AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we disagree on the value of the HB position. I think it’s very important as far as creating good transition attack.

I also think we have too many smalls and it’s hurting our team balance. Trading players for unders is bad value so if any of our smalls can play other positions and allow more of them to play together in a functional system then I’m all for it.
I respect you for having a different opinion and sticking to it, but agree to disagree.

Polled the most Brownlow votes of any defender in the AFL.

Didn't make the AA squad ☠️
When everyone was crying about how good Massimo is now I made a point of highlighting the recency bias pervading the AFL industry. Granted, Marto wasn’t an out-and-out wingman this year but as a point of comparison he had a vastly superior season to Mass. He was easily the better player of the two for the first 2/3 of the season, kicked multiple goals from HB and got his own ball in congestion regularly. But because Mass had a flying finish to the season in a winning team he gets elevated to AA squad hype. Mass only outdoes Marto in the field-kicking department, nothing else.

Last edited:
Best and fairest voting is consider to be the most accurate indication of how coaches see the performance of players.

Could you have a better indication of how broken Essendon's priorities are that Martin placed 2nd in the BnF?

A front runner who can't even hit targets...

team america vomit GIF

Best and fairest voting is consider to be the most accurate indication of how coaches see the performance of players.

Could you have a better indication of how broken Essendon's priorities are that Martin placed 2nd in the BnF?

team america vomit GIF
Besides Caldwell and Durham (who are both very much debatable) who else below Martin in the count do you think had a better year than him?

Even if we concede those 2 had better years, the 4th best player finishing 2nd is hardly a travesty.

Unless you are suggesting that McKay, McGrath, Langford etc. had better seasons…

Last edited:

team america vomit GIF
Carn Bruno.

Hes one of the few guys that takes the bull by the horns when the game is on the line and takes aggressive options, he never goes into his shell. Just because someone isnt an inside bull doesn't make them a front runner or downhill skier.

Basically wins the game for us against Adelaide, kicks clutch goals on anzac day when Langford shit the bed, almost drags us across the line against Melb when we had no right to do even be close. Memory is a bit hazy as had a few beers at the bulldogs game but fairly certain he had a number of corridor kicks in the 3rd and 4th that led directly to goals too.

I wouldnt be fussed with most players being traded for right price but the non-negotiables for me are Merrett, Martin, Caddy, Durham, Caldwell as they are the only ones who show the competitive resolve required week in week out.

Besides Caldwell and Durham (who are both very much debatable) who else below Martin in the count do you think had a better year than him?

Even if we concede those 2 had better years, the 4th best player finishing 2nd is hardly a travesty.

Unless you are suggesting that McKay, McGrath, Langford etc. had better seasons…

Well I don't rate Martin's season so take your pick.

Goldstein was more influential in more games than Martin was.

We won games in spite of Martin's butchery. We would not have won games in which Goldstein put on clinics in the middle.

Well I don't rate Martin's season so take your pick.

Goldstein was more influential in more games than Martin was.

We won games in spite of Martin's butchery. We would not have won games in which Goldstein put on clinics in the middle.
I am struggling really hard to reconcile this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #37: Nic Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back