Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

3 years and we'll be rebuilding again. Sincs, Steele and Marshall types will be on the wane.

I agree, I think we go backwards next year. New coach bounce will wear off and some of the kids development is unlikely to be linear.

King is the type that will be a star in a better side. You can't find quality tall forwards easily so really just have to build the side up around him. He's in first gear and still our highest scoring player. We need to keep developing him.
What part of this season was a new coach bounce?

We will turn over heaps of this in the next 2 off seasons.

But the nucleus of what comes next is already here.

To be honest we are one more really good draft away from being a very good side

We sat next to them. They were actually a pretty solid and committed group of fans. Much bigger group than I imagined and spread further than just the Cheer Squad. I was actually surprised that any of them came. It's obviously getting some traction.
300 people, half AFL employees is traction?
ok

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marshall was absolutely amazing today. Anyone who doubts that bloke has rocks in his head. If 10 of our guys had the amount of pride he has we would be a very good side.
It’s not pride - it’s ability. And we don’t have the same quality to match it.

The Giants are chock full of top end players and keep getting access to academies etc. They’re a top pick merry-go-round. Whenever a player left they got great compensation in return.

We’re not in a level playing field - that’s completely clear.

What part of this season was a new coach bounce?

We will turn over heaps of this in the next 2 off seasons.

But the nucleus of what comes next is already here.

To be honest we are one more really good draft away from being a very good side
The part we went 5-1 with the worst injury list in the league.
You know because a bunch of 18 y.o's can execute a Lyon gameplan in the blink.of an eye..
New coach bounce my fat boomer arse.

Yeh I copped some s**t for saying Briggs beat Marshall in the centre tap work but in reality he was a huge part of getting the ball in to his guys or our to his guys and making space. Same at around the ground stoppages too, we had one clean one to Mitch in the last quarter, they had a few.
At the ground it seemed to me that Briggs was all over Marshall. Obviously Marshall got plenty of it and helped out massively with clearances but Briggs’ physicality was a problem for Marshall. I rate Briggs.

he concerns me tho, from his complete lack of run, varying effort levels and the inability to mark with hands outstretched on leads

We need Nick Riewoldt back to teach him how to work hard with repeat leads.

Max doesn't lead enough and when he does and gets beaten he sooks and gives up rather than getting back on his bike for another lead.

He has the talent to be the best key forward in the game but he can't just rely on his talent, he needs the workrate too which he lacks.

Noticed the former Prez taking an adjoining train home after the game.

umgrXP9.jpg

Was pretty flat for an hour or so but now I’m feeling like we’ve had a great season and really have something to build on next year.

The whole walk to the G before the game was special. Nothing but Saints fans everywhere. I had goosebumps when I first walked out into the stands and saw more Saints fans than I’ve ever seen in my life. And for the first five minutes or so I thought it was going to be a genuine party.

Credit to the Giants fans, they were much louder than I thought they’d be.

Tough result but an incredible experience and one I won’t forget.

Hope Tim is okay.

Bit over all the King bashing.

We were lucky to have him out there with half a shoulder.

He’s as committed as anyone in the team, can’t wait to see him develop further in the next few seasons.
I’m not sold yet.
That first shot on goal tonight which I’m pretty sure was his first touch for the game was a pretty ****en half arsed effort.
He needs to learn to get into space otherwise he’s gonna be monstered his entire career.
Plenty to work with but a hell of a lot to learn.
Needs an attitude adjustment big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The part we went 5-1 with the worst injury list in the league.
You know because a bunch of 18 y.o's can execute a Lyon gameplan in the blink.of an eye..
New coach bounce my fat boomer arse.

Agreed.

It’s what confuses me aswell.

What we saw was genuine development from kids and men into stars.

That’s not an over performance.

We also had Steele under perform in comparison to his AA years.

We had 31 goals in 12 games from king. That’s on track for 60 goals in an entire season.

So much deadwood to clear out aswell.

The Henry and Dow of the last 2 months play in our 22 and make us better

Just got home.
I had a fantastic day.
Disappointed with the result, sure.
But we are so much better than this time last year.
Beaten by a better team, but we were always a chance.
All it means is that we have a true yardstick in which to measure ourselves.
No doubt there will be gloom and doom merchants, but look at this for upside.
With the game in the balance in the last quarter, we had a starting mid four that included an 18 and a 19 year old.
We had no connection between midfield and forwards, no one was front and square, or out the back. And we had three tall forwards all attempting a mark without talking.
Put another preseason into them and tweak the game plan, we are not that far behind. We have a better team profile than our opponents today too.
Big shout out to our fans. The noise coming up to level four in the members was immense. When we had a sniff, we were LOUD.
There is so much upside now, I cannot wait until next year.

Bit over all the King bashing.

We were lucky to have him out there with half a shoulder.

He’s as committed as anyone in the team, can’t wait to see him develop further in the next few seasons.
I 100% agree.

King is a bit laconic but he's absolutely committed to being the best he can be.

At the ground it seemed to me that Briggs was all over Marshall. Obviously Marshall got plenty of it and helped out massively with clearances but Briggs’ physicality was a problem for Marshall. I rate Briggs.
1000000% what I saw too

We need Nick Riewoldt back to teach him how to work hard with repeat leads.

Max doesn't lead enough and when he does and gets beaten he sooks and gives up rather than getting back on his bike for another lead.

He has the talent to be the best key forward in the game but he can't just rely on his talent, he needs the workrate too which he lacks.
Max isn't an endurance athlete like Nick was he's a different type of player. More explosive but he can't run 16km a game like Nick did

He will never be like Nick but he could be just as good in a different way.

His leading has been better this year, give him time he's going to be an amazing player.

Our weakness came to the fore, which we know and understand what we need to try and build out in there," Lyon said after his team twice rallied from seven-goal deficits to fall 24 points short at the MCG.

"It was never going to be a one-year build. We've got to build it out over a period of time.

"I think we've grown a lot. I'm proud of our growth. I'm proud of our mindset and our fight.

"We've just got to keep building our player list, style of play. There's a lot to like. We're trying to bridge the gap and we know that."

We're going to have to keep improving. But I think we should get some natural growth out of our dedicated first- and second-year players like (Matteas) Phillipou, (Anthony) Caminiti, (Mitchito) Owens, Windhager, (Nasiah) Wanganeen-Milera.

"I thought Cooper Sharman was a shining light. We've just got to build around them for the long-term and also try and get some near-term assistance

RTB is interesting to listen to in his pressers but I felt today he'd rather just have said one word then left. The word, "Midfield".

Just a shot out to Marshall. Sincs will be our deserving B&F winner but Marshall has had a sensational year. Playing in the most physically demanding position on the ground with no genuine back up, he's played all 24 games in his customary combative style. Even today, although down in hit outs, he had over 30 possessions and a goal. We couldn't possibly have asked for more from him this year.

Max isn't an endurance athlete like Nick was he's a different type of player. More explosive but he can't run 16km a game like Nick did

He will never be like Nick but he could be just as good in a different way.

His leading has been better this year, give him time he's going to be an amazing player.
And goal kicking definitely improved. He seems a lot more confident with it.

Our weakness came to the fore, which we know and understand what we need to try and build out in there," Lyon said after his team twice rallied from seven-goal deficits to fall 24 points short at the MCG.

"It was never going to be a one-year build. We've got to build it out over a period of time.

"I think we've grown a lot. I'm proud of our growth. I'm proud of our mindset and our fight.

"We've just got to keep building our player list, style of play. There's a lot to like. We're trying to bridge the gap and we know that."

We're going to have to keep improving. But I think we should get some natural growth out of our dedicated first- and second-year players like (Matteas) Phillipou, (Anthony) Caminiti, (Mitchito) Owens, Windhager, (Nasiah) Wanganeen-Milera.

"I thought Cooper Sharman was a shining light. We've just got to build around them for the long-term and also try and get some near-term assistance
Particularly liked his line about not being able to go and get a mid at Woolworths Glenhuntly road 😀

Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back