Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips and Sheezel spent plenty of time starting across half forward. As soon as the ball was bounced they were then pushing up to the stoppages to provide an extra number. We were doing it all day, and we were rotating through which players were pushing up to be the extra number.

LDU too

Phillips and Sheezel spent plenty of time starting across half forward. As soon as the ball was bounced they were then pushing up to the stoppages to provide an extra number. We were doing it all day, and we were rotating through which players were pushing up to be the extra number.
65% in the back half, 14 CBA and zero inside 50s. If he was playing mid forward he got lost somewhere.

65% in the back half, 14 CBA and zero inside 50s. If he was playing mid forward he got lost somewhere.

He wasn't actually playing mid/forward. Purely just starting at half forward then essentially playing as an extra midfielder around the stoppages.

We've been employing this tactic a lot since the mid season break to allow LDU & Sheezel more space on the offensive side of the stoppages. It's actually been one of the biggest changes in or game plan over the past 10 weeks.

Been a variety of players who have played the role too, Powell, Phillips, Simpkin, LDU and even Wardlaw have rotated through the role.

Might be worth checking how much of the time the ball was in Richmond's forward line before getting too caught up on Will's positioning. No point him being where the ball wasn't.

He wasn't actually playing mid/forward. Purely just starting at half forward then essentially playing as an extra midfielder around the stoppages.

We've been employing this tactic a lot since the mid season break to allow LDU & Sheezel more space on the offensive side of the stoppages. It's actually been one of the biggest changes in or game plan over the past 10 weeks.

Been a variety of players who have played the role too, Powell, Phillips, Simpkin, LDU and even Wardlaw have rotated through the role.
Agreed then.

using facts that defeat you're own argument, sure
Playing for a contract he had 90 odd minutes and managed 15 at 73%. Did you watch Lazz in the two's? If will put a performance in like that there'd be 10 pages of you lot circle jerking. BOG, has improved every part of his game. Corey Wagner is perfect evidence that hard work can get you there. Laz is miles ahead of Wagner at the same stage of his career but you're all frothing over a bloke the coaches don't rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing for a contract he had 90 odd minutes and managed 15 at 73%. Did you watch Lazz in the two's? If will put a performance in like that there'd be 10 pages of you lot circle jerking. BOG, has improved every part of his game. Corey Wagner is perfect evidence that hard work can get you there. Laz is miles ahead of Wagner at the same stage of his career but you're all frothing over a bloke the coaches don't rate.
so where is laz then?

He'll be playing this week and I'm pretty sure he'll be on the list next year.
and how did laz do in his run of games this year?

cause 15 disposals is no good by your measure, so out of 9 games how often do you think laz got there? do you think he got to 20 disposals?

Gotta pot wilphil at all costs
I think it goes both ways in here. There's people who talk him up beyond the output in an attempt to justify their opinion that was formed years ago and there's people who dismiss his input to justify their opinion.

He definitely isn't setting the world on fire and definitely needs to find the ball more and impact games.
However, I would offer him two years and see how it goes - we do look better when he plays imo and he has contributed defensively since the break.

I don't think Will is playing for a contract. He'll either be re-signed by us or be traded, but I'm confident that he knows he'll be on an AFL list somewhere next year.

Charlie Lazzaro and Corey Wagner have very little to do with it.

I think it goes both ways in here. There's people who talk him up beyond the output in an attempt to justify their opinion that was formed years ago and there's people who dismiss his input to justify their opinion.

He definitely isn't setting the world on fire and definitely needs to find the ball more and impact games.
However, I would offer him two years and see how it goes - we do look better when he plays imo and he has contributed defensively since the break.
Oh it definitely goes both ways.

I agree with all that you’ve said here.

and how did laz do in his run of games this year?

cause 15 disposals is no good by your measure, so out of 9 games how often do you think laz got there? do you think he got to 20 disposals?
Laz didn't get the midfield minutes Will does. He's improved massively and Will has regressed, that's undeniable.

Fair bit of agreement with what you've said here.

He had 15 plus 6 tackles plus a goal plus a goal assist on the weekend. Throw in the goal that was disallowed due the throw call, and he has been solid.

If he can build to consistently getting 20, being accountable defensively, and can hit the scoreboard, then he will stay in the seniors for a long time yet.

Miles ahead of Charlie. We have seen it several times with Lazarrio now that he looks great in the VFL but doesn't cut it at the senior level, where his fumbles, poor skills, and suspect decision making can't be offset by his running capacity. He's what a mate of mine would call a "1 and a halfs player".

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back