3 Other Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

These two stick out in my mind - whether the various rumours over the years have been true or not, there is no denying that the players DO respond to Harvey in a way I'm not sure we've seen before at Freo. The discipline thing is definitely more public - hopefully it applies on-field as well and leads to a bit more consistency

I really don't see that.

He failed to drop Farmer after the Burswood incident. No matter how people look at it (or choose to ignore it) this compromised his position as a strict disciplinarian.

A few weeks later a bunch of senior players got on the turps and were late/no shows for a session. That is hardly evidence that they afraid to step out of line.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter an ounce if you hire Harvey or Worsfold or Mathews or Chuck Norris as a coach, players are going to be young men and run amok every now and then publicly or privately.

It's time people realised that Harvey is human. He has been a little inconsistent with discipline so far and the squad haven't been angels since he took reins. Hopefully he turns out to be a great coach, but assuming already is because looks/acts kinda tough is ridiculous.

I really don't see that.

He failed to drop Farmer after the Burswood incident. No matter how people look at it (or choose to ignore it) this compromised his position as a strict disciplinarian.

A few weeks later a bunch of senior players got on the turps and were late/no shows for a session. That is hardly evidence that they afraid to step out of line.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter an ounce if you hire Harvey or Worsfold or Mathews or Chuck Norris as a coach, players are going to be young men and run amok every now and then publicly or privately.

It's time people realised that Harvey is human. He has been a little inconsistent with discipline so far and the squad haven't been angels since he took reins. Hopefully he turns out to be a great coach, but assuming already is because looks/acts kinda tough is ridiculous.

Bradley, Mark Johnson, a fit Schammer and Browne, Ibbotson, Hinkley, Foster, Obrien, Mourish and Drum.. Try test Harves patience now.Your spot will be gone. We got hungry players waiting in the wings.
Harves hadn't had the squad for a pre-season as head coach last year. Connolly's rules and ethics were the mindset. Hell , Harves hadn't even decided if he was going to coach us in '08 when all the indiscretions were happening.
He's decided to coach us now.He gets to lay the ground rules this year, the sign on the door says so!.

I'm certainly not guaranteeing a swag of premierships, but they have a very exciting list going forward.

They certainly do. I think I'm just a little jealous of their list. Our's is fine, but I do admire Tassie's list. There fade out in last years final was a concern. If they evolve into their potential (which has been our problem) they will deficate on more than a few teams for a few seasons.

I really don't see that.

...so Roundy, why do you get offended if people want to view Harvey in a positive light?
I don't think any here are really delududing themselves.
It would be more that we have a new coach accompanied with a new coaching regieme and most of us are little excited and happy to enjoy the optimism and renewed hope a few changes bring to what was otherwise a crap season in 2007.
Yes Harvey is human, we all are.... except for maybe Chuck Norris, who you mentioned there. If he was our coach I think Roundhouse Kick related suspensions would skyrocket up %400 per season.

...so Roundy, why do you get offended if people want to view Harvey in a positive light?
It would be more that we have a new coach accompanied with a new coaching regieme and most of us are little excited and happy to enjoy the optimism and renewed hope a few changes bring to what was otherwise a crap season in 2007.
Yes Harvey is human, we all are.... except for maybe Chuck Norris, who you mentioned there. If he was our coach I think Roundhouse Kick related suspensions would skyrocket up %400 per season.

I just get bemused by people continually saying that Harvey is the strictest coach we have ever had, as far disciplining players goes.

To me the Farmer non-punishment is a glaring contradiction to this that everybody seems to ignore.

I just get bemused by people continually saying that Harvey is the strictest coach we have ever had, as far disciplining players goes.

To me the Farmer non-punishment is a glaring contradiction to this that everybody seems to ignore.

You keep going on about it but it's not valid. Farmer was punished but just not by suspension. A very wise choice IMO. Suspension for 12 weeks did not help Jeff but severely hurt the team. A different form of punishment was required.

You keep going on about it but it's not valid. Farmer was punished but just not by suspension. A very wise choice IMO. Suspension for 12 weeks did not help Jeff but severely hurt the team. A different form of punishment was required.

So he punished with stern words as opposed to stern words and a lengthy (and costly in terms of lost match payments) suspension.

I know which one is harsher and it isn't the one handed down by the new, supposedly stricter, regime.

It's debatable whether letting Famer off easy was the right to do or not (especially in light of his latest rumoured indiscretion), but the fact that his non-suspension punishment under Harvey was softer than the six week suspension handed down by Connolly is pretty hard to dispute.

From my understanding from interviews with Rick Hart, it was the board that was behind the 12 game suspension not Connolly. It was probably the decision that lost Connolly his coaching job.

So he punished with stern words as opposed to stern words and a lengthy (and costly in terms of lost match payments) suspension.

I know which one is harsher and it isn't the one handed down by the new, supposedly stricter, regime.

It's debatable whether letting Famer off easy was the right to do or not (especially in light of his latest rumoured indiscretion), but the fact that his non-suspension punishment under Harvey was softer than the six week suspension handed down by Connolly is pretty hard to dispute.

C'mon Roundy, stern words my ass, You know he was fined heavily. Club imposed suspensions are counter productive. We get unfairly hammered by the MRP as it is, why help the VFL any more than we should.

The six week suspension was decided by the board, not Connolly.

Harvey was always going to coach us, it was just a matter of time.

Not quite right should read Harvey was always going to coach us to a flag,it was just a matter of time.Well that time has arrived so sit back and enjoy.

That was the problem IMO. His tactics were good, but at the end of '98 we still had a very poor list.

Neesham was the cause of the Dockers having to play catch up all the time in relation to developing there own team and not always recruiting for today but for the future..

He recruited a lot of ex Claremont Players who knew his game plan and wanted success straught away instead of developing a team ...

He also sacked Bell after one year and thought Andrew Mcleod was arrogant and didnt recuit him... It cost us a lot to get him back and Andrew Mcleods still playing and achieved a hell of a lot .. anyhow in saying that hes done a good job at Clontarf from all reports and at Claremont in developing teams of his own...

Good Luck Harvs you are the Man....

It would be more that we have a new coach accompanied with a new coaching regieme and most of us are little excited and happy to enjoy the optimism and renewed hope a few changes bring to what was otherwise a crap season in 2007. QUOTE]

The post is about the fact that Harvey coaching ability is one of the biggest questions we face, and discussing that is not about optimism or pessimism.

Harvey was not as strict in his reaction to Farmer as previously, which is clear.

Players play for Harvey? Perhaps. Just as lkely they played better for other reasons, such as they played for Connolly, or played because their futures suddenly became more fluid.

He may say that he doesn't coach through the media, but he has barely had to confront them yet as he has not been a senior coach. All just questions at this stage, and he will be judged by his win/loss record, and ability to make and coach in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

3 Other Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back