AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes mindset is self fulfilling.

Seems if leading and close we still have mindset of don't be the one to stuff it it up as opposed to be a reason for winning.

Good result. A win would've wall papered over some serious cracks. This Essendon team is nowhere near it.

Cox
Menzie
Laverde
Kelly
Heppell
Goldstein
Shiel
Hind
Wanganeen

Move these players on. Either not up to it, or not going to be part of any future success. Ok to keep Hind as depth, don't mind him too much, but the rest can gtfo. Stringer 1 year only to play as sub. He'll only ever be a 1qtr impact player from here on in.

Persist with Caddy and Roberts, see what Tsatas actually has at AFL level (not as sub) play Hayes & El-Hawli as well. Time to fix this sh!t once and for all, sick of it..

Last edited:
Even with this loss, I thought we played alright. The season felt over already a few matches ago.
Gold Coast are just one of those teams that match up pretty well to us.
Draper to me plays fwd. 2mp just can't take a mark or kick goals enough.
The team kicking into 50 is so awful. Mckay and Laverde must have competitions on worst disposal howlers.
Still another year, more games time, I think we will get better.

To what crumber?

Wright has been off all year, very plainly.

Wright is where you get your structure, he simply must play, he’s everything that Draper isn’t, he’s a dead eye, he’s predictable with his patterns and he gets to a boatload more contests.

Langford is now the structural lynchpin of the forward line, which is hurting his output as well.

Good on Draper for pulling his finger out but he shouldn’t be there as the second ruckman.

Wright plays, Perkins plays instead of Menzie for some connection going forward and Setterfield sits on Rowell in the middle to let Caldwell go hunting and the game isn’t even almost close.

There was nothing surer after we wasted a few chances

Even into the last minute I just knew it was going to happen, was just waiting to find out how

It really is for the best. No point scraping into the 8 with this team.

We were actually ok tonight, particularly last quarter. We lack class but the effort and intensity was there. It’s hard to ask players to be more talented or mature than they are. I’m satisfied if they work hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright is where you get your structure, he simply must play, he’s everything that Draper isn’t, he’s a dead eye, he’s predictable with his patterns and he gets to a boatload more contests.

Langford is now the structural lynchpin of the forward line, which is hurting his output as well.

Good on Draper for pulling his finger out but he shouldn’t be there as the second ruckman.

Wright plays, Perkins plays instead of Menzie for some connection going forward and Setterfield sits on Rowell in the middle to let Caldwell go hunting and the game isn’t even almost close.

Oh dear

Because dropping easy marks and not having a presence really works. Have a look at the VFL today .

There was nothing surer after we wasted a few chances

Even into the last minute I just knew it was going to happen, was just waiting to find out how

It really is for the best. No point scraping into the 8 with this team.

We were actually ok tonight, particularly last quarter. We lack class but the effort and intensity was there. It’s hard to ask players to be more talented or mature than they are. I’m satisfied if they work hard.

Agree on effort and intensity. Just not enough skilful or smart players.

The lack of footy IQ shows up as the team often plays its best when desperate or the underdog but when in a strong position it overthinks it and comes unstuck - I think this is one of the reasons we don't put away teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back