AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts - Signs on until 2026 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not confident anyone at Essendon can competently teach defensive running patterns
If we brought D'Ambrosio back he could teach us all what he learnt at Hawthorn.

I will give an another insiders tip. His understanding of the defensive running and play has been a work in progress .

And a simple free tip. Robo will do anything to have Hird / Sheedy / Dodoro in control.

Why are they singling Roberts out though? Heppell’s supposed to be this all time great leader, surely he can lead him at AFL level?

It’s especially harsh considering we play Kelly and Laverde - both okay at one on one defending, but genuinely awful at everything else (especially defensive running and positioning).

I will give an another insiders tip. His understanding of the defensive running and play has been a work in progress .

And a simple free tip. Robo will do anything to have Hird / Sheedy / Dodoro in control.
The article isn't Robbo, it's Landsberger, and if Landsberger is trying to get Scott out of a job then he's doing it wrong: "There is also complete faith in Scott, who is regarded as the complete coach both on and off the field, which is important for a big club."

I don't know what the obsession is with the number of players to make their AFL debut since Scott took over though. When he came into the role we'd just sacked anyone who Truck hadn't already given a debut to (read: McBride, Eyre, Brand, Montgomerie...). Then a couple of them have had long term injuries either before they were drafted or very shortly thereafter (Hunter and Jayden Davey). The club went out and brought a heap of established players into the club, which Scott gave club debuts to but they'd already played for other clubs so they don't go under the AFL debut column on the stat sheet. It's not like we haven't changed our list in the 3 years.

Archie Roberts is really the only viable candidate for an AFL debut at the moment, which makes it pretty obvious why Scott hasn't debuted more of them imo.

The article isn't Robbo, it's Landsberger, and if Landsberger is trying to get Scott out of a job then he's doing it wrong: "There is also complete faith in Scott, who is regarded as the complete coach both on and off the field, which is important for a big club."

I don't know what the obsession is with the number of players to make their AFL debut since Scott took over though. When he came into the role we'd just sacked anyone who Truck hadn't already given a debut to (read: McBride, Eyre, Brand, Montgomerie...). Then a couple of them have had long term injuries either before they were drafted or very shortly thereafter (Hunter and Jayden Davey). The club went out and brought a heap of established players into the club, which Scott gave club debuts to but they'd already played for other clubs so they don't go under the AFL debut column on the stat sheet. It's not like we haven't changed our list in the 3 years.

Archie Roberts is really the only viable candidate for an AFL debut at the moment, which makes it pretty obvious why Scott hasn't debuted more of them imo.
We had 7 players make their AFL debut in both 2021 and 2022, which was 3rd and 4th most respectively.

I think part of the reason we have had so few debuts the last two years is because anyone worth debuting had done so, save for Roberts and Hayes this year.

We had 7 players make their AFL debut in both 2021 and 2022, which was 3rd and 4th most respectively.

I think part of the reason we have had so few debuts the last two years is because anyone worth debuting had done so, save for Roberts and Hayes this year.
And we have not taken as many in the draft :)

Why are they singling Roberts out though? Heppell’s supposed to be this all time great leader, surely he can lead him at AFL level?

It’s especially harsh considering we play Kelly and Laverde - both okay at one on one defending, but genuinely awful at everything else (especially defensive running and positioning).

The concept is about understanding and not going off script . Heppell understands and up until 4 weeks ago played the role okay despite his speed deficiency . It is a fine line between value of understanding the game plan and actual output or lack of it. It has got to the stage where he should play but they have been working on what has been an area he needed work on.
Not sure I agree on Laverde or Kelly as far as defensive running goes. Kelly does a crap load of defensive running. Usually covering whoever Martin or McGrath have left when they are heading upfield. The issue with Laverde and Kelly is they are like Heppell. Getting nearer to the end than the start.
Then there is also the fact he is a skinny kid in his first year .

Are most of the senior players understand of defensive running and play any better?
They understand it . Performing it well that is the fine line.

Well they should definitely not be in the team if they understand it and choose not to do it. That’s worse than not knowing it imo
Agree . Up until three weeks ago I can understand why he kept the same side other than the odd selection. I would have played Roberts against the Crows .
It is just info I have from my training guy as to why .
It will be a joke if it ends up the same this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Archie’s mobility, kicking penetration and general enthusiasm would more than make up for any perceived leadership and organisation we think Heppell brings and now there are no stakes, so it is absolutely time.

He deserves it

Have watched plenty of VFL this year and absolutely love what he has done. Runs all day, really tidy by foot and whilst he still needs to develop physically - he has a sneaky mean streak in him - Goodluck Archie!

I have only watched alittle so happy for the main watchers to correct me but he also seems super vocal. Always looks like he is chatting.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts - Signs on until 2026 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back