Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

So not very many at all.
Enough.

Will was recruited based on his underage year. He matured early and physically intimated his smaller and still growing opponents. Unfortunately he is the same size and weight now as he was then, but all his opponents now are way bigger. He still has the same issues with his game and fitness, but the strengths have mostly disappeared because he is playing against men and not boys. He may or may not get a little fitter, but he will never be more than depth.

Invisible in the second half. Barely kicks it because he can't get separation.

I agree about his lack of separation, but if he is getting his disposals at the coal face and releasing handballs to the likes of Powell & LDU, then I don’t see a problem with him having 70% of his touches by hand. Especially when, the defensive side of his game is really sound. 8 tackles and 21 pressure acts is the sort of pressure needed so that LDU can play a more offensive game.

He can't run out a game.
Mate, if you are going to bang on about a topic, at least take the time to understand the background. Will is a great kid and works his backside off. His capacities have been limited because of two bouts of glandular fever, not because he doesn't work hard enough. I doubt he will ever get to his pre-draft potential as a consequence which is heartbreaking for the kid, because he loves the club and gives everything he can. We can all question his ability to make it as an AFL player but he doesn't deserve random uninformed flogs questioning his character.

I agree about his lack of separation, but if he is getting his disposals at the coal face and releasing handballs to the likes of Powell & LDU, then I don’t see a problem with him having 70% of his touches by hand. Especially when, the defensive side of his game is really sound. 8 tackles and 21 pressure acts is the sort of pressure needed so that LDU can play a more offensive game.
2 Disposals in the third and 3 in the last. He's just not up too it.

Mate, if you are going to bang on about a topic, at least take the time to understand the background. Will is a great kid and works his backside off. His capacities have been limited because of two bouts of glandular fever, not because he doesn't work hard enough. I doubt he will ever get to his pre-draft potential as a consequence which is heartbreaking for the kid, because he loves the club and gives everything he can. We can all question his ability to make it as an AFL player but he doesn't deserve random uninformed flogs questioning his character.
Then we move on.

Yeah Swallow some posters unfortunately get a hate on a player and know matter what they do or how they play it is never good enough, they always look at the negatives not the positives. It happens a lot on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps. And perhaps you can learn not to be an uninformed campaigner.
Thanks mate, I'm well aware of Will's glandular fever. I don't personally know him so couldn't really give AF. I'm interested in North melbourne getting better and have stated before that he either hasn't put in the work or he's cooked from glandular, either way we need to move on. We're not running make a wish.

Thanks mate, I'm well aware of Will's glandular fever. I don't personally know him so couldn't really give AF. I'm interested in North melbourne getting better and have stated before that he either hasn't put in the work or he's cooked from glandular, either way we need to move on. We're not running make a wish.
Understood, and agree to an extent, but perhaps the medical team thinks he needs more time, or perhaps they don't and the clubs position is that he will never get up to pace and they have him in the shop window. Your stated position was that he unprofessional and your consistent badgering of him on here was become personal. And that's shit. Try to be more balanced and less campaignery.

Here we are again, North Melbourne lose and it’s all Will Phillip’s fault it’s so f*cking tiring and predictable.

I haven’t seen one comment solely blaming him. But yet again he has another mediocre sub 20d game. He let Dewar absolutely cook him for a defensive stoppage goal in the last quarter. He can cop the same criticism as every other plodder out there today

Why do we have to handle this bloke with kid gloves. He’s not very good, at best he’s going to be a depth player with a lot of time in the vfl. If this bloke was pick 57, he’d be in the same conversations regarding delistings as Lazzaro etc.

I haven’t seen one comment solely blaming him. But yet again he has another mediocre sub 20d game. He let Dewar absolutely cook him for a defensive stoppage goal in the last quarter. He can cop the same criticism as every other plodder out there today

Why do we have to handle this bloke with kid gloves. He’s not very good, at best he’s going to be a depth player with a lot of time in the vfl. If this bloke was pick 57, he’d be in the same conversations regarding delistings as Lazzaro etc.
your only measure is disposals, lol

What other impact did he have?. Tackles? Sure, cheap ones in tight. Nice.

What else does he bring?.
and tackles don't count either, amazing

Pink, Zurhaar, Comben, Sheils, McDonald, Tucker, Simpkin are all well ahead of Will in terms of criticism for today’s loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back