Preview 2nd Qual Final - Port Adelaide vs Geelong - Friday 7:50

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that in CS's presser today he mentioned Dangerfield had some stomach illness come on in the second half last week against Melbourne. Probably explains why he spent an extended time on the bench in the last.

"stomach illness" aka calf issue!!! Scotty talking out of his ass again i reckon.

"stomach illness" aka calf issue!!! Scotty talking out of his ass again i reckon.
It's been mentioned in a few interviews subsequent to Saturday night that Dangerfield was crook, aka he ate something that didn't agree with him

If it was a calf issue then it would be much more noticeable and would be getting talked about in the media - the fact there's none of that is probably a good indication it's not calf related

I just don't know about this. Is a Duncan who hasn't played a game in 10 weeks better than a Simpson or Holmes?

Duncan has shown he's got the ability to front up after little-to-no preparation and still perform. He's similar to Cameron in that regard.

Was BOG in his return earlier this year, and played round 1 2020 off virtually no pre-season and was BOG there too.

I'll back him in until proven otherwise

Nothing to lose really, wouldnt want to go into an elimination game with him having not played so its worked ok, atleast if we win he will have another couple weeks to rest as he will probably be sore, the result this week is extremely important for us going forward, i reckon we are only going at about 75% at the moment with a few blokes slightly cooked.

Players who come back from longer-term injuries often have a good first game back but pull up rough in the second game as the rust begins to show. Some people say match fitness and match conditioning aren't big factors but just from some of the gamewatching I've done over the years I'd say they matter just as much as anything.

It's been mentioned in a few interviews subsequent to Saturday night that Dangerfield was crook, aka he ate something that didn't agree with him

If it was a calf issue then it would be much more noticeable and would be getting talked about in the media - the fact there's none of that is probably a good indication it's not calf related

Has anyone seen vision of him on the track?

Has anyone seen vision of him on the track?
Has there been any vision of any player out on track this week?

Dangerfield has shared photos of his new boots for the finals, and a family walk he went out on on Sunday - would think if there was any potential muscular injuries that he would have been focused on recovery

Players who come back from longer-term injuries often have a good first game back but pull up rough in the second game as the rust begins to show. Some people say match fitness and match conditioning aren't big factors but just from some of the gamewatching I've done over the years I'd say they matter just as much as anything.
Miers had a shocker first up. I hope he improves on that this week.

My team - no hope of happening because the MC considers Kolo and Dahlhaus undroppable (unsure why). Same for Higgins (he has been okay the last month but far from setting the world on fire and lacks physicality at times).

Miers is best 22. Keep him close to goals as much as possible.

O'Connor likely to start on Boak, have him off HB to fit him in.

Holmes very good last week, offers something already. Stays in. Ease Duncan in off the bench.

Love Simpson's class, gets the nod as last man in but Narkle has to be the sub IMO.

B: Bews, Henderson, Henry
HB: O’Connor, Blicavs, Atkins
C: I.Smith, C.Guthrie, Menegola
HF: Higgins, Cameron, Rohan
F: Close, Hawkins, Miers

Foll: Stanley, Dangerfield, Selwood

Int: Parfitt, Holmes, Duncan, Simpson

Sub: Narkle

Emg: Kolodjashnij, Dahlhaus, Z. Guthrie/Ratugolea

Really like this side.

While I understand Scott and the MC’s thinking with Dahl, the opportunity cost of little scoreboard impact/threat outweighs the benefit that we get from pressure acts. Kolo is a little more borderline and is hard to drop given Blitz’ rucking, but is a weakness. But - no chance of either being dropped.

Shame that Holmes can’t kick for goal because even now he could be a finals ‘X Factor’. Probably goes out for Duncan. Simpson is probably the other one who misses (depending on fitness of Danger and Meirs).

edit - if Tuohy is fit must play but as the injury is a hammy need to err on side of caution.

Last edited:
Wonder if duncan will float around the backline this week, we desperately need some good ball users coming out of defence.
No way. Our issue has never been stopping teams from scoring enough points to give ourselves a chance, it's always been making the most of our F50 entries. We need him at half forward delivering the ball to Hawk, Cameron and Rohan. The 2016 PF we had 72 inside 50s to 40, yet lost by 37 points. 72 inside 50s for 8 goals 12 behinds 20 scoring shots. Putrid! We need to be having one scoring shot for every 2 inside 50s if we want to have a chance of winning any final. (Conversely the swans had 22 scoring shots from 40 inside 50s).

Selection has often been our weak link in finals since 2011. Hope we don't fall for the 3 card trick this week with Mitch coming back. Port run over teams, and Mitch will not be firing at the end of the game - maybe his knee is a good excuse to sub him off for Holmes later in the game? Worried about those selections wanting Mitch, Higgins and Sav in for 3 of our runners - we go too slow and lose a lot of running power. So, its a real tricky one for the match committee, who every year for the last 9 have been our worse performers in the finals. We need them to be at genius level for this series - come on selectors - LIFT

Port didn’t run over us last time we played them over there. And that was with a bigger crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CS not in a talkative mood this week in his press conference! I'm taking that as a good sign, along with the fact that apparently Duncan has been ready to go for a few weeks now and has been "running for 50 days". Sounds like he and Higgins will be the ins. A small chance Sav comes in, but unlikely particularly if Georgeadis out leaves them with a shorter lineup. I'd guess Holmes will be the out and maybe Simpson. My preference would be to omit Kolo. It'd be hard on Jake, but I just think the balance of shut-down and attacking backline players needs to be re-jigged with Stewart out. Starting to get pumped! but might just be because radio is blaring 'Eye of the Tiger' next door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way. Our issue has never been stopping teams from scoring enough points to give ourselves a chance, it's always been making the most of our F50 entries. We need him at half forward delivering the ball to Hawk, Cameron and Rohan. The 2016 PF we had 72 inside 50s to 40, yet lost by 37 points. 72 inside 50s for 8 goals 12 behinds 20 scoring shots. Putrid! We need to be having one scoring shot for every 2 inside 50s if we want to have a chance of winning any final. (Conversely the swans had 22 scoring shots from 40 inside 50s).
That's a very Geelong-circa-2016 kind of problem though. Last few years we've really improved our f50 entries and scoring conversion. I think Duncan will play a crucial role, especially with Stewart out, whether that's around hb or more through the midfield. His ball-use will be critical.

CS not in a talkative mood this week in his press conference! I'm taking that as a good sign, along with the fact that apparently Duncan has been ready to go for a few weeks now and has been "running for 50 days". Sounds like he and Higgins will be the ins. A small chance Sav comes in, but unlikely particularly if Georgeadis out leaves them with a shorter lineup. I'd guess Holmes will be the out and maybe Simpson. My preference would be to omit Kolo. It'd be hard on Jake, but I just think the balance of shut-down and attacking backline players needs to be re-jigged with Stewart out. Starting to get pumped! but might just be because radio is blaring 'Eye of the Tiger' next door.

When was the last time Kolo was dropped? No chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the calf thing arose due to him stretching out cramp at one point - likely caused by a lack of fluids from his illness.

Wonder if duncan will float around the backline this week, we desperately need some good ball users coming out of defence.
Oh hell no.
Duncan is shocking with decision making out of defence.

I said weeks ago I was worried about Duncan coming good during finals because we will have to play him.
Let's see how it pans out. If he only plays 55% then it might work.

Oh hell no.
Duncan is shocking with decision making out of defence.

I said weeks ago I was worried about Duncan coming good during finals because we will have to play him.
Let's see how it pans out. If he only plays 55% then it might work.
Huh?

You make it sound like it's a bad thing that a genome genuine best 22, if not best dozen players at the club is fit and available to play finals

Huh?

You make it sound like it's a bad thing that a genome genuine best 22, if not best dozen players at the club is fit and available to play finals
Come on. I didn't say that.
He may be healthy. I seriously doubt he's fit. Hence the 55% suggestion.

Scott said today Duncan has been running for 50 days, could have played a week or two ago, and was essentially held back to ensure no longer-term problems with his knee.

He'll be lacking match fitness, but it sounds like he's 100% physically good to go.

You said "I said weeks ago I was worried about Duncan coming good during finals because we will have to play him." - that sounds like a suggestion it's not ideal that Duncan is deemed fit & ready to play

Since he has been deemed fit, I'd be surprised if he plays less than 75% and think it's more likely he'll push 80%. From his 10 matches this season, only 4 times did he play less than 80% of the match and 2 of those he was injured

Doubt he'll be selected if his game time is going to be severely restricted

Scott said today Duncan has been running for 50 days, could have played a week or two ago, and was essentially held back to ensure no longer-term problems with his knee.

He'll be lacking match fitness, but it sounds like he's 100% physically good to go.
Sounds like parking him at half forward is a no brainer then.

Kingy on Podcast says Duncan could have played last week - HE is ready to go full out this week - he wont be managed this week. For what thats worth.

GO Catters

Dunc coming back is huge news. Also good that it's a 'definite' rather than 'touch and go.' Reckon both he and Hawk will be stoked he's playing in Hawk's 300th - given just how incredible his delivery into forward 50 is.

Make no mistake, he's easily the ball user in our team, and we have absolutely burnt our forward 50 entries in recent weeks. Having Dunc to deliver, will make such a difference

Yeah i think everyone ( supporters included ) has got a spring their step with Duncan back in this week - no substitute for class

And you make an excellent point - re his short passes to Hawkins . He has fed Hawkins like Billy Goggin fed Doug Wade

Id love to know how many goals Hawkins has kicked - the direct result from a Duncan pass - it would be alot . And in quite a few of those cases - Duncans 50 metres out ( and he is such a beautiful and accurate kick ) he could have just kicked the ball straight over Hawkins head for the goal himself

Not being over confident ( because it can bite you on the aarse ) but ideal scenario Frid night would be - the Cats a mile in front at 3qtr time - and they sub Mitch off - hah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back