Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s more GAJ the more I think of it. Great bloodlines, As a junior, unfit, forward pocket with some potential.

We know the rest … 😉
Mmm, hopeful post but I’m not sure I’m completely on board. I was at GAJ’s second game, and at one point he beat Shannon Motlop pointless 1 on 1, Motlop being a recent premiership player. I’m wishing cooper well too, but I’m not sure I’ve seen him do anything remotely like Albert’s funny smarts and contest work as GAJ showed very early on

Mmm, hopeful post but I’m not sure I’m completely on board. I was at GAJ’s second game, and at one point he beat Shannon Motlop pointless 1 on 1, Motlop being a recent premiership player. I’m wishing cooper well too, but I’m not sure I’ve seen him do anything remotely like Albert’s funny smarts and contest work as GAJ showed very early on
Ablett was very average early in his career. He was a nothing player.

It took a kick up the arse from his teammates for him to pull the digit out and get serious about his football.

I sincerely hope that Cooper makes it as an AFL player as I do with everyone of the boys and girls on our lists each year.

But right now we are in the midst of the old Intraclub games, where we get carried away and think so many of our players are looking a "million dollars", when all they are doing is playing against one another.

The proof is in the pudding, which is when the real stuff starts on March the 16th this year. Best not to get too excited right now.
While there is truth in what you say Horace, I think you've got to factor in a few things; in the last four years we were rebuilding and even up to last year our list was probably one more cull from being where we needed to be as an up and coming football team. The extra year or two to players that have only been here for a couple of years so they have gotten a feel of AFL football and that experience, the bonding ritual, {I like to use that word in young up and coming teams} young players coming up together, and the "confidence factor", without doubt the most potent weapon in sport, will play a part this year, mark my words.

In years gone by our practice matches {not our intra club games where we play against our own players} we, in most of them have been well beaten and in the games that if you go back and check have only been 20 or 30 points, what you won't see is that in those games we were killed. In our practice matches this year you'll see flashes of what you haven't seen in a long time, promising players with talent showing the way with our senior players both gelling together forming exciting passages of play and opposition at times actually worrying about our players.

This might happen in small doses at the start, for a variety of reasons, but when it clicks, there are words I can't post here that you will be thinking. Finally, yes 3 and 4 years ago it was not pretty, the last 2 years wins/ losses aside the improvement was happening under our noses its just the negative attitude plus performances sometimes get in the way and when your finishing in the bottom three year after year, positive things are, outside the club, rarely brought up and sometimes even frowned upon. So Horace it is best to get very excited with the players we now have at the club, right now, this time of year while some supporters have been bullish over the last two years, it doesn't even come close to the excitement and energy and class we've bought to our club, are we still a little short on one or two positions, maybe, maybe not, but right now is exactly the time to take that leap of faith and believe in our young boys.

Put your hands out for our young "joeys" and in return
baby buddy GIF
watch with pride as they usher in the Shinboner spirit and slowly restore our club where it should be!

Last edited:
People putting a line through him already, joke.

How many years did Taylor Garner have to “get there” was it 9?

I’m always amazed when I’m reminded Shane Clayton is a premiership player.

There should be the Shane Clayton rule for whipping boys. If they are better than Shane, then they can’t be a whipping boy.
Shane was a much better player than any recent whipping boys.

People putting a line through him already, joke.

How many years did Taylor Garner have to “get there” was it 9?
Taylor couldn't get over his injuries unfortunately Uncle_Leo, we gave him probably one or two years extra to see if he could put those injuries to bed but in the long run it was evident that it was just going to keep happening. Such a shame because he did have the ability but like lots of football players that its happened to, their body is just not meant for the rigours of AFL. I'm sure for the last five or so years when your entering your prime he must have been thinking this...
Bad Luck Fx GIF by Y: The Last Man

Taylor couldn't get over his injuries unfortunately Uncle_Leo, we gave him probably one or two years extra to see if he could put those injuries to bed but in the long run it was evident that it was just going to keep happening. Such a shame because he did have the ability but like lots of football players that its happened to, their body is just not meant for the rigours of AFL. I'm sure for the last five or so years when your entering your prime he must have been thinking this...
If cursed means not presenting yourself in the best possible condition then yes he was cursed.

Maybe if he has taking his rehabilitation a bit more seriously he may have made it

9 years!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett was very average early in his career. He was a nothing player.

It took a kick up the arse from his teammates for him to pull the digit out and get serious about his football.

GAJ wasn’t average by any means from his second season in 2003 onwards. He played off the bench in 2002 and did some nice things but his fitness was lacking, after one preseason he comes out and played full games at half forward, kicking 25 goals for the year and averaging 15 possessions in a team that won 7 games.

While it’s accurate that his teammates gave him honest feedback, this was in the 2007 preseason when he was already a very good player, he became a superstar and launched himself into the top 20 players of all time from that year onwards.

It’s fair to say if Cooper jumps out in his second year and kicks 25 goals, we will be dancing in the aisles of Marvel.

I still question his lack of pace but he does seem to overcome that with footy iq and hard work right now.

Tbh, he’s filling out into a little tank.

He’s just quick enough, certainly when coupled with this powerful body shape he is filling out into.

He was absolutely superb in the first half particularly.

The way he snaps around his body within traffic and still nails his man is almost taking the piss. His confidence going for goals is also, taking the piss. I’m not sure what will be the thing that gets him to being a PC type starter but I feel it may be speed, tank or versatility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - syndesmosis injury vs Nthrn Bullants in VFL - will miss six weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back