AFL Player #37: Nic Martin - Looks like he has a runny nose

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that Duursma and Redman are coming back, please remove him from defence. He made an impact forward straight away vs Carlton and Collingwood.
Duursma as a winger? I'm assuming you mean Kelly to defence

I quite like the way we've been using him recently with him starting off half back and then when we need a momentum change we swing him up further on the ground. It also works well together with the flexibility we've been building with guys like Hind, Kelly etc. Its harder for opposition to deal with than if we just play him forward permanently where he has a set opponent and matchup.

At least if nothing else even if he goes back to playing wing or half forward all the time he'll have learned some valuable lessons on how to defend. I definitely don't think its been a waste.

Duursma as a winger? I'm assuming you mean Kelly to defence

If we had another tall KPD, I'd have Kelly and Laverde fighting over one spot. With McKay and that other person as our talls, Ridley as interceptor, Laverde/Kelly as a taller medium defender, Redman as a smaller medium defender and McGrath as a small defender.

I'd still have Hind and Heppell rotating through there for now, but Hind also has some time on the half-forward line and Heppell has some time on the wing. We need to find another lockdown small with speed and some offensive weapons to give us flexibility with McGrath.

The club should be playing Hayes, for a few games to see if he can settle in. If he can't we can make a better long-term decision on him now.

Could he eventually play on the ball?

Didn't he say earlier in the year that he'd like to play on ball? I wouldn't mind if they tried him there, it's worked with Durham and Caldwell spending more time in the middle so it might work with Martin as well. Plus he normally has great disposal into the forwardline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree he's currently not hard enough but no reason he can't improve that in the next 2 years
He's shown no improvement in that regard for the last 2 and a half years is a pretty good reason.

Probably a bit too much fixation on his starting position, to me it looks like he has lisence to go where he wants, hes across half back, deep back, pops up in the forward half - my guess is they have said see that daicos guy? You could be him- without all the free kicks and flagellation of course
Except he isn't scoring or creating as many scores until the 2nd half when we move him forward.

21 disposals at 90%

If he gets less of it but more influential, that's a net positive and something I would be ok with
he wasn’t trying to over kick it or be some wizard. just using it well

Most of the good kicks in the comp are that way because they keep it simple, they keep the ball moving and pass to the leads 20 or so metres in front of them.

When Nic's in the middle/front half he looks to do this. When he plays off half back I guess he doesn't see these options as easily, has a bit more time to think, and tries to hit miracle balls beyond his abilities instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back