2nd Test: Australia v South Africa, Port Elizabeth, February 20-24th

Remove this Banner Ad

for me it would be marsh out, but its probably a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other

Either one is fine in my view. Marsh probably has a few more credits after his hundred setting the game up. Doolan made 89 but it was in relatively easy conditions.

Either one is fine in my view. Marsh probably has a few more credits after his hundred setting the game up. Doolan made 89 but it was in relatively easy conditions.
Wasn't marsh's ton on the same pitch in the same game?

1st innings though- when setting the game up! Doolan was in the 2nd dig.
That's a common view, but I think 2nd innings runs are just as important, many times games have been 'set up' only to be pissed away due to poor second innings batting.
Remember test matches are played over two innings and both are equally important.

I'll continue to feel sick unless I see some nice weather in Port Elizabeth today.

Still can't work out the Rogers run out. What was there to achieve by taking a risky single to get a tailender on strike? Block the over out yourself FFS!

Disgraceful for us to lose 9 wickets in a session. An embarrassment.:rolleyes:

It continues the theme, that teams are heroes at home and villains away.
Oh this is absolute rubbish. We beat South Africa in typical SA conditions, so they went subcontinent style on us. It's still 1-1 with the no. 1 team in the world. That is not villainy in my eyes.

I'll continue to feel sick unless I see some nice weather in Port Elizabeth today.

Still can't work out the Rogers run out. What was there to achieve by taking a risky single to get a tailender on strike? Block the over out yourself FFS!
I think Rogers is very low on the point the finger list, he actually applied himself and performed admirably.
He made his mistake long after the rot had set in

Oh this is absolute rubbish. We beat South Africa in typical SA conditions, so they went subcontinent style on us. It's still 1-1 with the no. 1 team in the world. That is not villainy in my eyes.
It's not rubbish. That collapse was a disgrace and embarrassment. After we put on 126 for the first wicket ffs. :rolleyes:

As to the subcontinental comment, well we have to be smarter. They assessed the pitch and played the conditions brilliantly. We thought we could just bat the same way. We got totally and utterly outplanned and outplayed.

I think Rogers is very low on the point the finger list, he actually applied himself and performed admirably.
He made his mistake long after the rot had set in
It is certainly not Rogers' fault. He was great, but the run out was one of the more bizarre things you'll see. Surely the guy on 100 can block out the last over?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not rubbish. That collapse was a disgrace and embarrassment. After we put on 126 for the first wicket ffs. :rolleyes:

As to the subcontinental comment, well we have to be smarter. They assessed the pitch and played the conditions brilliantly. We thought we could just bat the same way. We got totally and utterly outplanned and outplayed.
I think SA have figured us out, put us on a pitch that is not conducive for MJ and they score plenty of runs and our brittle lineup can't handle it

It is certainly not Rogers' fault. He was great, but the run out was one of the more bizarre things you'll see. Surely the guy on 100 can block out the last over?

There were 3 overs left I believe.
I'm guessing the logic was to change ends so that Siddle would get to face the partimer and he could face Steyn/Phillander.

If he had done it later that over Duminy would just bowl wide of off and force him into a very low percentage shot so he decided to go early and to back Siddle to see off Duminy.

But having already made the decision to get the single he made the mistake of not judging the run on its merits.

I think SA have figured us out, put us on a pitch that is not conducive for MJ and they score plenty of runs and our brittle lineup can't handle it
They were prepared to knuckle down and grind. Which is what the pitch dictated basically.

If we had done the same, things probably would have been different.

As I said, we've got to be smarter. I'm not confident though - dumb seems to be hallmark of our batting these days.

There were 3 overs left I believe.
I'm guessing the logic was to change ends so that Siddle would get to face the partimer and he could face Steyn/Phillander.

If he had done it later that over Duminy would just bowl wide of off and force him into a very low percentage shot so he decided to go early and to back Siddle to see off Duminy.

But having already made the decision to get the single he made the mistake of not judging the run on its merits.
Ah, that's a bit different then. I thought one of the news reports stated that it was the first ball of the last over. Must have been wrong.

Still don't know how we f***** it up after going to bed at 1-141. Memories of Durham.

They were prepared to knuckle down and grind. Which is what the pitch dictated basically.

If we had done the same, things probably would have been different.

As I said, we've got to be smarter. I'm not confident though - dumb seems to be hallmark of our batting these days.

Not so much "dumb", but more attuned to free scoring thanks to a steady diet of the truncated game. Unless they are scoring every 2nd or 3rd ball, they seem confused. When the time comes to just occupy the crease and steady the ship, they are either unwilling or unable to do it.

Not so much "dumb", but more attuned to free scoring thanks to a steady diet of the truncated game. Unless they are scoring every 2nd or 3rd ball, they seem confused. When the time comes to just occupy the crease and steady the ship, they are either unwilling or unable to do it.
I was a little worried when after the first innings, Boof described the Aus rr as good. He is encouraging the free flowing attacking game but i would have thought a little caution on that pitch might have been in order.

if we won the toss on this pitch we wouldn't have been 5/214 at stumps i can tell you that.

Maybe 2 in 10 we are 4 or 5/300 the other 8 we would have been bowled out inside the first day, boof and clarke both seem to have that down as our way to play at all times but they had better find some bigger guns soon or give up on the dream of getting back to the top as this approach(with our current talent) won't work often unless it's at home vs ordinary teams.

Did you read the comment I responded to? I was referring to the part where he said we were "villains away"...not proven at all by this series.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa, Port Elizabeth, February 20-24th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back