AFL Player #31: Zach Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

He's obviously very talented, but he can't last 10 games at VFL level littlelone AFL.

Not sure why you do with the kid.

And…

AND …

I traded him into my SuperCoach team this week because a guy with his talent and performing so well in the vfl will be back in the firsts soon. (Yeah, I know… kinda dumb as he’s not even playing but it was a slow down grade option week in the back line).

Jokes aside, really hope he sticks with it. Super talent. Shit luck. Getting him back up and running will be massive for him and the EFC.

Anyone doing the "trade / his body won't stand up thing" believes in fate a lot more than I do.

This is obviously nobody's idea of fun but an injury like this is bad luck, not a sign of a chronically messed up body. I would be worried it was back / OP / hamstring / stress fracture in foot / ACL.

Last edited:
On the one hand, a pec is quite random and not really able to be tied to the other injuries he has had.

On the other, i dont know how much bad injury luck one body can take. I really hope it isnt season ending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone doing the "trade / his body won't stand up thing" believes in fate a lot more than I do.

This is obviously nobody's idea of fun but an injury like this is bad luck, not a sign of a chronically messed up body. I would be worried it was back / OP / hamstring / stress fracture in foot / ACL.

The concern, however, is at his age and career stage he has missed so much development time.

Yes the injuries themselves may not be the recurring type, however this is the fourth year in a row, from ages 18 to 22, that he just cannot get a clear run at it. It’s crucial time when he should be building up his body, his confidence and his experience at senior level. Figuring the game out.

You just can’t do that without game time.

On top of that he would have less than zero confidence in his body which is not good for an AFL footballer.

It puts him so far behind the eight ball compared to what could have been. He won’t truly recover and make up the time for years.

The concern, however, is at his age and career stage he has missed so much development time.

Yes the injuries themselves may not be the recurring type, however this is the fourth year in a row, from ages 18 to 22, that he just cannot get a clear run at it. It’s crucial time when he should be building up his body, his confidence and his experience at senior level. Figuring the game out.

You just can’t do that without game time.

On top of that he would have less than zero confidence in his body which is not good for an AFL footballer.

It puts him so far behind the eight ball compared to what could have been. He won’t truly recover and make up the time for years.
He’s looked pretty assured in the games he’s played this year. It’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the world

Laverde, drafted 2014.

Never played more than 10 games in a single season until 2021, and has rarely missed since then. (9, 9, 5, 7, 10, 6)

I guess we can hold out hope that Reid might be like a Laverde that between physical growth, being really really tall, and shit luck will take a bit longer but might still get there.

Well yes, if you're drafting someone at 24 you'd expect them to be physically ready.

So what’s your point, then?

Reid has still played less than 10 games in his first four seasons (thus far). It is a worry, no matter how you look at it.

Also Rampe was drafted at 22, not 24.

So what’s your point, then?

Reid has still played less than 10 games in his first four seasons (thus far). It is a worry, no matter how you look at it.

Also Rampe was drafted at 22, not 24.

Apologies read it wrong, he was rookie drafted at the end of 2012, debuted 2013.

My point is that not every player has the exact same story. For example, Laverde.

Reid is ruckman sized, so it's even more normal for him to take time as he physically matures.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #31: Zach Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back