Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

The experiment isn’t over. He got a good match up on the weekend, and it was still only a short burst where he dominated.

I think it will depend on how W.Dawson comes on and who we draft this year, as to whether chom plays forward or back.

It might also depend how well Archer and Goater progress. I think Clarko likes his medium defenders who play tall.

Unsure if anyone mentioned it but IIRC Clarko in the prematch on Fox footy said they will experiment with both Logue & Comben at different times in the forward half for the back end of the season.

It’s probably match up dependant, i.e. when we play Cats next week, I’d say Comben stays forward, stretch their undersized defence and have Logue or even potentially Archer on Cameron. Probably give Comben a run against Richmond and West Coast as a forward. Then send him back against the Dogs on Darcy, and probably forward against Hawks.

W Dawson I think will stay forward in the VFL to see what we have with him up forward and assess in preseason depending on who we get in.

I think the better question is what if he averages 2-3 goals a game and the rest of the forward line increase their averages across the board.
If we can absorb a 20% drop in intercept marks, then the overall benefit of having not only a forward structure but one that threatens teams, then it will be worth it.

I do believe that he will be a better individual player down back and could get AA as soon as 2025. However, he may be more important up forward if he is releasing Teaks and Larks and crashing packs for our crumbers to capitalise on.

The discussion is moot really because our mids can’t yet be relied upon to win the ball consistently for 70-75% of the match.

If we can absorb a 20% drop in intercept marks, then the overall benefit of having not only a forward structure but one that threatens teams, then it will be worth it.

I do believe that he will be a better individual player down back and could get AA as soon as 2025. However, he may be more important up forward if he is releasing Teaks and Larks and crashing packs for our crumbers to capitalise on.

The discussion is moot really because our mids can’t yet be relied upon to win the ball consistently for 70-75% of the match.

Bold is basically my thinking. He may very well be a 10 out of 10 defender and a slightly lower rated KPF when all is said and done but that doesn't mean his value to the team might not be greater forward.

oh fyi and fwiw Maj took 50% more contested marks in 2019 than Comben has taken in 2024.
So yeah interceptor V predator.
And when one wants to chat about players leading in any particular skillset, one must consider how often the ball goes in there.
It isn't that difficult , we sit first for opponent inside fifties and last for our inside fifties.
Geebus has Nostra got a new account FMD, FML and FFS.

Fancy suggesting Maj just had a year out and may not have delivered again like xxxxxx , crikey.

LOL stop the shite.

Charlie Comben​

After losing Ben McKay to Essendon through free agency last year and with Griffin Logue sidelined for most of 2024, the Kangaroos needed someone to step up in defence, and Comben has answered the call. After an unlucky run with injury, Comben, who started his career as a forward, has played 15 games this year and developed nicely in defence. He is sixth in the League for intercept marks and equal 18th for contested marks. In Sunday's loss to Carlton, Comben returned to the forward line and kicked three goals. The Roos have shown some good signs in the second half of the year, with Comben and Tristan Xerri, who has stepped up in the ruck, part of the reasons why. – Dejan Kalinic

Well that was a good listen on the wireless ( SEN)

The Corn , saying we've found ourselves a partner for Larkey and suggesting that a decent CHF outweighs an intercepting back.

Adding Dermie say Charlie has CHF written all over him, is a huge Comben fan, and of course has Hawk ties, so wasn't surprising the Hawks were into Charlie.

And to top off a great listen they mentioned that Magoo is a below average one on one defender.

The Corn was flabbergasted , not sure why unless he doesn't watch many games involving Magoo.

Sunny days ahead.

The thing I love about Charlie is his intensity in every contest where he butters up and applies pressure if the ball hits the deck. Split a pack, butter up, rinse, repeat. That's invaluable as a big man and even more so in the forward 50. Essentially another pressure forward that stops shit pinging back out. If Corr maintains form with The Bear back on the park, I can see him playing the season out forward.

The thing I love about Charlie is his intensity in every contest where he butters up and applies pressure if the ball hits the deck. Split a pack, butter up, rinse, repeat. That's invaluable as a big man and even more so in the forward 50. Essentially another pressure forward that stops shit pinging back out. If Corr maintains form with The Bear back on the park, I can see him playing the season out forward.
He provides forward pressure at a level similar to a jet small forward. I see Waite level forward pressure in him and IMO Waite when at his best for us was just about the best in the business for a couple of years. If he can do that and snag the odd bag of goals IDGAF who has to play in the backline. If we can slot a super aggressive skilled small forward in that half of the ground is sorted for a few years and we can bed it in.

He provides forward pressure at a level similar to a jet small forward. I see Waite level forward pressure in him and IMO Waite when at his best for us was just about the best in the business for a couple of years. If he can do that and snag the odd bag of goals IDGAF who has to play in the backline. If we can slot a super aggressive skilled small forward in that half of the ground is sorted for a few years and we can bed it in.
As we know, forward line pressure makes our defenders' jobs so much easier

Charlie has been the player who has excited me the most this season, whether forward or back his improvement has been spectacular, and I think his willingness to put his body on the line despite the injuries he has battled through in the last 3/4 years not only makes him a bit of a fan favourite but also a real star of the future.

Forward or back? Clarkson hails breakout Roo's flexibility

Forward or back? Clarkson hails breakout Roo's flexibility​

Alastair Clarkson is in no rush to settle Charlie Comben into a permanent key position
By AAP
Just now
19CaNM24DT052039203.jpg

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson is happy to keep swinging versatile tall Charlie Comben to either end of the ground.

The Kangaroos are in no rush to settle the 23-year-old into a permanent key position down back or up forward.

During a breakout season, Comben has been a shining light for North playing as a key defender the club has been searching for.

But last Sunday against Carlton, the 199cm prospect pushed forward and kicked three goals.

Drafted in 2019 after playing forward for much of his junior career, Comben has suffered numerous injury setbacks before becoming a permanent member of North's rebuild.

"It will just depend on what the team requires, what's the match-up with the opposition," Clarkson said this week.

"What we'd love to be able to have is Charlie to have the flexibility to go from one end to the other just depending on what happens from the opposition one day to the next.

"He'll settle at centre half-back or centre half-forward at some point in time, but just at the moment it's just too early for us to predict which one it's going to be."
Comben's progress has pleased Clarkson, with questions about North's defensive stocks ahead of this season.

"It doesn't surprise anyone within the footy club what his capabilities are, but perhaps to the outside world because most of the outside world just judge players on what they can produce on game day," Clarkson said.

"It was just a matter of having the durability to get out there week-to-week and that's what he's been able to show now to the whole football world.

"It's a little bit of a surprise, but it's not to us."

Comben will loom large in North's clash with Geelong at Blundstone Arena in Hobart on Saturday.

The Cats are coming off a humbling 47-point defeat at home to the Western Bulldogs, halting the momentum they had trying to push for a top-four finish.

Former first-round draft picks Jaidyn Stephenson, Zane Duursma and Will Phillips all return for North, while Colby McKercher, Zac Fisher and Eddie Ford will miss due to injury.

Charlie has been the player who has excited me the most this season, whether forward or back his improvement has been spectacular, and I think his willingness to put his body on the line despite the injuries he has battled through in the last 3/4 years not only makes him a bit of a fan favourite but also a real star of the future.

Forward or back? Clarkson hails breakout Roo's flexibility

Forward or back? Clarkson hails breakout Roo's flexibility​

Alastair Clarkson is in no rush to settle Charlie Comben into a permanent key position
By AAP
Just now
19CaNM24DT052039203.jpg

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson is happy to keep swinging versatile tall Charlie Comben to either end of the ground.

The Kangaroos are in no rush to settle the 23-year-old into a permanent key position down back or up forward.

During a breakout season, Comben has been a shining light for North playing as a key defender the club has been searching for.

But last Sunday against Carlton, the 199cm prospect pushed forward and kicked three goals.

Drafted in 2019 after playing forward for much of his junior career, Comben has suffered numerous injury setbacks before becoming a permanent member of North's rebuild.

"It will just depend on what the team requires, what's the match-up with the opposition," Clarkson said this week.

"What we'd love to be able to have is Charlie to have the flexibility to go from one end to the other just depending on what happens from the opposition one day to the next.

"He'll settle at centre half-back or centre half-forward at some point in time, but just at the moment it's just too early for us to predict which one it's going to be."
Comben's progress has pleased Clarkson, with questions about North's defensive stocks ahead of this season.

"It doesn't surprise anyone within the footy club what his capabilities are, but perhaps to the outside world because most of the outside world just judge players on what they can produce on game day," Clarkson said.

"It was just a matter of having the durability to get out there week-to-week and that's what he's been able to show now to the whole football world.

"It's a little bit of a surprise, but it's not to us."

Comben will loom large in North's clash with Geelong at Blundstone Arena in Hobart on Saturday.

The Cats are coming off a humbling 47-point defeat at home to the Western Bulldogs, halting the momentum they had trying to push for a top-four finish.

Former first-round draft picks Jaidyn Stephenson, Zane Duursma and Will Phillips all return for North, while Colby McKercher, Zac Fisher and Eddie Ford will miss due to injury.

I love Charlie too but if all it takes to write articles about footy players is that then why can't my pet cat do it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a chance.

5 disposals with 0.0 on the scoreboard today.

We need him to have so much more of an impact than that. And he showed he can do it in defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back