Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall I’m confident in the Cats getting over Brisbane, however, I don’t think this team has the same level of grit and determination to turn a game around when it starts to go bad.

We seem more of a confidence within the game rather than an overall confident team i.e. if we start to play well in the game then confidence builds but perhaps don’t have the all conquering belief we can get out of a trouble no matter what.

The 2007-2011 team rightly had a belief they could get back into a game and dominate no matter the circumstances. Guys like Selwood, Chappy, Bartel, and Scarlett just had total belief in the teams capability so never lost faith.

Does our current team have this? What will Cameron, Henry, Stanley, Bruhn, Bowes, Close do if we get a few goals down early in the game?

Overall I’m confident in the Cats getting over Brisbane, however, I don’t think this team has the same level of grit and determination to turn a game around when it starts to go bad.

We seem more of a confidence within the game rather than an overall confident team i.e. if we start to play well in the game then confidence builds but perhaps don’t have the all conquering belief we can get out of a trouble no matter what.

The 2007-2011 team rightly had a belief they could get back into a game and dominate no matter the circumstances. Guys like Selwood, Chappy, Bartel, and Scarlett just had total belief in the teams capability so never lost faith.

Does our current team have this? What will Cameron, Henry, Stanley, Bruhn, Bowes, Close do if we get a few goals down early in the game?
We mounted pretty sizeable comebacks against Port and GWS this year.
But yes, obviously we want a great start.

They’ll be fine.

Listening to Scott talking about the young players has me more convinced than ever he struggles with the idea of playing the kids even if it is for the best.

Said on Lawson, with a low pick or rookie pick like him you’re just waiting on a fault. He wasn’t showing any and was basically told he had to play him.
Dempsey was hardly in the plans at the start of the year.
He admitted Mannagh who brings the energy of a 18yo should never have gone back to VFL.

I like him as a coach but it’s tough to get a start. Need a bit of luck.
Who are the players who have made him look silly by moving elsewhere?

Yes I picked up on that. He went with the "those games against Geelong were all H&A".

Hawks fans and players share a collective amnesia of the 2011 QF.
Which is funny because at the time they were all insistent that because it was a final they would turn it around.

There hasn't been many.
Here's a bit of a list of Geelong players that went to another AFL side (not complete list)

F Evans
Narkle
Ratogolea
Vardy
Cockatoo
L McCarthy - Been good for Brisbane
C Stephens
J Hamling - Decent for Freo
Thurlow
Menzel
Christensen
M Brown
J Caddy - Excellent for Richmond
D Lang
S Motlop - Free agent, decent at Port
Djerrkurra
R Gamble
L Fogarty
T Gillies
T Hunt
J Laidler
T Varcoe - Decent for the Pies
T West
W Buzza
G Horlin -Smith
S Kersten
J Murdoch
D Simpson
B Smedts
J Walker - OK at Bris and North
J Simpkin
J Jones
C Constable
D Fort
N Kreuger
J Clark - Playing really well at Freo.

I'd say Jordan Clark is the worst one. I think this was more Matty Scarlett's fault, as (apparently) he did not want him in the backline when he was defensive coach.

What is very obvious is that an individual game is a marathon not a sprint. There will always be ebbs and flows within games. And there will be turns to ride the momentum and score.

And even this year, we’ve been back a fair bit in some games and tried our hardest to come back. We’ve done this over the years no matter the players - and it’s been rare indeed when we have been demolished and rolled over.

Finally, this is a final - these are the top four teams. None are here by accident.
So all of them have the fortitude to withstand dominant periods by the opposition and then give back just as good.

There hasn't been many.
Here's a bit of a list of Geelong players that went to another AFL side (not complete list)

F Evans
Narkle
Ratogolea
Vardy
Cockatoo
L McCarthy - Been good for Brisbane
C Stephens
J Hamling - Decent for Freo
Thurlow
Menzel
Christensen
M Brown
J Caddy - Excellent for Richmond
D Lang
S Motlop - Free agent, decent at Port
Djerrkurra
R Gamble
L Fogarty
T Gillies
T Hunt
J Laidler
T Varcoe - Decent for the Pies
T West
W Buzza
G Horlin -Smith
S Kersten
J Murdoch
D Simpson
B Smedts
J Walker - OK at Bris and North
J Simpkin
J Jones
C Constable
D Fort
N Kreuger
J Clark - Playing really well at Freo.

I'd say Jordan Clark is the worst one. I think this was more Matty Scarlett's fault, as (apparently) he did not want him in the backline when he was defensive coach.
I think we are well ahead on the legder looking at that list

Jordan Clark made the AA squad this year.

But overall I understand what you're saying, and the 22nd player picked each week probably doesn't have a huge impact on the result. Which is why I will try not to melt when Bews is picked this week despite me thinking he is a poor selection.

Scott on one of the footy shows was saying Stewart is back, SDK they're still undecided, Hawkins & Guthrie are no for this week, likewise Rohan but all potentially right next week.

I'm tipping just Stewart back.
Speed will be our asset. Going tall is a mistake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um, it's pretty easy to have total belief in your team when you have All-Australians on every line and routinely finish each season with a percentage of 150%.

The difference isn't belief, it's ability.

Listening to Scott talking about the young players has me more convinced than ever he struggles with the idea of playing the kids even if it is for the best.

Said on Lawson, with a low pick or rookie pick like him you’re just waiting on a fault. He wasn’t showing any and was basically told he had to play him.
He admitted Mannagh who brings the energy of a 18yo should never have gone back to VFL.

I really disagree on this.

Scott and the associated MC have consistently shown faith in younger players and not been afraid to move veterans on against their will.

They've consistently backed in guys like Zuthrie, Dempsey, Humphries, Clark, De Koning, Holmes, Bruhn and Neale over the last few years and we've reaped the dividends.

Even in 2011 - a different coach would have played Blake, Milburn, Byrnes and Mooney over Bundy, West, Duncan and Hawkins.

Last edited:

But when you get there he has your back. I think that is why players play for him.

What is very obvious is that an individual game is a marathon not a sprint. There will always be ebbs and flows within games. And there will be turns to ride the momentum and score.

And even this year, we’ve been back a fair bit in some games and tried our hardest to come back. We’ve done this over the years no matter the players - and it’s been rare indeed when we have been demolished and rolled over.

Finally, this is a final - these are the top four teams. None are here by accident.
So all of them have the fortitude to withstand dominant periods by the opposition and then give back just as good.

Well Bris didn't finish top 4.

Yes I picked up on that. He went with the "those games against Geelong were all H&A".

Hawks fans and players share a collective amnesia of the 2011 QF.
Hawks fans should be thanking ball because we would've smoked them in the GF

Well the day is slowly approaching and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel some nerves already.

A lot of the “experts” tipping the Lions. I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll us either but we are in a bloody good position here and I hope we don’t waste it.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we come out flat and lose either.

But if we show up we win.

This season is like the Grizzly Bear story - 2 guys confronted by a Grizzly , one put his runners on - the other says WTF , you can't out run a Grizzly. Guys says don't have to out run the Grizzly , just have to out run you......

Very even from here on , we don't have to be the 2007 juggernaut.
On our day we can beat each of the other 3 , just has to be our day......twice in a row ;)

Not seeing Mannagh in the seniors until this year was a massive misstep by the club in my opinion.

Not trying to shit on the club, and hindsight is 20/20. But he has literally dominated this year. He was responsible for 5 goals in a final against Port. Let that sink in.

A kid who can't get a game for years, gets to play his first final, and creates 5 goals.

Makes you feel like he would've made a significant difference last year and could've potentially helped us make the 8.

If he'd found a way into the AFL system earlier, he'd be an elite AA gun player.

Here's to hoping we haven't missed out on his best footy.

Maybe, but I think it has worked out perfectly. We still get a home prelim, and we've minimised significantly the amount of time oppo clubs have had to think about the change to our playing style.

None of the teams in the final 4 bar Port in week one have played against this playing style with Mannagh an additional midfielder. They don't have a wealth of footage to look at, and have only seen it lose once in any way that can be meaningfully replicated.

I wouldn't say it was intentional, but it was unintentionally perfect.

The best thing for us is that we play second.

So we see how Sydney turn up. And then the team get's gee'd up seeing who will be in the GF.

With that, I doubt we start flat.

All those years we started off flat in finals, if you recall, quite a few were when we were the first team to play in that round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back