Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

No smart football program would rid themselves of a 22 year old who this year showed they could play on mids like Rowell, Oliver, Daicos and Treloar (unless they get a high-value trade offer). That is clearly someone who can be a contributor to the football club.

There is no doubt that Phillips isn't tracking to produce what many would hope from a pick 3, but that only has relevance now in terms of assessing the people involved in making that selection.
He can't run out a game and can't find the ball mate, that's how he's tracking.

His draft pick doesn't determine his worth, it's his footy. 20 possessions playing full-time inside mid in a second tier comp does not constitute good midfield depth.

Agreed, shutting down the best player in the comp demonstrates there's plenty to work with.

others might but a giant hole will open up in your life that was once the will phillips thread.

keep an eye out for withdrawl symptoms.
Can't wait for it to be locked up mate, I usually just scroll the board calmly and have a laugh without posting. I'll happily move on and forgive all of those who thought he'd be any good.

Back in the day if someone trained with the lack of intensity Will plays at they would be told by Duck to climb the fence and watch with the kids.

He seems a nice young man, but he can't run out games despite never actually breaking into a run. We won't improve until we raise our standards. We are taking the piss carrying someone like Will on the list.

If we take pick 2 to the draft we will be adding another top-rated mid ready to go for round 1 '25. The fact that we have so much dead weight on the list to cull means Will gets another 12 months to run around in the magoos.

Needs the biggest preseason he has ever had.

Needs to come back fitter than he's ever been. With an ability to run harder than he has before.

Imma take tazaa comments as where we are at. 12 months where Will knocked back having triggers for a second.

I admire this. It shows that he has the loyalty to sign but is under no illusion that there is work to be done to make it. Actively pushing himself into a make it or break it situation.

I really hope he goes away and pushes himself into a break out year. Footy gods know that we need to catch some breaks and I hope that Will is one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 year. No triggers. Club wanted to but were declined.
Its gonna be make or break.

If he's not best 22 at the end of 2025 and solidified in the side then he will be gone.
So Big preseason ahead. This summer will determine his future at North.
Why would Will refuse the triggers? Seems a no brainer to negotiate further employment, he can always negotiate an exit.

Needs the biggest preseason he has ever had.

Needs to come back fitter than he's ever been. With an ability to run harder than he has before.

Imma take tazaa comments as where we are at. 12 months where Will knocked back having triggers for a second.

I admire this. It shows that he has the loyalty to sign but is under no illusion that there is work to be done to make it. Actively pushing himself into a make it or break it situation.

I really hope he goes away and pushes himself into a break out year. Footy gods know that we need to catch some breaks and I hope that Will is one of them.
Needed to do it last preseason.

It’s funny/sad as we are crying out for a defensively minded, tackling machine to compliment the other mids.

Unfortunately he hasn’t been able to take that position due to his lack of aerobic capacity, even at VFL level he goes unnoticed for large periods of the game.

This question is can he become our version of Berry, Rowebottom, Drew etc.

Dunno, I hope he sticks around and has one last crack with us but I’m not fussed if he leaves.

Was his fitness an issue when initially drafted? I can't recall it being a red flag?

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, that's why we plonked him at half forward but he couldn't really play there. Looked like he'd spent too much time in the weights room through covid, couldn't cover the ground and then got sick.

Why would Will refuse the triggers? Seems a no brainer to negotiate further employment, he can always negotiate an exit.

Blardy heck I'm getting confused, which isn't difficult. North I 'believe' haven't offered triggers, just 12 months on very reduced coin.

A take it or leave it scenario, or a no shits given scenario which ever is easier to digest.

Is it wrong, is it right, dunno but it is what it is.

Personally I can't see him taking it, which if one was to read between the lines I would suggest we hope he doesn't take it.

Someone get him on the blower to Lachie Neale. I know he isn't currently fit to tie Neale's bootlaces but he has Neale's defensive mindset, cleanliness below his knees and tidy disposal. Desperate times but maybe a new mentor is what he needs.

Having had pneumonia twice and glandular fever, I can tell you for a fact your cardio is set back by years after copping that.

To this day I struggle with attaining high zone 2 and above aerobic fitness/cardio. He can only hope to turn the corner this off-season in terms of fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back