AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

what did that ******* brad scott say in the presser? aint watching it
Was clearly miffed and biting his tongue and has realised the samurai sword is coming out and some of our vets, experienced players and young kids who aren't up for it, are past it or are useless are about to lose their heads as we need winners who know how to win and not smug softclock losers

One thing that is really obvious is how poorly we set up around the contest . It is a dogs breakfast and it is no wonder when we flick out a quick handball it gets turned over as there is simply not structure or positioning. How many times do we handball to a spot where there should be someone but they are too close to the contest or have just drifted into the traffic.

One thing that is really obvious is how poorly we set up around the contest . It is a dogs breakfast and it is no wonder when we flick out a quick handball it gets turned over as there is simply not structure or positioning. How many times do we handball to a spot where there should be someone but they are too close to the contest or have just drifted into the traffic.
Structure and positioning in the midfield was lacking in general for mine. Same old bugbears of players jogging laconically through the middle of the ground and not keeping their structure once the ball gets past the half forward line. You get some pressure on the ball carrier or play held up, then a bomb kick into the 50 that advantages nobody and then a quick rebound for the opposition all the way to the other end of the ground nearly every time.

And that last kick to Mac Andrew - he never should have had a paddock in front of him like that when we've got 18 players behind the ball.

Because dropping easy marks and not having a presence really works. Have a look at the VFL today .

Wright does 15ks a game, gets to squillions more contests, doesn’t get beat in the air any more than anyone else, has actual forward craft and kicks missiles.

You bemoan single effort players constantly, Draper is barely that. He’s conning everyone on the basis of pulling rabbits out of a hat occasionally.

After roughly 11 years of viewing this forum as a guest (I reckon it was post the mid-year win vs the Blues in 2013), I decided to sign up post the Adelaide loss to express some thoughts on what I witnessed. I was thwarted having to wait for the Admin to approve my registration (which is a good rule), but thought I would jump on this evening.

We can debate the quality of the list and coaching indefinitely, but the frustration is we had a real opportunity in 2024 to significantly overachieve, and over the last 5 weeks we have lost to 4 teams that are not better than us (Considering the Dees were without Gawn and Petracca), including 2 games vs Interstate teams on our home track. I think this has proven, our list as a collective do not have the mental fortitude to be an above average or even elite team. We can debate the talent and the coaching until the cows come home, however if you don't have the mental intangibles it makes most things redundant.

Overall I will look back at our 2024 as a real disappointment, I wasn't sure how we we would go this year in the build up, but we have won 11.5 games out of 21 and it never really felt like we hit our stride or were playing really well for multiple weeks at a time. We had halves, quarters and periods of quality football but for the most part have Laboured through our wins (Eagles x2, Saints, Tigers wins in particular). Our ability to continue to shoot ourselves in the foot this season and tonight in particular has been actually impressive, and we have had too many players who would be disappointed by their outputs this season (Ridley, Redman, Langford, Perkins, Parish) through a combination of injures and or form.

Therefore Its time to take a step backwards and put our faith in Vozzo and Rosa to construct a quality list that has the talent and mental attributes in order to challenge at the pointy end of of the comp. We need to be strong and resolute with this approach and make the tough calls that are necessary in order to potentially build a premiership winning squad.
I hate saying it, but next year a number of teams who have missed the 8 (Gold Coast, Adelaide, Melbourne, Collingwood, even potentially North), will be targeting to be significantly better than they were in 2024, therefore it is time for us to take a step-back, and aggressively re-build before Tasmania come into the comp.

In 2025 I would like to see Caddy, Hayes, Reid (hopefully), Roberts, Kako, Our other first rounder (hopefully), Tsatas, Perkins (I am still a believer in his talent) and Bryan all get significant game time. The infamous "Days Since" is counting up, and I believe it will hit 8,000. However if we are not ruthless and make the tough decisions now we will continue to stumble along to 10,000 and longer.

Supporting this club is exhausting and the only good thing this club has is a loyal strong supporter base, I pray one day we can get back to the elite... One Day Hopefully

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright does 15ks a game, gets to squillions more contests, doesn’t get beat in the air any more than anyone else, has actual forward craft and kicks missiles.

You bemoan single effort players constantly, Draper is barely that. He’s conning everyone on the basis of pulling rabbits out of a hat occasionally.
Have you seen me pumping up Drapers tyres ?
Could not care less that Wright runs 15km. Has no physical impact . Is that slow that everyone runs off him out of defense. And again I will say watch the VFL today. He was playing against young kids and still dropping easy marks. And I challenge his actual forward craft . He often drags his defender into contests .
Seriously . Some of his efforts in the VFL the last two weeks have been very average.
Being maybe the best of two bad options is hardly inspiring.

We are a deeply unserious club.

I reckon internally it hit me only tonight - what’s the killer? We look back on the umpteenth end to a year like this in the last 20, and we find ourselves asking “is there an overwhelming reason why this has happened this year? Is there abundant reason to expect different next year?”

The answer is basically always no if we are being honest, and that sucks. We are stuck perpetually treading water and I reckon no one internally at the club, let alone us clueless bozos in the outer, have the foggiest as to why.

There’s something ineffable and we have no ****ing clue what it is. And I’m not entirely sure we are serious in finding out what it is either.

It’s perpetual limbo.

We are a deeply unserious club.

I reckon internally it hit me only tonight - what’s the killer? We look back on the umpteenth end to a year like this in the last 20, and we find ourselves asking “is there an overwhelming reason why this has happened this year? Is there abundant reason to expect different next year?”

The answer is basically always no if we are being honest, and that sucks. We are stuck perpetually treading water and I reckon no one internally at the club, let alone us clueless bozos in the outer, have the foggiest as to why.

There’s something ineffable and we have no ****ing clue what it is. And I’m not entirely sure we are serious in finding out what it is either.

It’s perpetual limbo.

It's limbo because we are too scared to be shit.

No coach is going to come in and gut the list (which is needed). They will back themselves to change players, at the end of the day they are coaches. You cant blame them.

But when you are a team of average players, they will always return to that. You get the out of the box performances every now and then so you think there is change, improvement, but then it reverts to what it really is, average. Same thing the other way.
The failure is either not identifying that it's average or deluding yourself that it is improvement.

Everyone is too scared to be bad, to waste the prime of someone like a Merrett. So they chase.
People get seduced by Draper forward, because he kicked 3, almost forgetting the poor forward craft and IQ of his other moments, and they think, "if he could do this every week". But he can't, he never will.
People applaud the McGrath rundown, ignoring the many other instances including shortly preceding that play where he is shrugged off with absolute ease.

We know how to fix this, prime access to high end talent. No matter how it's obtained. Until we get game changers into this club we will be stuck in average and go no where.

It's not human nature to be great. It's human nature to survive, to be average and do what you have to do to get by. That is normal. When you have something good happen, it's the special people that can stay focused and keep paying attention to detail, working to get better and not being satisfied with what they have accomplished.

Nick Saban

mac andrew had kicked 4 goals in his entire career prior to tonight, yet kicks 4 against us, is there anything more essendon than letting a spud have his best game?
hes a ****ing gun and he has played forward twice kicking 4 tonight and 3 last week.

Melbourne have been so ****ed over by not being able to get him.

And that last kick to Mac Andrew - he never should have had a paddock in front of him like that when we've got 18 players behind the ball.
The ball also went to the exact most obvious spot a desperate F50 entry could go to

Separately there were 4 or 5 moments through the night where players refused to hold their ground and mark the ball. Not even go back with the flight, just stand their ground.

Maybe this is part of what’s now ok in the concussion stakes but each instance would have been a droppable offense 20 years ago.

Draper coping it as the whipping boy for losing two contested marks in the last, but people forgetting Bryan also giving up two contested marks to Witts was also a huge reason we lost.

Bryan overall played fine and Draper at least showed some improvement in his forward craft.

Overall the way we played the last quarter wasn’t bad, we continued to attack we held it in our forward half but couldn’t finish the work.

our ladder position is just about where most of us had us pinned, if everything went right we could finish as high as 6th if it didn’t, out of the finals. I still think this season is a step in the right direction, and next year we will be even younger. Long term this loss gets us closer to the top of the draft, which is what we really need.

I really like Archie Roberts his hard nosed approach and especially his tackling as a smaller guy has me excited. We have found one there.

Cox is copping it here but Andrew’s didn’t kick any on him right? And Jackson only kicked two. They are pretty tough match ups for any player. I still think there’s a lot to work on there. He won’t be the tough inside player but has shown some slick hands inside and can play a multiple of positions. As he builds his body he could be anything. Only 22

Caddy looks the part, his hands get to the highest point and his ground level stuff is also great. What a find. I’ll eat my hat if he stays healthy and doesn’t make it to an a grade forward

Caldwell Durham have been huge developments. Been along time since we have seen this level of toughness inside.

Hobbs again showed he is only a midfielder, not a forward. I think posters need to realise you pick a team to win games not your best 22 players.

Other than Merrett we dont really rely on any players over 26. We get a free swipe at kako which is a player of need, and a pick in front of him. Another building year incoming and I’m ready for the ride. Go bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 22: Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back