feels like something has shifted from the coaching side for this extension to now be a possibility?

Love that but I don't imagine he was uncommitted before? It feels like something has shifted from the coaching side for this extension to now be a possibility?
Could be personnel KC
Our midfield is far from the finished product and just watching it on Sunday may have made a few realise that
1) it still lacks A grade talent &
2) we look horrible without a good defensive mid or stopper

Will may never reach the heights of an A grader, but he may play a pivotal role in finals success.
See Luke Ball/Liam Sheils etc

R13) Wasn’t in the side against West Coast.
Jy played a blinder right after the bye.

R14) Following week tags Daicos and then is subbed at 3QT. Team played well but faded.

R15) Against Melbourne he tagged Oliver. Team played well again and should have won.

R16) Against the Dogs tags Treloar and we get within 17 points. Solid effort.

R17) Against the Suns we win and he has a run with role on Rowell who has an average game.

R18) He then is ruthlessly dropped and makes way for Wardlaw in the side who stinks it up against Sydney whilst the VFL side has a solid win.

R19) Doesn’t play against Carlton when he would have been handy on either Cripps or Walsh. We lose a tight one.

R20) Plays against the Cats and keeps Dangerfield invisible. The game is sealed with 3 goals in a minute on three quarter time.

R21) Plays in the win against Richmond running with Rioli.

R22) Does a good job on Yeo for 3 quarters until Yeo is pushed forward and plays a role in winning the match. Is dropped and made to pay the price for the loss.

R23) Doesn't play against the Dogs and their mids run riot and we get done by 16 goals.

R24) Comes back into the side.

Hard to argue against his influence.

Causation means action A causes outcome B. On the other hand, correlation is simply a relationship where action A relates to action B—but one event doesn't necessarily cause the other event to happen.

Other than Carey and peak Corey, not sure I would attribute any player with that amount of influence in an 18 man team.

Causation means action A causes outcome B. On the other hand, correlation is simply a relationship where action A relates to action B—but one event doesn't necessarily cause the other event to happen.

Other than Carey and peak Corey, not sure I would attribute any player with that amount of influence in an 18 man team.

Boomer probably comes close

I disagree.
Ben Jacobs record when fit and playing compared to when he wasn't in the side, actually ranks in the top percentages in the AFL for win/loss differential.

And its because he was a tagger and good 2 way runner in a side where we sucked on the spread and the opposition prime mover always destroyed us. That's still relevant today.

Phillips is nowhere near the player Jacobs was at his peak but is being asked to play the same role because we still have the same issues.

I’m going left field on this and quite happy to be torn to shreds, but……I wouldn’t mind a buck each way on concussion protocols and the fact that 2 of our mids have gone down due to it and as far as I’m concerned, neither have come back totally recovered.
It’s a long bow to draw, I know, but wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of clubs start stacking their midfield stocks.

The most ideal is 1 year with a trigger for a 2nd. If he plays enough then he’ll get another year, probably works out best for him and the club.
Yeah agree as I’d love him to kill it and become a good player but think he’d doing himself a disservice by staying.
In our heart of hearts when you look at the list and who will be in the middle, wilphi is about 6-7th and that’s with no incomings.

Yeah agree as I’d love him to kill it and become a good player but think he’d doing himself a disservice by staying.
In our heart of hearts when you look at the list and who will be in the middle, wilphi is about 6-7th and that’s with no incomings.
I guess it depends on the offers coming from elsewhere...

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone checked in on JY?

Wrapped Will is taking it head-on. Get on down to Rye with Luke and Harry mate and hit 2025 like a freight train.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Will should head over to cunners place and get some punters on how to put his body between him and his opponent at every opportunity.
Even do some off season training with his old u18 buddy Rowell.

Do our players want it enough

Last edited:

Why do you think something has shifted. To me it's much the same. Sure he's back in the side, but, and I quote someone, "you can't pull up socks you don't have on".

My humble opinion is, only a minor miracle will save his career with us or zero interest from any other club.
Either or as I see it.

And yeah I'm hardly going to be upset if he gets a 12 month reprieve, but anyone thinking jokes on those that don't rate him if he signs a 12 month extension at north for ' pennies on the dollar'. Well, they don't understand humor.

Why do you think something has shifted. To me it's much the same. Sure he's back in the side, but, and I quote someone, "you can't pull up socks you don't have on".

My humble opinion is, only a minor miracle will save his career with us or zero interest from any other club.
Either or as I see it.

And yeah I'm hardly going to be upset if he gets a 12 month reprieve, but anyone thinking jokes on those that don't rate him if he signs a 12 month extension at north for ' pennies on the dollar'. Well, they don't understand humor.
Won't play for North ever again
I dunno man, pretty funny when you're blatantly wrong.

I still don’t understand why he hasn’t been tried at any other position on the ground? I love his defensive midfield work but his clean disposal could be so good for us as a small def forward or even defender? I’m so sick of Luke Mc’s sloppy disposal burning us in our d50 resulting in opposition scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back