Past #3: Brady Rawlings - drafted in 1998 w/ #15 - 245 games & 3 Syds - NMFC list manager!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not Brady's biggest fan, but credit to him - he tagged Peter Bell out of the game when we played Fremantle at Princes Park in the pre-season, and deserves to have first crack at Mr Moneybags on Sunday. Hope he pulls up ok.

Hi guys,

Roos are beginning to hit a bit of form. Huge game against the Hawks coming up - should be a bumber crowd!!

Watt - Rawlings - Cochrane

Can someone please fill me in on the roles of the three above mentioned players. All have been at the club for at least three years, and it's time they made an impact.

Cheers

Shack

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by shack
Hi guys,

Roos are beginning to hit a bit of form. Huge game against the Hawks coming up - should be a bumber crowd!!

Can someone please fill me in on the roles of the three above mentioned players. All have been at the club for at least three years, and it's time they made an impact.

Cheers

Shack

Watt - probably being groomed as the full back after Martyn, but I'm not sure he is ready to fully assume the mantle just yet. Is getting there, but at this stage of his career doesn't have the presence or intimidating stature of Martyn. That will all come in due course, and he should be a capable replacement. Good skills, reads the play better than Martyn (never one of Mick's strong points), but would like to see him play more physically.. deck a few blokes and make his presence felt, let the experienced forwards know that he is not a kid thrown in at the deep end.

Rawlings - did well yesterday, but probably needs to fine tune his disposal a bit. Has a similar skinny build to guys like Tuck and Blakey, and have each played 330+ games, so maybe he is a late developer. Needs to bulk up big time and get more time on the ground to get experience.
Doesn't get enough of the ball to be a front line onballer at this stage, maybe that will improve if and when he bulks up.
Both watt and rawlings are underused, so their 20-30 games of experience is probably closer to 8-10 games of significant game time.

Cochrane - this guy confuses me. At no stage looked like anything resembling a footballer until this year. His disposal is awful, but has kicked a few long goals this year. Go figure. Looked slow and unco last year, this year has shown a turn of speed on several occasions. Still a fringe player at best, but that's a hell of a lot better than last year. Seems to have found a specific role each week, tagging an opposition on-baller every week, and has done well at this task. Would like to see his size used more; he is 6'2 and 14 stone so a defensive role against a Hamill-Hickmott-Dixon-Bruce type of decoy forward would be interesting as the undersized Blakey and Archer have often done these jobs in the past. Colbert can also do this, but if Cochrane did it then Colbert could be used up forward when needed.

Has his attitude changed? Have his skill deficiencies been worked on over the summer? Can he finally see now that he has ditched the Joey Ramone hairstyle? And I wonder... still I wonder....

Darky has just probably nailed it, heres my thoughts anyway.

Watt - Only 20, 2 cm taller than mick but 5 or 6 kilo's lighter. Will gain more strength over the next 12 months. Has good pace but as Darky says needs to show some presence. Who better to learn from than Mick.

Rawlings - was drafted as a 17 year old and is still only 19. Has shown he can play. Has good pace, needs to bulk up. Is a bit maligned, much like Simpson early on.

Cochrane - One area he has improved this year is his tackling and seems to be finding his role as a tagger. Is deceptively tall, 189cm and has good pace. Make or break year and so far has done enough to keep his name on the list next year. Will need to keep it going though.

Time to play him from first bounce. His desperation and leg speed is exactly what we need. McLaren also should get a little more time.
Get rid of Clayton, please! He costs us more games than helps us win. A bit harsh I know but something must be done.
Prepare for no Jase or Mick next week.:(

Diggers said post match that Pagan removed him because he was blowing some wind. Fitness?

Can't figure Clayton out. A couple of weeks ago he was really good. Yesterday:mad:

Originally posted by Moti.com
..... Prepare for no Jase or Mick next week.:(

Mick, yeah because he is still injured.

McCartney?

Surely you're not suggesting he's gonna get rubbed out for hitting Crawford?

He did make contact with the ball first, and I think this cannot be overlooked.

Then again, we don't seem to have any margin for error at the Tribunal, so you may be right.

Let's hope not.

How good was it watching Crawford go off? He can be so dangerous.....Macca was trying to spoil so there should be no worries.

Brady was sensational. Best game he has played for us so far. He and Diggers should get another game next week. Stevo.....unbelievable.

diggers was taken off due too match fitness i heard and having too step up too the next level took it out of him. Great effort u pr0n star.

It was on AW tonight that they said he hadn't been sighted. Shouldn't have been either, I was right behind it and it was a definate attempt to spoil. It was nothing like the 99 incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by choppy
I was right behind it and it was a definate attempt to spoil. It was nothing like the 99 incident.

He shouldn't have been sited for the '99 incident either.....after all, Clarke Keating's nose has a freakishly large size.....had Keating had a normal sized nose, Jason would've lined up in the Grand Final.

a shame josh francou is nt playing. Macca would collect his fat head. Good to see that Francou and Adam Kingsley arent playin.

Originally posted by choppy
Diggers said post match that Pagan removed him because he was blowing some wind. Fitness?

Its just Pagan's way. He never seems to want the youngsters get too big headed. If he has issues with blowing wind, then maybe he ought to have taken Spider off at the beginning of the last quarter. Boy does that fella huff & puff.

SEASON: Best so far, and fairly consistent. Has shown that he can be a very good player. Played as a wingman early and then played as a tagging foward for a bit with pretty good effect. Was looking great against Collingwood until bloody Freeborn hit him.
FUTURE: He goes in hard, is starting to look for shorter options and is in the top 5 in our club at evading the opposition. Expect to be on the ground for entire games more often next year and I would think even time in the centre square is warranted. More body mass will enhance his game. Talk has been Hawthorn want him. I wonder what we could ask for?
POSITION: Ready made wingman, also ruck roving role.

Im a big wrap for this kid. Must remember he's only 20.

I think we might be able to develop him into a half forward flanker who can kick 1-2 goals a match and then be able to play on the wing for a bit of the match. I wouldn't want to throw him in the middle just yet. Perhaps in 3-4 years after Stevo has retired.

I've been impressed with Brady since I watched him train a few times in the pre-season. He works hard, has pace and plenty of footy "smarts".
He's very young but has shown glimpses of a future 150+ gamer. He's also shown good improvement over the year.

It's interesting to note that most people on this board rate him - I thought I'd be in the minority.
I hope we don't trade him !

I'm not as optomistic as everyone, but he took a step this year and definitely deserves another year.

He needs more upper body strength and be more consistent over four quarters. Only young, but does tend to drift in and out of games. I hope the wraps on him are correct.

I'm a fan.
He's pacy and he knows how to find the ball. I feel he will eventually become a top class winger.

Needs to keep working on upper body strength, although this has greatly improved (he will always be wirey rather than big, of course) and needs to put in lots of work on his kicking, which will improve with confidence.

Keep keep keep (unless Hawthorn offer Jon Hay!;) )

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #3: Brady Rawlings - drafted in 1998 w/ #15 - 245 games & 3 Syds - NMFC list manager!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back