AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind it.
A bit gorilla to handle your Hawkins (probably not for much longer), Lynchs, etc.
We seemed to be getting rag-dolled around by the really big/heavy forwards.
Ridley will be able to play an intercept role with freedom.

Hopefully he can be the man who broke the FA comp system, stupid as it is.

He's a very good signing.

Go back and watch his game on Wright. That's the baseline of his game from 2022. Mauling an opponent 1v1 in anything more favourable than a 30/70 against him and dominating the air with contested intercept marks.

Contested intercept marking is the key here. He plays 2 roles because of it. He'll stand most of the opponent's number 1 forwards and still provide elite intercept numbers.

In this regard he is the equivalent, and possibly better than peak Hooker and Carlisle, and a very similar style of player.

We just need to sort out his limitations with ball in hand.

That he and Scott want each other has me thinking we are going to see the best of McKay. The best of McKay is worth every bit of what we are paying him.

6eaaaa0853971f48a4890cf72d4a86e7.300x300x1.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he can be the man who broke the FA comp system, stupid as it is.

He's a very good signing.

Go back and watch his game on Wright. That's the baseline of his game from 2022. Mauling an opponent 1v1 in anything more favourable than a 30/70 against him and dominating the air with contested intercept marks.

Contested intercept marking is the key here. He plays 2 roles because of it. He'll stand most of the opponent's number 1 forwards and still provide elite intercept numbers.

In this regard he is the equivalent, and possibly better than peak Hooker and Carlisle, and a very similar style of player.

We just need to sort out his limitations with ball in hand.

That he and Scott want each other has me thinking we are going to see the best of McKay. The best of McKay is worth every bit of what we are paying him.
Might be the age the big guy is about to hit his straps if the body holds up. Very nice to have a monster down back. Some say he is slow but I thought he moves exceptionally well for a guy that size.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #32: Ben "Buckets" McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back