AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Re-signs on a 2 year deal! Teenage girl fans rejoyce - 30/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus people, this is way OTT.

Right now he's our best small forward. Period. Is that an issue? Yes. However compare him to guys like Lincoln McCarthy, Beau McCreery and Darcy Byrne-Jones of the last couple of years. His numbers stack up well against those guys.

Put him at Brisbane or Port or Sydney and he's a very handy 3rd small forward or flanker. Two years is perfectly acceptable.

Jesus people, this is way OTT.

Right now he's our best small forward. Period. Is that an issue? Yes. However compare him to guys like Lincoln McCarthy, Beau McCreery and Darcy Byrne-Jones of the last couple of years. His numbers stack up well against those guys.

Put him at Brisbane or Port or Sydney and he's a very handy 3rd small forward or flanker. Two years is perfectly acceptable.
My recollection is that he was really good at the start of the year, and fell away after that. Probably ties in with the form of some of the bigger guys, go figure.

My recollection is that he was really good at the start of the year, and fell away after that. Probably ties in with the form of some of the bigger guys, go figure.
he also got injured a couple of times

yeah he didnt quite guel as well with caddy and draper

He does it as well as he possibly could, no question.

Unfortunately having multiple presha small forwards who are below average pace is a bit like having a one legged man in an arse kicking competition.

Maybe the mix of him and Kako together works well, but I'm wincing at the thought of watching him and Menzies together.
You’re underselling him imo. Plus I’m not sure how Menzie being a spud is a Guelfi attribute.

Top Gun Movie GIF

i don't really think the issue is with guelfi's 'numbers' nessecarily per se. it's more that he doesn't function as a small forward in any traditional way. he is slow and a poor runner, in a forward line of slow, poor runners. he kicks goals on occasion but they're rarely classic crumbing type goals. he lets the team down with his inability to cover the ground in defence, albeit he is not the worst for this.

i guess the frustration is that we have committed to another component of a completely ineffectual forward line. he's just a really poor guy to hitch another two years of forward line starts to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far too regularly over commits to tackles and gives up frees for in the back or too high.

You would have thought he was 200cm last night the way he played.

i don't really think he applies much pressure via being quite slow.

he also got injured a couple of times

yeah he didnt quite guel as well with caddy and draper

Some more random comments that mean he shouldn’t have gotten 2 years -

In the warm up to the crows game he did a backward running drill when the rest were side stepping.

Whilst he styles his hair, his hair style is often un-styled.

Often stands at the back of the huddles unless he stands at the front… or in the middle.

Given his injury issues in recent years I am not really excited by two years. I know why the coah likes him. Effort and attack on the footy is not questionable but this should have been a one year extention.

Given his injury issues in recent years I am not really excited by two years. I know why the coah likes him. Effort and attack on the footy is not questionable but this should have been a one year extention.

I am not unhappy with the resigning because I see Guelfi as easily being in the 20-26 range of a contending team.

Two years instead of a one year extension is meh as I assume unless Guelfi falls off a cliff he would have gotten another one year extension as well.

When he is fit he is a handy player for sure. He has a real crack and can turn a game on his own now and then. I like to think Guelfi is sort of the type of player that is your measuring stick. He's about as "bad" as you want your players to be. They say premiership teams are often determined by how bad your bottom few players are, so if he was the bottom it wouldn't be bad. Problem is, he's definitely not the bottom.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Re-signs on a 2 year deal! Teenage girl fans rejoyce - 30/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back