Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The glandular obviously hasn’t helped. And last preseason was supposed to be around 70%. But I thought he’d make progress this preseason. He seemed like he had a good summer but there hasnt appeared to be identifiable progress.

I do now wonder if his future is at Arden st.

If he isn't staying then we are getting peanuts for him in a trade so we might as well keep him and turn him into something useful, like a tagger as he has already proven to take some pretty big scalps.

A good club with good development program should see his potential and maximise it.

Hopefully bump his trade value from a fourth rounder to a late third.
Spongebob Squarepants Thumbs Down GIF

Out of the box, but could we sit Will on Gryan Miers Probably doesn’t have the tank but would have him for speed off the mark. Just keeps him accountable all day and would fill a hole in defence for a week we need it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

FIGURE A: Bigfooty Will Phillips Valuation Oscillations - AEST 1900-2000 25 July 2024

Well yes and I assume the peak was the brownlow vote match, I really don't care if he stays or goes and tbh that isn't a flash thought process, says a lot about Phillips career to date.
I hope he plays well as I backed us not ten minutes after the Blues match @ $4.35.00.
So I'll be cheering away and love him to pull a 30 disposal 9 tackle 7 marks and 2000 metres gained. There will be no one happier.

But it will most likely be, 14 disposals , 1 mark, 3 tackles and 55 feet gained.

Hopefully bump his trade value from a fourth rounder to a late third.
Haven't heard anything from club,,,,,but I wonder if he went back to VFL level to do a block of intense cardio training during the week and so wouldn't be up to the level come game day.....didn't set the world alight in the VFL, but back in. Who knows, I want to see Will make it, but the club would know how much is conditioning vs illness hangover, kid strikes me as having a good work ethic though.

Haven't heard anything from club,,,,,but I wonder if he went back to VFL level to do a block of intense cardio training during the week and so wouldn't be up to the level come game day.....didn't set the world alight in the VFL, but back in. Who knows, I want to see Will make it, but the club would know how much is conditioning vs illness hangover, kid strikes me as having a good work ethic though.

Dunno tbh, but i do know his VFL numbers are rather shithouse and there is no denying that, averages 8 kicks 14 handballs, not sure a player in the AFL with those numbers is going to get many pats on the back.
5.8 tackles is pretty good and oh averages 2 marks per game to top it all off.

As a rather decent poster with their head firmly screwed on said recently, if these issues are due to earlier health concerns, maybe it is best we parted ways, as sad as that would be.

He still haven't fully recovered from the glandular fever.

He has made some ground with tagging why not continue it, even if it's something temporary until he can establish in some more permanent role.

Anthony stevens was a tagger before fully establishing in the middle.

Do you know this as a fact? Source?

Also Phillips doesn't have anywhere near the intensity that Stevens had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back