Preview 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Friday 9th October, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Tigers

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 55 51.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You don't just rank your best 22 players on the list and pick them."

Sorry as I specified, that's exactly what I was doing - - I was ranking the players who

A - have not played very often this season and

B - would give you the best "heart on sleeve 100% finals style" commitment.

Now if you ask me who I think will get selected on Friday night its pretty straight forward. Battle Marsh and Savage (if Long is suspended).

But if you put a line through Battle then it represents such a major change to our previous set ups and will then depend on how much Ratts trusts the existing players to adapt and how he wants to approach the game given the outs.

We went short against WC and Ratts said the reason we lost was not purely because of the Carlisle omission it was because the backs didn't play as they were instructed.

So we may go short again and try and run and gun in which case Savage/Hind may get a run, they may go next best tall defender so Robbo comes in, they may try to stack the midfield a bit more in which case Dunstan will play, we may go left field and play Abbott, they may even go - jeez maybe a moment of individual brilliance will win it for us - in which case Parker may get a run.

So in short - if Battle isn't fit, I've got no idea who else will come in.
Of course Ratten would say that but it was a mistake. The fact we threw Battle back at half time and brought Carlisle in the following week proved Ratten thought the same.

We may well be forced to play smaller if Battle doesn't get up, but Dunstan makes little sense.

He may try harder than everyone else but there is little room for him in the midfield and he can't play any other role well.

This isn't how I remember Webster, although granted it's been quite a while now. I remember him being as tough as the come, very dour defender, good versatile size, good speed, decent intercept mark, elite tackling and (most of the time) kicking. Kind of like Gilbert with a better kick. I never thought he was a star, but he was a unanimous best 22 player before the injury troubles came along.

Looking at our best players now at other clubs from that era doesn't say much about him.

This was his highlight for 2018 as a reminder, Coffield would have more highlights in a quarter.

I rate Webster as a player but if I had to choose out of him and Savage to replace Long I'd probably go with Savage as I think he's a safer, more dependable option.

Webster has had a long injury layoff and hasn't played at AFL level in ages so there are question marks on his match fitness and durability while Savage has played AFL this year and has been training with the team all year so should be able to fit in more seamlessly than Webster and is less likely to get injured. Savage also has more versatility as he can push forward and kick goals plus he has finals experience from his time at Hawthorn.

We may not even have to make that choice though if Long gets off with his appeal but I'm not counting on that being successful.

Could take a while 🙄

ihrw9MM.jpg
Outstanding work Dr!

I rate Webster as a player but if I had to choose out of him and Savage to replace Long I'd probably go with Savage as I think he's a safer, more dependable option.

Webster has had a long injury layoff and hasn't played at AFL level in ages so there are question marks on his match fitness and durability while Savage has played AFL this year and has been training with the team all year so should be able to fit in more seamlessly than Webster and is less likely to get injured. Savage also has more versatility as he can push forward and kick goals plus he has finals experience from his time at Hawthorn.

We may not even have to make that choice though if Long gets off with his appeal but I'm not counting on that being successful.
While I'm a big JWeb fan from the outside Savage would be the safer option to come in for Long. Both players at their best id pick JWeb tho and only the club will be seeing how he is going with training, scratch matches and simulation, etc.

I'm happy were appealing Long's suspension. Should only be a fine. But chances of the suspension being overturned I thjnk would be very slim

Of course Ratten would say that but it was a mistake. The fact we threw Battle back at half time and brought Carlisle in the following week proved Ratten thought the same.

We may well be forced to play smaller if Battle doesn't get up, but Dunstan makes little sense.

He may try harder than everyone else but there is little room for him in the midfield and he can't play any other role well.
Ha ha - so the coach lied and only you know it - and that's the "proof" of your argument. Yep OK - can't argue against that logic.

As for Dunstan - well the AA selection team seem to make way for the mids on the HF line.

I think I'd prefer Hannebery, Steele, Dunstan rotating through the mid/forward line than including Hind on his current outputs ( 7 possessions and 0.2 goals a game for his last 5 outings).

In fact I'd prefer Dunstan playing as a full time half forward than playing Hind.

Ha ha - so the coach lied and only you know it - and that's the "proof" of your argument. Yep OK - can't argue against that logic.

As for Dunstan - well the AA selection team seem to make way for the mids on the HF line.

I think I'd prefer Hannebery, Steele, Dunstan rotating through the mid/forward line than including Hind on his current outputs ( 7 possessions and 0.2 goals a game for his last 5 outings).

In fact I'd prefer Dunstan playing as a full time half forward than playing Hind.
Yeah. It was pretty clear to most. If not, why would he put Battle back at half time, and why would he bring Carlisle in the following week?

Dunstan as a half forward flanker sounds gross to me.

Using the AA side to justify your argument is funny. First of all, Dunstan isn't an AA and he's not got the same qualities as Dangerfield, Martin or Bont.

I’d be very surprised if they brought Dunstan in. He was dropped, not because Of effort or stats, but because of his putrid ball use, which is something you cannot carry in finals. Not to mention he’s played 1 game and a couple of scratch matches and been injured most of the year.
I know a lot on here love him for wearing his heart on his sleeve, but If I’m coach I’m not bringing an extra mid in unless it’s gresham.

Battle and Marsh In for mine and Savage if Long misses. Marsh only because of versatility and the fact he’s played half a dozen games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best football is played when we have a tall spine and quick smalls. We have suffered a huge blow losing Ryder and Carlisle but if we replace them with Abbott and Austin we retain that backline with Wilkie the 3rd tall, and Coffield the floating intercept player and in the forward line Abbott can take pressure off King and take a turn in the ruck. Give 2 blokes who are fit and ready their opportunity. Don't try and cobble something together with Roberton and Marsh.

Message to the fans from Paddy...❤
Channel 7 saying the Dromana drive in might play the GF. Imagine that if the state opens up. It would be huge especially if the saints get there.

I wouldn’t get too excited. Even if we did make it I can’t see Dan letting us go there. They’re already talking about not dropping the 5km rule.

Gears was interviewed on 3aw just now.
Said Battle was running and looking ok. Will all depend on the training session.

Leigh Matthews was very complimentary about Membrey and the role he is playing up the ground and on the wings.

Gears was interviewed on 3aw just now.
Said Battle was running and looking ok. Will all depend on the training session.

Leigh Matthews was very complimentary about Membrey and the role he is playing up the ground and on the wings.
I wouldnt be surprised if we name Battle and make the decision late.

Roberton would likely be the back up if Battle doesnt get up, and he is experienced enough to handle the late call up.

Yeah. It was pretty clear to most. If not, why would he put Battle back at half time, and why would he bring Carlisle in the following week?

Dunstan as a half forward flanker sounds gross to me.

Using the AA side to justify your argument is funny. First of all, Dunstan isn't an AA and he's not got the same qualities as Dangerfield, Martin or Bont.
OK - I'll get in early then - in the unlikely event that we lose on Friday it will be because DMac and Alibakis didn't play. You can then try and prove me wrong!!!!

As for Dunstan, AA and the hff - so is Hind as good as Dangerfield?

Nope - so the question is whether rotating an additional mid through the hff will produce a better outcome than the 7 possessions and 0.2 goals that Hind is contributing.

Regardless of whether Long and Battle play, we can do this. Paddy didn't play in our Rd 4 win over Richmond - he was a late "withdrawal" replaced by a small fast forward (Kent) because that's how Ratts saw us beating them, with speed not height. Marshall can ruck alone so I expect Ratts to bring in a fast small to replace Ryder, possibly Hind or Parker. He'll need a tall to replace Carlisle though and that's where he might get inventive. As for Long's replacement, Savage is a no brainer. Richmond, make no mistake, are already discounting us and plotting revenge against Brisbane. We can do this

Our best football is played when we have a tall spine and quick smalls. We have suffered a huge blow losing Ryder and Carlisle but if we replace them with Abbott and Austin we retain that backline with Wilkie the 3rd tall, and Coffield the floating intercept player and in the forward line Abbott can take pressure off King and take a turn in the ruck. Give 2 blokes who are fit and ready their opportunity. Don't try and cobble something together with Roberton and Marsh.

Replacing Ryder with Abbott is like replacing a Rolls Royce with a Datsun 180B, I'd prefer to go with Battle/Marsh as a 3rd tall forward with Marshall rucking solo.

OK - I'll get in early then - in the unlikely event that we lose on Friday it will be because DMac and Alibakis didn't play. You can then try and prove me wrong!!!!

As for Dunstan, AA and the hff - so is Hind as good as Dangerfield?

Nope - so the question is whether rotating an additional mid through the hff will produce a better outcome than the 7 possessions and 0.2 goals that Hind is contributing.
I don't understand what you are even talking about with McKenzie and Albania now.

Think it’ll be: Battle and Marsh
If Battle isn’t fit: Abbott and Hind

Savage for Long if he doesn’t get off
Any combination including Abbot, Hind & Marsh is pretty dire... those guys put up some of the most insipid efforts we’ve seen this year.

Would much rather role the dice on Roberton, Savage and Bytel/Dunstan types personally... their good to poo ratio is much higher.

Message to the fans from Paddy...❤

I wouldn’t get too excited. Even if we did make it I can’t see Dan letting us go there. They’re already talking about not dropping the 5km rule.

If the Saints get in I might have to try my luck with the fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back