Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Will is playing for a contract. He'll either be re-signed by us or be traded, but I'm confident that he knows he'll be on an AFL list somewhere next year.

Charlie Lazzaro and Corey Wagner have very little to do with it.
Just pointing out the double standard, two games in a row Laz has put the 2s on his back in the last quarter with repeat efforts and leadership. He's an absolute professional and clearly a dedicated trainer, he'd be upwards of 30 coaches votes for the season now. I'd be surprised if he's not on the list next year.

Fair bit of agreement with what you've said here.

He had 15 plus 6 tackles plus a goal plus a goal assist on the weekend. Throw in the goal that was disallowed due the throw call, and he has been solid.

If he can build to consistently getting 20, being accountable defensively, and can hit the scoreboard, then he will stay in the seniors for a long time yet.

Miles ahead of Charlie. We have seen it several times with Lazarrio now that he looks great in the VFL but doesn't cut it at the senior level, where his fumbles, poor skills, and suspect decision making can't be offset by his running capacity. He's what a mate of mine would call a "1 and a halfs player".
How many wrote off Xerri despite great VFL form? Laz has been playing different roles in the VFL the last four or five weeks, I doubt we'd be doing that if we weren't looking at keeping him.

Just pointing out the double standard, two games in a row Laz has put the 2s on his back in the last quarter with repeat efforts and leadership. He's an absolute professional and clearly a dedicated trainer, he'd be upwards of 30 coaches votes for the season now. I'd be surprised if he's not on the list next year.
Laz is a good VFL player. Not afl worthy.

How many wrote off Xerri despite great VFL form? Laz has been playing different roles in the VFL the last four or five weeks, I doubt we'd be doing that if we weren't looking at keeping him.

Time will tell. he has been playing well in the twos, and has consistently done so. There are always players that are stiff to be delisted at the end of a season and this year I think that will be even more so for one or two.

If they decide that Charlie probably won't transition to being a first team player then he could be in trouble. i think the coaches always had faith in Xerri (big guys take time and all that).

If Charlie does get another year it may not be great news for Cooper Harvey.

So if Will's received 2 out of a possible 80 or 90 coaches votes in the two's what does that mean?
That VFL is a different game. Not all AFL players play well in the twos. Not all Star VFL players play well in the AFL.

Phillips obviously was given specific instructions and directions when playing VFL.

Laz has been thrown in the middle to make the VFL team competitive.

Phillips is a much better AFL player than Lazzaro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's made me look a fool with his blistering form, that's for sure.
So are you saying you know better than Clarkson and the rest of the coaching staff? I’m not sure what you’re getting out of potting him on here.

Laz was given an extended run of games earlier on in the year when WP was playing VFL and he obviously didn’t fill his role as Clarko would’ve liked. Phillips is given a shot and has done pretty decent filling his role as per team needs week to week.

This thread is like a highly dysfunctional family that goes away for a weekend together in a haunted mansion built next to a pet cemetery.

XWphFtsORBfkO_HWrnEkzhjwhig=.gif

He said he mentioned it 5 or 6 times....

That VFL is a different game. Not all AFL players play well in the twos. Not all Star VFL players play well in the AFL.

Phillips obviously was given specific instructions and directions when playing VFL.

Laz has been thrown in the middle to make the VFL team competitive.

Phillips is a much better AFL player than Lazzaro
Your first sentence is so true. Not saying the rest isn't but that first sentence is so very true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back