Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I think through the draft in the past few years, you can tell that North's strategy is to bank on building midfield depth. So whether Will is the 5th best midfielder out of the group isn't a concern, its by design. Just a matter of if Will is happy to play that role. If we want to be good, we'll need to bat deep and as you can see with Wardlaw and Simpkin missing parts of this season, a Will Phillips backing them up is a fantastic position to be in.

IMO current version of Phillips is super intriguing - he has added the ability to play as an effective tagger, and is also one of the best ball users and decision makers on our team. He can play shutdown and also impact the scoreboard. Not an easy mix of skills to possess.

If one of the reasons why we drafted him in the first place was for his leadership, professionalism, and work ethic, then Will will sort himself out with getting himself into AFL-standard fitness and physicality. He has already demonstrated that he can adapt, follow instructions, and take critical feedback (like getting dropped) well.

Some past premiership teams have had remarkable midfield depth, some that are pure-midfielders but with many adaptable players rotating through:

2016 Bulldogs: Bont, McCrae, Hunter, Picken, Dahlhaus, Libba, Dunkley, Daniel
2007 Cats: Ablett Jnr, Bartel, Selwood, Kelly, Corey, Ling, Chapman
2006 Eagles: Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Fletcher, Stenglein, Selwood
2001 Lions: Voss, Akermanis, Lappin, Black, Hart, Power, McCrae, Ashcroft

The Bulldogs and Lions batted 8 deep! Cats and Eagles with 7 and probably more players that rotated through.

As a comparison, current North also have 7-8 potential midfield depth:
2024 Roos: Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell, McKercher, Phillips

I think Phillips can play that Picken/Ling/Hart/Stenglein defensive-mid role at the minimum - he has shown he can this year. But I also think Phillips has a higher ceiling than those players, so I'm hoping he can come back in 2025 in the best shape of his life to demonstrate his potential.
Agree. Its all about growth and if the club and Will see that happening in 2025 at nmfc. If he picks up 5 possessions per game or 1 goal and 2 i50 tackles per game with some assists - its a win. Bonus to shut down oppo mids at times.
Many would back him based in his attitude. He has been in the seconds a lot including in preseason so his confidence is probably pretty shot.
I would back 1 or even 2 year extension. Who would we replace him with if he goes?
Powell looks better each week out of the square hb etc and it looks like phillips and simpkin would rotate at hf if all are fit. Depends a lot on who we draft. Lazzaro is only inside mid in reserve atm.
Will isnt the sort of player that will blitz coming in and out of the side. He needs continuity. Really hasnt had it. Its more of a cunners/jacobs trajectory if we are lucky. We are biased by harry and george expecting instant impact.

He found some gaps. He never created or found space due to his pace or running.
jesus f*cking christ that is the peak, "gaps are not space", pack it in for the love of god

No it's his slow running that gives the impression that he's slow. If you can't see that then you're really not being honest.
Didn't you say that he gave that Geelong player a 20m head start?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jesus f*cking christ that is the peak, "gaps are not space", pack it in for the love of god

This could well be the greatest post ever. There's been a lot of posts done but this is definitely one of them.

This thread ends with a forensic audit of everyone Will's ever rooted to find out which one of them is related to Junk Yard.

For all of this, I want to give a shout out to Junk Yard.

If this is a social experiment to draw out the same type of conversation from as many posters as possible, it’s phenomenal.

It’s like he’s an AI bot sent by the Big Wigs of Big Footy to keep post numbers high and certain topics at the top of a Board.

I personally love Will Phil but to be fair his form, contract status and overall standing in the game probably warrants a thread about 15 per cent of the size it is.

Tip of the hat Junk Yard, you’ve turned Will Phil into a Big Footy phenom.

I’m looking forward to the automated response post haste.
Ha, I just opened this thread and wondered how on earth there could be five pages of Will discussion in the last couple of days.

Ha, I just opened this thread and wondered how on earth there could be five pages of Will discussion in the last couple of days.
I too am a sucker for this weird punishment. Revisiting this thread is like a reality show you hate yourself for watching, and yet you can't fight it.

Sooo many angry people!!
People aren't angry, they're laughing. This isn't because they don't have reservations about Will's future, it's just that they are mind ****ed by the bizarre obsession you have.

It's hilarious how thoroughly Phillips dominates you as a poster.

People aren't angry, they're laughing. This isn't because they don't have reservations about Will's future, it's just that they are mind ****ed by the bizarre obsession you have.

It's hilarious how thoroughly Phillips dominates you as a poster.
Haha, you can't be serious? Dominates me as a poster?? It's a footy forum mate, who cares?

Haha, you can't be serious? Dominates me as a poster?? It's a footy forum mate, who cares?
Lol, let's have a look at the post to player ratio.

He owns you, it's not even in dispute. He has you over a pillow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back