Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Amartey 3.jpg

Joel Amartey
Joel Amartey has shown strong form in the ruck and as a key-position player at both ends of the ground since being drafted to the Sydney Swans as a rookie ahead of season 2018. The Ghanaian-Australian produced arguably his best performance of the 2019 season against Sydney University in Round 6, which saw him collect 42 hit-outs and a goal. In season 2020, he made his AFL debut against Brisbane Lions in Round 17 after producing some strong individual performances in scrimmage matches, and impressed with eight hit-outs and two inside 50.

Joel Amartey
DOB: 02 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #28, 2017 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Gram (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Last edited by a moderator:

He's demonstrated he can do it enough to suggest there's something there.

He won't kick 9 every week but who does but he can kick a few and present most weeks and give us something

Amartey is still early in his career, especially in terms of games played. He has been improving year on year and there is nothing to suggest he's reached his ceiling. I think we need to stick phat. His best is impressive and we're seeing more of it.

I'd tell him the expectation is you ruck & play fwd. Him v Mclean for the fwd/ruck role or someone else. He's not good enough to play as a fwd only.

I don't mind this idea. We need to get rid of one of the three (either by replacing them with someone better or moving to a 2 tall forward set-up). But someone needs to be back-up ruck and it's not going to be Logan. Logan is deserving of his spot - creates a lot of scoring opportunities and, like Amartey, is young and on an upward trajectory. Let McLean and Amartey compete for the ruck/forward position. Or rotate them in and out to manage their loads - whatever works better.

Is he a good athlete though ? Never really showed any real great leap, he may be quick over 4 or 5 minutes

A couple of years ago Kinnear Beatson reported he was fastest at the club over 20 metres. He's good at keeping his balance. He's very creative with his goal kicking. He's not an endurance beast, which might be an issue for him rucking.

Injury pretty much stopped him rucking.

Please explain/elaborate.

Ive watched him since juniors , just hot and cold , cost Sandy Dragons a flag . Would swap him for Tom Lynch as one of my favourite posters text me today , while we are in the window

I suggested Tom Lynch in the trade thread and you laughed at me.

I get all the risks, but I think we should at least be looking at Tom Lynch as a possibility.

What gives?

Most seasons our tall forwards usually have injury issues and interrupted preseasons. So this season was unusually in having Mclean, Amartey and Logan available together all season.

Next season might revert to normal. And only have two of them available for periods of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is such a minuscule difference between them statistically. Joel kicks slightly more goals, but white beats him on a lot of other stuff (including contested marks).
Amartey has kicked 20 more goals and 25 more contested marks than White had after 53 games though.

Amartey has kicked 20 more goals and 25 more contested marks than White had after 53 games though.

Amartey has more goals than Joe Daniher at the same stage of their careers too, maybe he isn't complete crap.

Amartey has more goals than Joe Daniher at the same stage of their careers too, maybe he isn't complete crap.
There's times you watch him - not just the Crows game - and he looks like the biggest, strongest and fastest bloke on the park. It's a cliché but he has all the tools. If he puts it together he can kick 50-60.

There's times you watch him - not just the Crows game - and he looks like the biggest, strongest and fastest bloke on the park. It's a cliché but he has all the tools. If he puts it together he can kick 50-60.

He did it in the prelim . That's all we need , playing in front bring it to deck, follow up and pressure.

I think he is one we have to be careful not to throw the bath out with the bathwater , and I say that as someone who has been critical earlier in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36 Joel Amartey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back