Player Watch #36: Kozzy Pickett – stacking up with the best after 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any merit in putting Kozzie maybe at half back in a Brad Hill type role?

Instruct him to demand the ball after a mark or a free kick, use his run and pace and bring some life into him and our defensive transition? Something needs to change.

Not according to the ever-insightful AFL.com.au match report :$

View attachment 1732779

I will consult the ever reliable Wheelo tomorrow for CBAs, but I’m gonna say it’s safe to assume the number will be 0.

Yep, 0 CBAs. Although he had 1 clearance, so might have been put into a couple of stoppages potentially - all 4 of his disposals were outside of 50.

Been looking back over this form though and not as convinced he gets dropped this week now. Have a feeling Goody will chalk it up to a young player being shut out of a game and hope they learn from it. He seems in that group of players that have lots of Goodycoin and would take a fair bit to get dropped.

Is there any merit in putting Kozzie maybe at half back in a Brad Hill type role?

Instruct him to demand the ball after a mark or a free kick, use his run and pace and bring some life into him and our defensive transition? Something needs to change.

I pondered that too. Daniel Rioli is a good case in point transitioning from an inconsistent small forward into an excellent rebounding defender.

Doubt Goody will risk the change in-season but I'd love to see it tried.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Incredibly lacklustre season

Overall it's actually not been THAT bad as a big picture, but the problem is he's had a few games where he's been invisible. All his season averages are tracking about right compared to his last few years, he's even tackling a bit more, but it's those games where he just has no impact that stand out now as are expectations are (rightly) higher for him.

I pondered that too. Daniel Rioli is a good case in point transitioning from an inconsistent small forward into an excellent rebounding defender.

Why though? We have Rivers Salem and Bowey behind the footy already as rebounding defenders the last thing we need is another one. Meanwhile Kozzy has been one of the best small forwards in the league while Rioli never was

Can't see it happening for two reasons:

1) We have more than enough half backs
2) Kozzy is too unpredictable and we like the back half to be very 'safe' (Just ask Frosty and Hunt)

Yep, 0 CBAs. Although he had 1 clearance, so might have been put into a couple of stoppages potentially - all 4 of his disposals were outside of 50.

Been looking back over this form though and not as convinced he gets dropped this week now. Have a feeling Goody will chalk it up to a young player being shut out of a game and hope they learn from it. He seems in that group of players that have lots of Goodycoin and would take a fair bit to get dropped.

Does Wheelo have number of CBAs? I can only see CBA%, but this is also my first time looking at the site so it's probably staring me in the face.

Does Wheelo have number of CBAs? I can only see CBA%, but this is also my first time looking at the site so it's probably staring me in the face.

There's a few different ways you can suss it out - For this one I just looked at the match stats and his CBA %. I'm sure they used to have a CBA number under the player game stats, but can only see % there now. Although they do have an average in the season player stats.

Fair call re not moving Kozzy back, just trying to think outside the box.

It's either that or drop him but he's too talented not to be impacting at AFL level

(Of course more midfield time is the best option but for some ****ing reason Goody is now refusing to play him there at all).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call re not moving Kozzy back, just trying to think outside the box.

It's either that or drop him but he's too talented not to be impacting at AFL level

(Of course more midfield time is the best option but for some ******* reason Goody is now refusing to play him there at all).

Reckon a run in the guts in the VFL would be great for him. I'd also give him a go mixing it up at half back there to see if he could do what Davey briefly did for us. Playing him forward in the VFL he'd just be too ****ing good I reckon although that could also be the simple path to getting his form back.

Why though? We have Rivers Salem and Bowey behind the footy already as rebounding defenders the last thing we need is another one. Meanwhile Kozzy has been one of the best small forwards in the league while Rioli never was
Yep like when they threw Fritsch back when he was clearly a forward

Something is clearly off with him. He seems completely off the pace most of the time - too far away to impact contests or tackle, or when he is in range he either lightly tackles (oppo slips it) or fumbles the ball. He looks completely bereft of confidence at the moment.

I've flip flopped between wanting him dropped and giving him more time because he is clearly supremely talented. But, I dunno what the right answer is. I just hope he gets out of this rut quickly.

I will consult the ever reliable Wheelo tomorrow for CBAs, but I’m gonna say it’s safe to assume the number will be 0.
i don think kozzi attended any centre bounces but i noticed he was often around the midfield stoppages (hanging around the outside), he just didn't seem to get near it

i don think kozzi attended any centre bounces but i noticed he was often around the midfield stoppages (hanging around the outside), he just didn't seem to get near it
Yeah as above - He had a stoppage clearance and all (4) of his disposals were outside 50, so they may have at least moved him higher up, but I think CBAs is where it's at in terms of getting him involved.

I reckon the core of his game has been forgotten. His #1 responsibility should be pressure. Forget the stats sheet and the Mr. Fancy sheet.

I reckon the core of his game has been forgotten. His #1 responsibility should be pressure. Forget the stats sheet and the Mr. Fancy sheet.
Yeah nah he was crap. A good coach would have got around him by now and said forget the scoreboard, I want a game of 10+ tackles and some smothers and then build from there. Instead it seems to be same old same old.
Agree with both. He seems a bit lost atm but is at his best hunting opponents and getting involved through pressure/tackles.

I'd rather ANB and Harmes dropped before the FC even consider moving Kozzy down back

He is our best small forward by a country mile and he is just going through a touch period

He is getting to the right spots and works hard, just isn;t showing up on the scoreboard

Yeah nah he was crap. A good coach would have got around him by now and said forget the scoreboard, I want a game of 10+ tackles and some smothers and then build from there. Instead it seems to be same old same old.
Sorry, missed this. I agree with you. I did mean forgotten by the coaching staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36: Kozzy Pickett – stacking up with the best after 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back