Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Early in the week I was happy for Dekoning to be left out, team has looked better without him.

Now I'm thinking it makes sense to take him in as the sub just in case Stanley has a shit one or Daniher goes on a tear.

Our ‘22 grand final side played the extra tall (SDK) without issue. Interesting we’ve gone with more run this time round at the expense of a tall defender. Blicavs was playing then a more wing/second ruck role so his game has been changed.

Effectively we’ve swapped SDK with Blicavs and added another running half forward - Mannagh.

Our ‘22 grand final side played the extra tall (SDK) without issue. Interesting we’ve gone with more run this time round at the expense of a tall defender. Blicavs was playing then a more wing/second ruck role so his game has been changed.

Effectively we’ve swapped SDK with Blicavs and added another running half forward - Mannagh.
In 2022 Blicavs wasn't playing as a tall in his primary role though. He was an All Australian midfielder, still mobile enough for that role. Someone like Bowes or Stewart has taken his midfield role.

Our actual structure now is identical to 2022. 3 tall defenders and 3 tall forwards. Many players who roll through midfield. Small forwards who push high up the ground. A few elite ball users in defence.

Your point about Mannagh stands but isn't a huge structural change. He's a pseudo forward/mid in the same way Miers has evolved into an attacking wingman. Look how much these two support stoppages. It's difficult to call them pure forwards.

Losing Selwood, Blicavs and Smith from midfield/wing has made Scott throw the magnets around a bit. Last year the balance was off but now it seems good.

Last edited:
In 2022 Blicavs wasn't playing as a tall in his primary role though. He was an All Australian midfielder, still mobile enough for that role. Someone like Bowes or Stewart has taken his midfield role.

Our actual structure now is identical to 2022. 3 tall defenders and 3 tall forwards. Many players who roll through midfield. Small forwards who push high up the ground. A few elite ball users in defence.
Too few for mine. Kolo and Bewsy are not AFL standard wrt disposal and are guaranteed to turn it over multiple times.

Your point about Mannagh stands but isn't a huge structural change. He's a pseudo forward/mid in the same way Miers has evolved into an attacking wingman. Look how much these two support stoppages. It's difficult to call them pure forwards.

That’s effectively what I said. That Blicavs wasn’t playing as a tall defender - he’s replaced SDK in position.

I understand you don’t watch the Lions coverage every week so perhaps you think it’s just this week but King has campaigned against Fagan so consistently that it’s becoming the news…King clearly has a personal problem with Fagan that is affecting his judgement and his professionalism and Robbo was right to call him out for it

he contorts himself into pretzels to have a targeted crack at Fagan as a coach…when have you ever heard ‘number of top 20 picks’ used as a metric to evaluate a coach?

Why top 20? Why not top 10? Or top 30? Because he’s arbitrarily cherry picking numbers to suit his Fagan vendetta

Scott is a great coach, maybe the best in the game. but King can just say that without making it an attack on Fagan
Can you share any footage or audio where King is displaying this unfounded, unprofessional targeted vendetta attack against Fagan? I'm not exactly saying I don't believe it but, if it's as bad and obvious as you say, there must be plenty of great examples to draw from. There's a lot of inarticulate noise in football commentary (from both the pros and from us on BigFooty). I think this topic is interesting but I'd love to see an example of what you're talking about if it's not too much to ask.

That’s effectively what I said. That Blicavs wasn’t playing as a tall defender - he’s replaced SDK in position.
I thought you were suggesting we have changed the structure. We haven't. Same amount of talls up forward and in defence. This isn't Scott going any more "small ball" than he did in 2022. He has simply replaced a couple of midfielders. Blicavs wasn't able to perform as a midfielder any more.

I thought you were suggesting we have changed the structure. We haven't. Same amount of talls up forward and in defence. This isn't Scott going any more "small ball" than he did in 2022. He has simply replaced a couple of midfielders. Blicavs wasn't able to perform as a midfielder any more.

Nah, just that we are (in height) playing one tall shorter than we were. Setup similar.

Positives and potential negatives. We have less insurance now if Stanley has a ‘mare or an injury. But on the positive side our offensive setup looks more attacking.

Nah, just that we are (in height) playing one tall shorter than we were. Setup similar.

Positives and potential negatives. We have less insurance now if Stanley has a ‘mare or an injury. But on the positive side our offensive setup looks more attacking.
Some things get dictated by age.

Blicavs has been an athletic freak but the agility and reflexes aren't quite there for midfield any more, in the same way Duncan doesn't have the legs for extended stints on the wing.

I actually thought this was putting Blicavs spot in jeopardy, but the move to defence has seen him far more assured.

I agree that we have less height insurance now that we are going without SDK. But injecting run and mobility has saved the season. And I guess they decided they needed at least one lock down small defender. Hopefully Bews over SDK ends up the right call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interested to see the stats but I don't think Kolo is nearly as bad as he used to be on this.

I'm not sure Kolodjashnij has ever really been as bad as he's been made out to be

Here's the 2024 turnover averages filtered by defenders - JK ranks at 153

1726787268585.png

As for Bews - he ranks at 223 with 231 the end of the list

1726787336562.png

If those two are turnover merchants, I'd hate to see how a few others a classified

I cannot see there being a late change with Stewart out, only possibly someone for SDK (if he is actually fit) as a typical Scott selection fake-out.

On the Mullin selection, he must have a specific tagging role assigned to him this week? Doubt he’d be the sub, my guess for that is Duncan.

Be interested to see the stats but I don't think Kolo is nearly as bad as he used to be on this.
Just a lazy fall back - Kolo much better these days, Bews wouldn’t list disposal as his 1-Wood but that’s not why he’s in the team.
Too few for mine. Kolo and Bewsy are not AFL standard wrt disposal and are guaranteed to turn it over multiple times.
QF Kolo had 3 & Bews 1 - for context both JHenry and Humphries had 3 each. Only guarantee is Bews and Kolo’s will be highlighted to suit a narrative.

But if he plays then you surely send someone to him yeah?

L. Neale?

We'd likely playing Atkins against him, especially when he lines up in the guts

Not sure we're going to change our midfield structure to accommodate Mullin matching on Neale

Also thinking Zorko is a more likely match up for Mullin

Can you share any footage or audio where King is displaying this unfounded, unprofessional targeted vendetta attack against Fagan? I'm not exactly saying I don't believe it but, if it's as bad and obvious as you say, there must be plenty of great examples to draw from. There's a lot of inarticulate noise in football commentary (from both the pros and from us on BigFooty). I think this topic is interesting but I'd love to see an example of what you're talking about if it's not too much to ask.

Sure I could but as you have the interest, I’ll let you do the legwork….I mean, I’m not saying your response was passive-aggressive, I’m just saying I wouldn’t dream of denying you the enjoyment of researching a topic you’re so interested in! 😉

First, watch channel 7s qtr time, half time and full time time for recent examples… Dunstall seemed shocked by way he avoided talking about the great Lions second half after absolutely sledging Fagan directly over the poor first half

Then watch the lead up to the GWS game on Fox where he spent much of the week explaining why his constant criticism of Fagan was justified and not personal

Then watch literally every other time that talking potato 🥔 has talked about the Lions this season

Enjoy!

I'm not sure Kolodjashnij has ever really been as bad as he's been made out to be

Here's the 2024 turnover averages filtered by defenders - JK ranks at 153

View attachment 2115404

As for Bews - he ranks at 223 with 231 the end of the list

View attachment 2115406

If those two are turnover merchants, I'd hate to see how a few others a classified
It's the wrong way to look at it as their kicks are so risk averse. KPDs take the safest option possible and Bews mostly chips it or bombs it to a pack.

But if you see the names around either it's not like they're alone. Every team has them. Kolo is only memorable because sometimes he short circuits in finals or in really damaging parts of the field. Then Bews for the odd OOF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back