Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade him or delist him when his contract ends.

He is a dud and will not take us to the promised land.

If Amartey was up for trade, how many clubs would be after him? Not many I would've thought.

A lot of footy supporters don't rate him, and to be honest don't think many swans fans do either.

He simply is not a natural footballer when it comes down to it. If it's not on a platter, he can't do anything on the ground nor does he set up many goals either.

At least half the comp would be keen on Amartey if he was available.

Can’t agree with this one.

I don’t think he’d get a game at many clubs.

One good game doesn’t make a player. Just ask Ben Ronke.
He is 25yo key forward who just kicked over 40 goals in a season.

I think the list of clubs that wouldn't be interested in that would be short.

Last edited:
How'd he go in the Grand Final?

He will not win big games off his boot. Neither will McLean.

If we go into finals next year with those two in our forward line, we will have the exact same outcome as this year.
Are we measuring our whole team by their GF performance?

All this hate for Amartey yet he out performed the others.

If Amartey is no good, it says a lot about the rest

Are we measuring our whole team by their GF performance?

All this hate for Amartey yet he out performed the others.

If Amartey is no good, it says a lot about the rest
I was there (unfortunately) and he was definitely putting in. Running hard off the ball, plenty of effort.

We could have had Lockett, Dunstable and Ablett snr in the forward line and the result would've been the same. Our mids stunk it up, couldn't hit the side of a barn door.

I was there (unfortunately) and he was definitely putting in. Running hard off the ball, plenty of effort.

We could have had Lockett, Dunstable and Ablett snr in the forward line and the result would've been the same. Our mids stunk it up, couldn't hit the side of a barn door.
Our forwards were up the ground and Papley was left and Parker who was destroyed by the best back in the AFL

Our forwards were up the ground and Papley was left and Parker who was destroyed by the best back in the AFL

Amartey is no star but not spot on here, even peak Plugger would have struggled with our set up v the Lions

On true bloods they were talking about giving him ago in defence. What do you reckon about that?
Sometimes struggling key forwards work out well in defence. Eg Lobb this year. He's got the physical tools and natural tenacity to tackle and pressure. With a pre-season dedicated in that position there could be some upside?

On true bloods they were talking about giving him ago in defence. What do you reckon about that?
Sometimes struggling key forwards work out well in defence. Eg Lobb this year. He's got the physical tools and natural tenacity to tackle and pressure. With a pre-season dedicated in that position there could be some upside?
He doesn't have the tank to move out of the goal square.

Couldn't give a flying #### about truly swans

If any of the key forwards were suited to playing in defence, it's Logan IMO. Great kicking skills, good tank, and has the type of game that could be well suited to being an interceptor.

McLean is too cumbersome and I think suits the 2nd ruck/forward role perfectly. Amartey I think is improving and we should stick with him at FF.

I'd be quite open to playing Logan in defence from now on TBH. He's improving as a forward but it might just be the making of him as a real player at seniors level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue with Amartey is that out of all the talls, he is the one who I just often think is... not good.

I actually reckon McDonald is quite a skilful player, but his competitiveness and intensity is an issue that can make him look soft, and he owes it to his natural ability to sort this out. And McLean, his limitations are obvious - he is not fast, and he is not mobile. But he has footy smarts and good skills that, at least in the right circumstances, can make up for what his body physically can't.

But Amartey? Sheesh. A lot of his efforts it's like he's never even held a football before. He looks so unco and can have really poor anticipation of the flight of the ball, like he's being introduced to aussie rules for the first time or something. It's baffling, and even more so when you consider the random games once in a blue moon where it all just seems to come together for him.

Glad he's on the list (any talk of trading key forwards is madness considering our dearth of them at the moment), and I don't even mind him being in the best 22, but geez he'd want to get better. And I bloody hope there is more pressure on him to perform next year.

My issue with Amartey is that out of all the talls, he is the one who I just often think is... not good.

I actually reckon McDonald is quite a skilful player, but his competitiveness and intensity is an issue that can make him look soft, and he owes it to his natural ability to sort this out. And McLean, his limitations are obvious - he is not fast, and he is not mobile. But he has footy smarts and good skills that, at least in the right circumstances, can make up for what his body physically can't.

But Amartey? Sheesh. A lot of his efforts it's like he's never even held a football before. He looks so unco and can have really poor anticipation of the flight of the ball, like he's being introduced to aussie rules for the first time or something. It's baffling, and even more so when you consider the random games once in a blue moon where it all just seems to come together for him.

Glad he's on the list (any talk of trading key forwards is madness considering our dearth of them at the moment), and I don't even mind him being in the best 22, but geez he'd want to get better. And I bloody hope there is more pressure on him to perform next year.
I must sound like the proverbial broken record but I keep coming back to development as something we have not been as good as as we think we are.
I really like Amartey and think that he tries very hard every game. His improvement this year has been noticeable after finally getting a full preseason but I wonder who, if anyone, has been teaching him many of the skills of being a KPF. I remember seeing a clip of Dermot Brereton teaching a group how to out position a defender on the lead and thinking that's the sort of thing some of our guys need.
Surely there are people who can come in for a few weeks to run short programs.

Our KPFs are clearly not our strength, though I’d also note that very few KPFs are tearing games apart in today’s game.

I reckon if each of our KPFs can take 2 more contested marks / leading marks per game, then they suddenly look very good as a collective (as they each have other traits that are strong).

I remember the Bulldogs in their 2016 preseason had a group that just focused on fast handballs (ahem throws) and that set them up to move the ball quickly (ahem illegally) and gain an advantage.

I reckon we should get all our rucks, KPFs and KPDs to create a contested marking group, and add an hour to training everyday just on taking contested marks. Over and over and over.

It’s a technical skill, so one that is perfect for practice and repetition to drive improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back