Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

You really notice how hard Brad Hill works when you go to the game.

Battle has a presence about him.

Cordy got absolutely pantsed.

Wasn't impressed with Higgins. At all

Butler... kick a drop punt mate.

Our kicking... again. We just turn the ball over and it destroys us.

People love Ross Lyon's year.... I get it... but fmd when I see our midfield getting smashed and Owens is in the goal square I want to break sh*t. It's the single biggest failing of the year imo. Next year I want to see Owens and Windhager in the middle where they belong.

Nas is a star.

We need good kicks people. We need good kicks. We need people with footy iq that can look inside 50 and make the right decision, then execute. Until we get that, we won't contend.

This has been the issue since 2011. Effort is there, system is there, we just need the skills and nous to properly nail it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit over all the King bashing.

We were lucky to have him out there with half a shoulder.

He’s as committed as anyone in the team, can’t wait to see him develop further in the next few seasons.
what King bashing, as I assume you are referring to me

seems to me that any negative comments on Max's performances on this board see's the lynch mob out. (and look at you all)
Nobody commented on his commitment, rather his performance, and not just today's effort

He can be a great contested mark, but he could be a hell of a lot better by being on the move, doesn't even have to be more than a jog, separation and work off the ball prior to arrival could make him so much better.
regularly pulls up just before the ball arrives and by not using hands out front and chest marking had numerous spoilt today alone.
small things that make the defender far more panicky simply because it's far harder to grapple in a contest or has toreaqch so far it brings in a heap more free kicks

his kicking imo still needs work, head over the ball more and he walks in too slow, which improved on last year, but I still see the same flaws
and lastly effort, when was the last time you actually saw Max bust a gut to help the team, chase, really push to a contest.

basic things that are the difference between a good player and a great player.

Not a great finish but a great season none the less. Beaten by a better side today and for the first time this year l think out coached. Plenty to take in to the pre season and beyond, go saints!

At the ground it seemed to me that Briggs was all over Marshall. Obviously Marshall got plenty of it and helped out massively with clearances but Briggs’ physicality was a problem for Marshall. I rate Briggs.
Marshall gets exposed in the ruck contests most weeks, he's fantastic around the ground, but his ruck craft is poor. As soon as he comes up against a bigger body, he gets monstered.

I'm not bashing King but I'm not hailing him as the messiah yet either, he still has stuff to work on to get better and reach his potential.

RTB was always reluctant to heap too much praise on King or any of our other young players, got to treat them mean to keep them keen.

Our young players have made some good progress this year but they can't be satisfied with that, they need to keep pushing to get better.

I was on level 1 on the fence and didn't get wet once except for the walk from Richmond station to the ground 15 minutes before the game. Are we making up conditions now?
Rained a couple of times, really not sure how you didn’t notice.

what King bashing, as I assume you are referring to me

seems to me that any negative comments on Max's performances on this board see's the lynch mob out. (and look at you all)
Nobody commented on his commitment, rather his performance, and not just today's effort

He can be a great contested mark, but he could be a hell of a lot better by being on the move, doesn't even have to be more than a jog, separation and work off the ball prior to arrival could make him so much better.
regularly pulls up just before the ball arrives and by not using hands out front and chest marking had numerous spoilt today alone.
small things that make the defender far more panicky simply because it's far harder to grapple in a contest or has toreaqch so far it brings in a heap more free kicks

his kicking imo still needs work, head over the ball more and he walks in too slow, which improved on last year, but I still see the same flaws
and lastly effort, when was the last time you actually saw Max bust a gut to help the team, chase, really push to a contest.

basic things that are the difference between a good player and a great player.
Its a little bit from column A, and a little bit from column B.

He's clearly not fit. The shoulder is rooted. Need that seen to this week before he goes off on the P155.
All year he has just looked gassed most of the time and has provided practically zero defensive output. But he's a key forward and the expectation of defensive work rate will be low.

Our F50 entries all year have been putrid. Absolutely horrendous for practically the duration.

He rarely runs at the ball. His leading is non existent at the moment.

Look at Curnow for example. How often he can hit the wings and take contested marks.

He needs to get fitter.
We need to use him better.

Its true. He is a two goal forward at present.
He could be a freak. Gets way too much PR.

Marshall gets exposed in the ruck contests most weeks, he's fantastic around the ground, but his ruck craft is poor. As soon as he comes up against a bigger body, he gets monstered.
And he also smashes them around the ground.

Depends what you value more.

Given that so many studies have proven very little correlation between ruck hitouts (even to advantage) and clearances I would probably take a ruck who can win 18 clearances of his own in the last 2 games.

King just has that real lacksidasical thing about him at times. Tried to take two on the chest today only for it to be punched away. Just flat out didn’t chase or pressure a couple of times.

It’s immensely frustrating cause if he got a little more campaigner in him he’d be genuinely unstoppable.

I’ve mentioned it before but he just doesn’t look like he reeeeeeeally wants to be the big key forward. Still young, had interrupted seasons, I want it to come together (and if it does look out) but yeh… not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back