Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He is worth the list spot, especially considering we have the likes of Stephenson and RHJ on the list.
Sorry I'm not saying we give him the flick, I feel like a 1 year deal is reasonable.

More just don't want to hold onto him out of fear it clicks for him elsewhere.

Don’t think that’s the problem to be honest. Think he probably doesn’t want to sign which is understandable.

I think we’re a better side with him playing and I would play him but he definitely needs to do more. Output seems to be a decent minimum. His disposal is fine apart from awareness (passing to hot teammates).

Hope we can keep him but think he wants to leave.
A possibility there isn't a contract to sign yet I think.

He's only going at 65-70% ToG which is probably a reflection of a few factors: Health set backs, current fitness and confidence levels, pecking order in the rotations.

I think he has clear AFL level attributes in his game along with certain limitations due to the continuity set backs, it just depends on whether we think those set backs have capped his potential & his ceiling has been reached.

Personally I hope we give him a year, but at this stage it's up in the air and I get the feeling the club thinks the same as of right now.

Sorry I'm not saying we give him the flick, I feel like a 1 year deal is reasonable.

More just don't want to hold onto him out of fear it clicks for him elsewhere.
Another club will take him on a better offer. He can play and has class. But he just may struggle getting into our line up.

We are second last and could honestly have 3 players contending for AA. And there is plenty of improvement to come. It's just a shame for wil that he is competing for the only position we are stacked

I'd definitely like to see him get another deal. In 2025 I could see him getting more of Simpkin's cb time. I think Jye's poor disposal could see him spend more time in the forward 50 and hopefully with a gruelling pre season Will can step up. Give him 12 months, he doesn't deserve to be axed and lets see what next year brings for Will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd definitely like to see him get another deal. In 2025 I could see him getting more of Simpkin's cb time. I think Jye's poor disposal could see him spend more time in the forward 50 and hopefully with a gruelling pre season Will can step up. Give him 12 months, he doesn't deserve to be axed and lets see what next year brings for Will.
I wouldn't be to concerned, in what universe are we getting rid of players with wills potential whilst still having zero depth on the list.

Just give the kid two years - he will be an asset. When we are competing we will need depth and be screaming out for this type of player. He can play forward, which everyone seems to refuse to even consider. Powell can play back as he did today.

They are classy players. We are creating a bloody quality side with flexibility.

In a year’s time he will be 50 games on and ready to explode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back