Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

One more point that was made by a commentator during the game and looked fairly accurate on tv (but its harder to tell properly) was just how hard our other mids were working to make blocks and create lanes for LDU and Sheeze. That's Will and Jy alot of the time.
Yep you’re absolutely right mate, Will was blocking for LDU a fair bit.

Just pointing out the double standard, two games in a row Laz has put the 2s on his back in the last quarter with repeat efforts and leadership. He's an absolute professional and clearly a dedicated trainer, he'd be upwards of 30 coaches votes for the season now. I'd be surprised if he's not on the list next year.

I’m a well-documented and staunch WilPhil fan, supporter and believer. But I also think what you say about Laz is true & I loved what I saw from Charlie when he had some opportunities earlier in the year.

One more point that was made by a commentator during the game and looked fairly accurate on tv (but its harder to tell properly) was just how hard our other mids were working to make blocks and create lanes for LDU and Sheeze. That's Will and Jy alot of the time.

A lot of work blocking for Zurhaar in the forward 50 stoppages as well.

People keep bringing this up but tbh I haven't seen much, if any, over the top praise for Phillips. The most praise he usually gets are comments along the lines of "he played his role well" or "had this good specific moment", which is about what you'd expect for a sub-50 game inside mid.
People saying he's the best kick within 25m at the club is over the top. I don't think he's shown that.

If I was Will, I’d be looking elsewhere to extend my career.
How does he ever genuinely fit into a midfield with guys like Jy, Wardlaw, McKercher and Powell ahead of him? Plus, having guys like Stephens and Tucker on our list doesn’t help his cause either.
If Will was a 6ft 2in, different story. Or if we only had 1 or 2 small mids on our list, different story.
There’s no doubt Will could be a reasonable midfielder, but how that happens at NM with our list profile…..I don’t see it.

If I was Will, I’d be looking elsewhere to extend my career.
How does he ever genuinely fit into a midfield with guys like Jy, Wardlaw, McKercher and Powell ahead of him? Plus, having guys like Stephens and Tucker on our list doesn’t help his cause either.
If Will was a 6ft 2in, different story. Or if we only had 1 or 2 small mids on our list, different story.
There’s no doubt Will could be a reasonable midfielder, but how that happens at NM with our list profile…..I don’t see it.
Lol guys like Jy. I stopped reading after that.

For all of this, I want to give a shout out to Junk Yard.

If this is a social experiment to draw out the same type of conversation from as many posters as possible, it’s phenomenal.

It’s like he’s an AI bot sent by the Big Wigs of Big Footy to keep post numbers high and certain topics at the top of a Board.

I personally love Will Phil but to be fair his form, contract status and overall standing in the game probably warrants a thread about 15 per cent of the size it is.

Tip of the hat Junk Yard, you’ve turned Will Phil into a Big Footy phenom.

I’m looking forward to the automated response post haste.

But you don’t understand…it’s not coaches votes…no coaches votes…no contract….

….but Phillips didn’t get 30 disposals and kick 2 goals. Delist

….but Phillips didn’t get 30 disposals and kick 2 goals. Delist
You can't realistically have every mid ball chasing without a care in the world.

Why Will's numbers are used to damn him is beyond me. Watch his involvements, he improves the team even if he's not streaming downfield taking 14 bounces.

Crikey he even chimed in with 2 goals in terms of plays he was involved in. (Yes 1 was disallowed but he still executed the play before it was nulled)

animation gun GIF by KLIKKLAKBAM

You can't realistically have every mid ball chasing without a care in the world.

Why Will's numbers are used to damn him is beyond me. Watch his involvements, he improves the team even if he's not streaming downfield taking 14 bounces.

Crikey he even chimed in with 2 goals in terms of plays he was involved in. (Yes 1 was disallowed but he still executed the play before it was nulled)
Mate 100%, it’s diabolical that he is getting blasted on here for having sub 20 disposal games when he is the one putting blocks and allowing our other mids to create space. The two goals on the weekend were just extra strings he added to his bow.

Liam Shiels (Clarkos favourite son) averaged 19 disposals a game over his career at Hawthorn. WP averaged that in his third season at North.

Last edited:
For all of this, I want to give a shout out to Junk Yard.

If this is a social experiment to draw out the same type of conversation from as many posters as possible, it’s phenomenal.

It’s like he’s an AI bot sent by the Big Wigs of Big Footy to keep post numbers high and certain topics at the top of a Board.

I personally love Will Phil but to be fair his form, contract status and overall standing in the game probably warrants a thread about 15 per cent of the size it is.

Tip of the hat Junk Yard, you’ve turned Will Phil into a Big Footy phenom.

I’m looking forward to the automated response post haste.
It's a thing of beauty. So many defend him so fiercely, time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must be like the fifth bloke to claim he kicked two goals. FFS, score involvements?? He had 3, the same number as Tucker and mcdonald...

Those two goals and the assist to LDU for his first.

He was vital in our first two goals, which should have been our first three, and in all those situations it was because he worked well with the other mids in the side.

Jy couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. Couldn’t hit the side of a barn. Couldn’t kick snow off a rope. He couldn’t handball and hit a tit, he worm burns handballs
That's 💯 correct. However he's still miles ahead of Will. At least Jy manages to create some separation so he can kick.

At least Jy manages to create some separation so he can kick.
Creates separation for who? NM players away from the ball? His disposal hurts our fast break more than Phillips (lack of) pace does.

JY is 💯 a better player than Will, but you’re making it sound like he is a God and the best player at his role on our list.

Creates separation for who? NM players away from the ball? His disposal hurts our fast break more than Phillips (lack of) pace does.

JY is 💯 a better player than Will, but you’re making it sound like he is a God and the best player at his role on our list.
Think you're confused. I think Jy is shit too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back