AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy - Rd 22 Rising Star nom nom nom! ⭐ - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things:

1. He’s really honest in the air. His attack on the footy is unconditional.

2. He’s got wheels. The last goal where he holding the pill in one mitt and sidesteps the Carlton player….he’s a powerful mover.

He’s fun to watch…you want to see him the footy in his hands.

I didn't think there was room for him initially but now I've realised clubs have figured us out a bit, they are putting lesser defenders on 2mp and really working Lang over which only really leaves Jones who isn't quite there yet, caddys ground ball efforts give him another string too. But draper coming back might complicate matters.

I didn't watch the whole game against Carlton VFL, it was more on in the background.

I did see most of the good stuff he did and it was very impressive.

I'm starting to buy into the hype.
I think the hype is right on. We still need to be patient and let him develop. The temptation to get him in is there but with his style of game he could open himself up to some impact injuries. Another pre season in the the gym and he will be a beast.

Good to hear, this is the one reasonably consistent knock I’ve had on his game. But if that can be trained out of him - great sign.

Could be a function of height, at junior levels the defenders aren't as big so if he's a little under the ball and reaching up and back to mark it maybe he got away with it.

At VFL, and AFL the defenders get taller and stronger, so you can't get away with that. Especially if you're a little undersized, he can't be giving defenders easy access to spoil.

Could be a function of height, at junior levels the defenders aren't as big so if he's a little under the ball and reaching up and back to mark it maybe he got away with it.

At VFL, and AFL the defenders get taller and stronger, so you can't get away with that. Especially if you're a little undersized, he can't be giving defenders easy access to spoil.

Defenders are more adept at running/nudging you under the ball too, a safer way of spoiling

For sure.

Jones used to (and still does, although not quite as bad) do a similar thing. He’ll run at a contest, basically get to the drop point too early, and jump pretty much straight upwards, making it a lot easier for a defender to spoil.

I had/have fears of Caddy doing something similar - but Caddy does look to have a bit more to his game as well.

Caddy gives unconditional effort when flying for the ball in the air, it’s what we’ve been missing for years. Height is often overrated when judging key forward, give me ability to attack the ball in the air any day of the week.
I preface this by saying I hate the process of player comparisons always being to star players - puts way too much expectation in supporters heads, and then when players don’t reach that level their disappointed.

Having said that - Charlie Curnow is the body shape, and potentially in turn the type of player, Caddy should be looking to emulate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy gives unconditional effort when flying for the ball in the air, it’s what we’ve been missing for years. Height is often overrated when judging key forward, give me ability to attack the ball in the air any day of the week.
Also think the height argument is kind of a moot point when it comes to Caddy because his arms are so damn long. There's the potential that he's still growing, Oscar Allen (who he reminds me so much of) was drafted at 191cm and ended up at 196cm.

I preface this by saying I hate the process of player comparisons always being to star players - puts way too much expectation in supporters heads, and then when players don’t reach that level their disappointed.

Having said that - Charlie Curnow is the body shape, and potentially in turn the type of player, Caddy should be looking to emulate.

Reckon that's Jed Walter, caddy seems more like a Jack Riewoldt to me

This is the most human post ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy - Rd 22 Rising Star nom nom nom! ⭐ - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back