Past #3: Brady Rawlings - drafted in 1998 w/ #15 - 245 games & 3 Syds - NMFC list manager!

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I was the only one here who thinks he has a future. Maybe I have been listening to Darky to much;) Needs to pump the weights over summer and apart from getting his head knocked in, he looks like a bloke who will never get injured ala Tuck and Blakey. Skinny rangy piece of wire.

I like him as a footballer. I would not trade him.

I've changed my opinion on this bloke a few times.When I first saw him in 99 I thought he could play.Went backwards in 2000 but seems to have improved this year.He looks a far better player when given some decent time in the midfield.I agree about his footy brain, that was the first thing that struck me about him.Now all he has to do is get the old feet to sent the ball where the brain wants to, have a few decent meals and locate the weights room over pre season and we could have ourselves a player.
Would definately keep unless another club wants him a part of a decent trade.

I dunno about this guy. I'm not sure if he has been carrying injuries or what, but given the amount of opportunities that were available this year, the timing was right for Brady to put his hand up - which he didn't. I expect him to be offered as a trade.

Terrible disposal, and Sunday's game was the first time he actually got his hands on the footy a bit. Needless to say, he did not ONCE hit a target (check a replay for yourselves).

This guy might well go on to play 150 games for us, but David Mensch has played that many for Geelong without ever looking like a footballer, and Shane Clayton will probably get there too.

Ok, so the general consensus is that he is good except he needs to work on his consistency, physique and disposal. Isn't that just about everything?

And Moti - "ready made wingman"???? 8 possessions a game, mostly ineffective, and he is ready made? For what exactly?

I know the club will give him at least one more year to prove his worth, but I would offload Rawlings while he is still regarded as a young talent (ie- before other clubs realise he is crap).

hi there,

brady rawlings is a funny player. he looks like he has the ability to play seniors, but unfortunately he doesnt seem to be part of denis's rebuilding plans.

this frustrates me, because i have seen him play some outstanding reserve games.

why doesnt denis develop brady into a back pocket type?

he has skills, pace, and is disciplined and courageous.

he also knows how to crumb packs

i think he would be ideal on a resting rover, or ruck rover in a forward pocket or half back flank.

however my only query, would be his overhead marking ability. but that isnt really a pre requisite to play on a resting on-baller

who would he replace?

personally, i am not a big fan of troy makepeace.

and i would rather see david king having an impact up the ground and having a rest on the bench.

would brady fit into our backline?

Rawlings looks to have everything. The times I have seen him at training he has looked like there is no player at the club that he can't dominate. He has it all, fitness, speed and skills-wise but it is a huge concern that he hasn't consolidated a regular senior spot. I agree with others that hopefully he is similar to Jade in that he takes a bit longer than normal to come through.

Moomba

Originally posted by moomba
Rawlings looks to have everything.
Except a body! I know certain body types just dont develop muscle (Dean Laidley being one) but he looks like he hasnt gained any since the day he debuted.

I doubt very seriously that he has the presence or one on one strength to be a servicable backline player. He seemed to go ok last year as a small forward up at half forward and working down into space. I think he has the skills necessary to fulfill a role like this, as long as he discovers some confidence when in possession.

He seems to have the right instincts, but like so many on our list, things start going wrong when the brain comes into play.

By the way Moomba, did you go to training last night? If so, you might wanna reply to Malibu's thread thats been hanging there like something out of a Winnie Abraham highlights tape!!

I don't know what to make of Rawlings. He will be kept on the list, and given one more year to cement a spot in the ones me thinks.

As a side note: What the hell were MR and Mrs Rawlings (or brother and sister, as they are from Tassie) thinking when they were naming their kids?

Jade :eek: ...and....Brady :confused: ?

NorthBhoy now waits patiently for the inevitable "My name is Jade" or "I named my son Brady".

Originally posted by Carlos

Moomba, did you go to training last night? If so, you might wanna reply to Malibu's thread thats been hanging there like something out of a Winnie Abraham highlights tape!!

No, I was planning to go tonight. Malibu's thread saved me the trip. Oh well.

Moomba

I thought Brady was going to be alright and why he hasn't cracked it for a game this year has got me beat.

Half forward line would suit him more then back pocket though.

Can't play em all I guess but if he stands out in MKs then maybe he will get another run in the 1ns

I reckon that they are working on the defensive aspects of his game - he seems to have been given some stopping roles in the last couple of weeks.

I also think they are making him earn his next call up - this has happened to a few promising players in the past (how many BOG's did Stuey have to get a couple of years back before finally getting another chance?)

Don't think he's far off a spot, though - crops up in the emergencies regularly (along with Petrie!) Interesting to see if he'll get back in before Jess or Joey - similar type games.

if he were to play a back pocket role similar to the role that makepeace plays (woefully i might add) i'd be very happy to have him in the team.....he strikes me as very similar to phillip matera though...he might be able to play as a wanganeen type player no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the thing that i like about rawlings is that he looks so angry when he gets put on the bench. the boy really wants to play. once he gets his skill level up i think he is a shot at being a decent player. i hope he gets a go soon.

I'm a bit of a Rawlings fan, I think that the game against Collingwood last year before he was ko'd we began to see what he is capable of. I have said it many times before as well, look at his birth date. We have a lot of people on this forum talking up our rookies when Bradey is still 2 years younger than them. Players need time to develop, some more than others and he is one. Much the same as Daniel Pratt, they were taken so young don,t expect them to be ready overnight. Brady will make it either in the middle of this year or cement a regular spot next year as other players retire.

the thing people don't realise is that brady is still only 20 years old , and was drafted very young, and we probally think he should be a little bit better than he is because he was thrown in at senior level when he was only 18

but the facts are he is the same age as dylan smith , daniel harris and daniel motlop , but we have a different perception of those players than we do of brady , i say we give him a little more time to mature

Originally posted by stevo10
I'm a bit of a Rawlings fan, I think that the game against Collingwood last year before he was ko'd we began to see what he is capable of.

Averaged about 8 touches per game last year, and got plenty of ground time.

In the game you refer to, he had 9 touches in the first 40 minutes or so, but ALL (yes I was paying close attention) were either completely ineffective, or were turnovers.

His disposal in the MKs game against Essendon was much better, and he has played a few decent reserves games over the last couple of seasons, so maybe the gap between the ones and twos is still too big at this stage.

At senior level he always seems to dispose of the ball without thinking, which indicates that if he DOES have skill, he's not using it because he feels rushed at the higehr level.

i think he'll be developed into a very good player.....i couldn't belive that he was only 20 years old as well...and judging by his performance in the ressies, i think he will be part of our rebuilding phase....he's very good front and centre and yes his control can suffer under pressure, but that's natural for rookies....he'll grow in stature in the next year or so, and i expect that he'll come into our team for cochrane as a tagger maybe

Originally posted by Darky

Averaged about 8 touches per game last year, and got plenty of ground time.

In the game you refer to, he had 9 touches in the first 40 minutes or so, but ALL (yes I was paying close attention) were either completely ineffective, or were turnovers.

His disposal in the MKs game against Essendon was much better, and he has played a few decent reserves games over the last couple of seasons, so maybe the gap between the ones and twos is still too big at this stage.

At senior level he always seems to dispose of the ball without thinking, which indicates that if he DOES have skill, he's not using it because he feels rushed at the higehr level.

While he did get ground time. Brady was usually assigned to the opposition's key running backman. That suggests he was usually asked to play a negative role, even though he was placed in the forward line.
And yes my main concern with Brady is his disoposal. I hope he can develop, but apart from not looking big, he is not strong either. Dean Laidley was skinny but strong. But yes he is only young, being a 17 yo draftee.

He is like mostb youngsters, he needs time to grow into a role at senior level, something Denis seems scared to do.

Danny Motlop is one of the only players he will give a decent go to due to amazing natural talent. Brady and the other young guys should be getting more of a consistent turn on the ground if they are good enough to get there. He will be very good, and his overhead marking is actually pretty good.

Originally posted by Carlos

Except a body! I know certain body types just dont develop muscle (Dean Laidley being one) but he looks like he hasnt gained any since the day he debuted.
QUOTE]

I think Brady is bigger than he looks.
Listed at 181cm and 77kg, I think he is taller. Wouldn't suprise me if he was 6' - 6' 1" (about Adam Simpson's size) and is pretty muscled up across the chest. He is no "Arnie" but I don't think his lack of bulk is stopping him from making the grade.

Seeing him on TV, his skills looked rather solid (even on his left).
I think his problem is he loses composure with the ball in the qucker tempo of senior footy. In time that might come.
So IMO he deserves another year after this one to prove himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #3: Brady Rawlings - drafted in 1998 w/ #15 - 245 games & 3 Syds - NMFC list manager!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back