Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - signs 1yr extension - Roo til end 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of things that stood out for me after checking out this week's game:
  • He's looking more and more like a legitimate midfielder by the week. His stoppage/clearance work this very good this week with his cleanliness below his knees and quick hands standing out. We might be the first team in AFL history to fill a whole list with only midfielders.
  • Doesn't waste his possessions. Tries to compose himself and find targets, but knows when to clear from a stoppage with a dump kick. A lot of juniors don't have the judgement, patience or composure to know when right option is the dump kick and they'll do it more often than not because it's safer than trying too much and getting caught HTB. Cooper picks his spots really well.

Concerns I have at this stage:
  • No discernable weapon. His decision making and composure are very good, as is his kicking over a short-medium distance (although this week he did under-kick a few), but neither are weapons at this stage. I'd love to see him get more ball in the forward half of the ground and delivering inside 50m.
  • Seem him struggled a bit too easily in a few situations when tackling head-on.

Looking forward to seeing him continue developing this year. As of right now I'd have him in approximately the 25-40 range of this draft crop.

EDIT: Oh and, 11 contested, 13 uncontested was the breakdown for his 24 touches.

Last edited:
I’m going to make an educated guess that we estimated him to be about 2nd round and part of the reason we included our 2nd round pick in the CCJ/Tarrant Trade.

I also have this sick feeling that the AFL will finally grant us a priority pick end of first round and some club will bid on Cooper around pick 17/18

I already know it will be Dodoro

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of things that stood out for me after checking out this week's game:
  • He's looking more and more like a legitimate midfielder by the week. His stoppage/clearance work this very good this week with his cleanliness below his knees and quick hands standing out. We might be the first team in AFL history to fill a whole list with only midfielders.
  • Doesn't waste his possessions. Tries to compose himself and find targets, but knows when to clear from a stoppage with a dump kick. A lot of juniors don't have the judgement, patience or composure to know when right option is the dump kick and they'll do it more often than not because it's safer than trying too much and getting caught HTB. Cooper picks his spots really well.

Concerns I have at this stage:
  • No discernable weapon. His decision making and composure are very good, as is his kicking over a short-medium distance (although this week he did under-kick a few), but neither are weapons at this stage. I'd love to see him get more ball in the forward half of the ground and delivering inside 50m.
  • Seem him struggled a bit too easily in a few situations when tackling head-on.

Looking forward to seeing him continue developing this year. As of right now I'd have him in approximately the 25-40 range of this draft crop.

EDIT: Oh and, 11 contested, 13 uncontested was the breakdown for his 24 touches.
Its grouse as we will trade midfielder with substantial currencies. There is one midfielder on our list which would 100% gain a ready made floating interception halfback

With only 2x 4th rounders to pay for Cooper, we really wouldn't want to see a bid in the top 20 or it will impact our first round selection in 2023.

Based on current output if somebody bid a top 20 I imagine we'd let him go. If he starts getting into that realm as the season goes on for sure we'd trade in to prepare.

Why ??

So you think we’d get better with two picks in the 50s

I did say based on current output. If he is bid on in the top 20 and we haven't prepared for it then somebody reached. The more he comes in the more we'll prepare for it (we'll definitely have plenty of points available).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - signs 1yr extension - Roo til end 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back