Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Geary had a good game. There I said it are you all happy? He still let Daniel completely off the hook in the last quarter but he played well for the most part and led by example.

He wasn't on him any more, they said in the coverage that Daniel moved up the ground and Gears went to Johannisen (who had about 1 touch from that point on).

Hill: Just love his cleanliness when there’s chaos everywhere. He uses it sublimely and the opposition makes sure he can’t receive it too often. Leading 31 sprints, leading 7 repeat sprints, leading 2.7kms at high speed

Stats aside, I thought he was destroyed tonight. Barely had influence himself and Bailey Smith was the best for the Dogs. I'd love to see him rebound from that next week.

Geary had a good game. There I said it are you all happy? He still let Daniel completely off the hook in the last quarter but he played well for the most part and led by example.
Geary was on JJ in the last quarter mate.

Morning all

Lol
How ****ing good is it!!!!
God damn

Carlisle
Doogs
The Capt
Max at the start, had me off the couch when he roved that dropped mark, brushed that tackle and went the snap
BF wouldve exploded if he kicked that
Paddy bloody ryder and hanners turning back clocks
Clark doing Neo impressions in the matrix
Seb ross stood up, had a great game...no shit long kicks did we all notice that??

Damn its a great morning

Lets all collectively prey to the footy gods that they give us a little help with padd
Bastards certianly owe us one

Was great on here last night
giphy (30).gif

Gutsy win in the end. Looked like we were more fatigued than Dogs in the last 10 - 15 minutes but they stayed pretty calm and worked out a way to hold on. Probably good for the team in the long run that the Doggies came back at them.

Thought most of the team contributed something. Maybe look to Billings and Hill to have more influence next week. King I think took some big steps in the first half and started holding those marks he has been struggling with. He is going to be a very serious footballer in a couple of years.

I've completely flipped on Coffield this year. Start of the year I was questioning if he had it but he is probably challenging for most improved in AFL this year. I thought he was hugely impactful, especially in the second half and pipped only by Ryder for BOG.

Such a shame for Paddy, one minute to go! We wouldn't have won without his game. Huge influence all over the ground. Probably the recruiting masterstroke of 2019 (Doggies would be wishing they had thought of it!)

Richmond will be a whole lot tougher of course but that sort of form and a lift from Hill and Billings and anything is possible.

Easier win than I thought. Had a shower in the last quarter and went to bed knowing the win was never in doubt. Can’t see us losing another game until a vaccine is found. Not a covid vaccine but a vaccine to stop the saints. Not going to go over the top after that win but not even going to watch the tigers or port games. Next game I watch will be the pies saints grand final. As I said please don’t go over the top after a nice solid win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say Geary in the last 2 weeks has really shown why he's our leader. Geary is the perfect guy to represent our club, when you get the AFL captains together he's the odd one out every time. In a meeting of the the ASX top 100 companies he's the guy who owns the local milk bar, In a line up of thoroughbreds he's a pack mule, other club captains are the cream of their clubs. Gears is the humble guy next door that stops to help someone push start their car. He's blue collar and hard working but that's exactly his charm.

St Kilda doesn't have much of a trophy cabinet but we appeal to the romantically minded fan, artists and musicians, outsiders, lovers of underdog stories. Clubs like Essendon and Carlton are Trump like boorish braggarts, the Saints are like a blackberry vine in an apple orchard, they'll cut you and hurt you for tiny rewards but it adds to the romantic narrative. We are like a self destructive old rockstar at times but strangely charming while we do it. I think I fell back in love with the club last night. Paddy's heartbreaking tears making the siren bittersweet is just so Saints, you get a sugar-hit but not without a little arsenic.

Anyway this was meant to be a Geary rant not a love letter to the club. The little pack mule went out on the battle field while the thoroughbreds bolted when the gunfire stared. Geary is all heart and fortitude, he's the romantic captain, nothing came easy and he's extracted every drop. I remember at the end of Riewoldt's reign, the players went to the junction oval for training, Rooey pulled up and parked this huge black Benz, Geary parked next to him in a ****ed old BA Ford with a missing hubcap. There is no-one more perfect to represent this club than Gears.

Last edited:
I was at a Dandenong Stingrays presentation night a few years back. During his speech, their coach, Craig Black, explained that the aim for the Stingrays each year wasn’t to win the premiership, but was to play in two finals, as achieving this realistic aim consistently was the best way to develop young players.

So, as much as I want us to win next week, from a development perspective for our younger players, playing two finals this year will still be massive for our club down the track.

Three or four finals would obviously be better, but, as Black said, two finals is a great base for development.

How many goals did the Dogs end up kicking from free kicks does anyone know?

Most were there but there were a couple of shocking decisions amongst them.

At the game i counted seven shots on goal. by half time they had four goals and two were from free kicks. I said to family that the umpires seem to be inventing ways to keep the doggies in the game. The last quarter was out of control.

The five close losses have been so frustrating this year but it was probably beneficial for us in the end. Membrey going behind the ball paid off. Jones and Ross played their moments right to get more stoppages. My favourite part to the last couple of minutes though was the three young boys down back. Clark getting the spoil in a one on one, then Paton leaving his man to get the spoil where Coffield got to the right crumbing spot and won the free. Three third year players standing up in the last minute to get us over the line.

Paddy Paddy Paddy

I thought he'd be the difference. He's become my favourite Saints player. Said earlier he's been the most important of our recruits. Absolutely gutted for him, but grateful at the same time.

Hanner's composure is exactly what this team has been missing for years. And when he got in liberatore's face it was a thing of beauty.

Gears.. I tip my hat to you sir.

Unbelievably proud of the boys... the coaches... the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back