AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts - Signs on until 2026 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Just has “it”

You know when you can’t put your finger on it? Is it the composure under pressure? Is it the appetite for the contest? Is it the willingness to push? To help out team mates?

I dunno but he just has something about him. Also, at 184cm, he looks BIG already. Unless that’s compared to our small players 😂

eDPS ant555 noobermensch
Why do you think Archie was such a big draft slider. He was touted by most experts as a late first rounder yet on draft day he kept drifting out to the point where I was watching him specifically in the hope that he’d fall to us. I wasn’t expecting it so late.

Got to thank Matthew Lloyd that we picked him up.

eDPS ant555 noobermensch
Why do you think Archie was such a big draft slider. He was touted by most experts as a late first rounder yet on draft day he kept drifting out to the point where I was watching him specifically in the hope that he’d fall to us. I wasn’t expecting it so late.
Was he touted by most experts as a late first rounder? I think Cal might have had him there, but I don't remember many others being that bullish on him.

My memory is that that there was a cluster of similarly rated rebounding half backs that could fall anywhere from the early second round to late in the draft, and Roberts was among that group. So the teams that had room for another player of that type took turns picking the one they preferred, and Roberts ended up getting taken quite late. There were others from that group that missed out entirely like Philactides.

He played his best footy last season in the APS comp. Was okay but not great at Talent League level, and was a little better at the Champs but still mostly doing the same thing, so he didn't make himself stand out from the pack really. For me, the other half backs looked to be a little more dynamic and athletic at the time.

e: I think the main difference I've seen from last year to this year has been the intensity that he competes at, throwing himself into contested situations with no regard for his safety. My memory of him last year was the he was much more laid back. You just don't know how guys are going to take to a professional environment, so much of it is believing that you belong there.

Last edited:
Was he touted by most experts as a late first rounder? I think Cal might have had him there, but I don't remember many others being that bullish on him.

My memory is that that there was a cluster of similarly rated rebounding half backs that could fall anywhere from the early second round to late in the draft, and Roberts was among that group. So the teams that had room for another player of that type took turns picking the one they preferred, and Roberts ended up getting taken quite late. There were others from that group that missed out entirely like Philactides.

He played his best footy last season in the APS comp. Was okay but not great at Talent League level, and was a little better at the Champs but still mostly doing the same thing, so he didn't make himself stand out from the pack really. For me, the other half backs looked to be a little more dynamic and athletic at the time.

e: I think the main difference I've seen from last year to this year has been the intensity that he competes at, throwing himself into contested situations with no regard for his safety. My memory of him last year was the he was much more laid back. You just don't know how guys are going to take to a professional environment, so much of it is believing that you belong there.
I might be misremembering but I thought a number of draft watchers had rated him highly. I’d read a bit around that time that obviously had me thinking he’d be worthy pick before we ended up taking him.

eDPS ant555 noobermensch
Skinny . Some defense issues.

eDPS ant555 noobermensch
My concern is that he was mostly attacking focused and he wasn’t damaging enough to compensate and I also had queries on his contested game. He has just about addressed all my concerns in the VFL, I feel he has definitely risen up a level since being drafted.

My concern is that he was mostly attacking focused and he wasn’t damaging enough to compensate and I also had queries on his contested game. He has just about addressed all my concerns in the VFL, I feel he has definitely risen up a level since being drafted.
That’s a testament to not only his mindset but perhaps also (shock-horror) to our development team. Perhaps we are turning a corner in bringing these rough diamonds up to an AFL standard 🤞

It goes to show it's sometimes worth being patient and letting the young guys develop in the 2s instead of throwing them to the lions straight away. Thought they've done well with Caddy in that regard too.
Hopefully Hayes/tsatas will show similar results when they finally get an extended run in seniors too.

It goes to show it's sometimes worth being patient and letting the young guys develop in the 2s instead of throwing them to the lions straight away. Thought they've done well with Caddy in that regard too.
Hopefully Hayes/tsatas will show similar results when they finally get an extended run in seniors too.
if anything it's evidence of the opposite. that players in their first few years can perform well in the 1s, when given an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course holding a young bloke back for a 4 or 5 extra weeks before he earns his spot has never worked in the past.
Since when has earning a spot been an issue for this team?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #38: Archie Roberts - Signs on until 2026 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back