Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

By far the best player interview conducted this year.

Comes across as genuine and shows a desire to improve himself and the team. Need more like him.
That's leadership mate.

Constantly challenging your team mates (and just as importantly himself) to get better and be accountable.

That's the type of attitude Luke Hodge would've had after a loss like that. Lets hope to buggery he stays healthy as I'm sure Clarko puts stuff like that in the memory bank for future leadership roles.

Chalk and cheese beginning and end. Question is why. My sense was that first half, a little at sea trying to follow the system. Second half was more just **** it, grab the ball, take the option. Not sure if he was let off the leash, or game was over and just played more on instinct, or if in imagining the whole dynamic, but when he started looking good, god I want to see that dynamism in the forward half. Hope the move back is rewarding for all concerned but I wish he was up front.

Went from totally lost to a real presence in the space a 3 quarters.

Looked like a bloke playing with no instinct in the first half, maybe Clarko told him at half time to just play instinctive footy and forget the structure stuff since the game was well cooked?

If he can show more of the second half Charlie and stay on the park, we might have a partner for Logue which means Kallan Dawson can play as the third tall and we can **** off that shit campaigner Corr.

Also means that Will Dawson doesn’t get thrown to the wolves before being ready.

He was dejected. Love it when players hurt like we do, it means something to them.

The laughing and tapping the opposition players on the arse squad after a 10 goal drubbing can GAGF.
I'm old school and yes I hate it too, never once playing footy in Tassie did I ever do that after a loss, shook hands after the game and was dejected and so disappointed that I couldn't wait for Monday at training where I would train even harder because I hated losing but if you look at all the sides these days they all do this, I guess they all know each other, so have a quick laugh and talk about whatever and so on, so as much as I hate it, lets at least give our boys some slack in that regard, because unfortunately its the norm.

He was dejected. Love it when players hurt like we do, it means something to them.

The laughing and tapping the opposition players on the arse squad after a 10 goal drubbing can GAGF.
I would love the coach to do something about it. Lose and laugh after the siren: you’re playing 2s next week.

Something needs to be done stop the normalisation of losing every week.

Went from totally lost to a real presence in the space a 3 quarters.

Looked like a bloke playing with no instinct in the first half, maybe Clarko told him at half time to just play instinctive footy and forget the structure stuff since the game was well cooked?

If he can show more of the second half Charlie and stay on the park, we might have a partner for Logue which means Kallan Dawson can play as the third tall and we can * off that s**t campaigner Corr.

Also means that Will Dawson doesn’t get thrown to the wolves before being ready.
B: Archer Logue Dawson
HB: Sheezel Comben Hardeman (Dawson 7th Defender)

I would love for us to be aiming for the above defence. Can we go back to playing actually defensively capable players on the back half?

I would love for us to be aiming for the above defence. Can we go back to playing actually defensively capable players on the back half?
I have to agree. It’s turning ugly because put simply we are trying to cram too many round pegs into a square hole.

As good as the Sheezel to half back move worked last year, has it given the coaches some false sense that it can work for every player?

Over the summer we are told that we are turning Fisher, Scott, McKercher, Comben, George all into defenders.

Why wouldn’t we just draft or trade for defenders if that is the case? It’s not like these guys have failed in their preferred positions and a shift to defence is the last chance to make a go of it.

Who knows in the long run it may be a master stroke, but right now it seems more of a mess and out of balance with too many defenders that are more attacking than defensive minded.

Great to see Chom have a good game. We DESPERATELY need him to have a good season.
Ideally, he has a ripper 2024 and we name him captain leading in to 2025. I know that’s fairytale stuff, but that would be ideal. He appears to be a natural leader who could lead by example.

Great to see Chom have a good game. We DESPERATELY need him to have a good season.
Ideally, he has a ripper 2024 and we name him captain leading in to 2025. I know that’s fairytale stuff, but that would be ideal. He appears to be a natural leader who could lead by example.
I’d see more than 5 games in a row as a major achievement for this bloke, so let’s get that ticked off first.

You’ve named a defensive 6 of which 4 guys have played 20 games between them. You’re better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he grew into the game and seemed to be more confident in his intercept marking in the 2nd half. Could see him play this role until Logue returns and then switch forward to give Larkey some relief.

Comben and Logue could be a nice long term backline combination. Charlie isn’t great kick for goal. Backline is very suitable to his strengths. Could be a great move for him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

take the positives where you can get them. Comben looks to have locked a spot in defence and the move has worked.
The mongrel in him makes him a great defensive player.
Totally agree. And I think this is where we are at right now just sorting out gaps in the team.

If all we do in the first half of the year is find our most balanced team on field it will be an important step forwards:

KPD posts sorted
Lockdown defenders included
Work out who should be the relief ruck
Find a second tall to compete in the forward line
Work out best mix for midfield - defense / offense

Midfield mix may need insert Greenwood / Simpkin / McDonald / Zurharr - none of which look like the answer at the moment but could complement our young group and should be fit and strong enough to play four quarters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back